Looking for a 330GT 2+2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Looking for a 330GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by xpensivewino, Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

I'm getting "reserves not met" not sold.

2. Dream330

Dream330 Rookie

Nov 9, 2009
    I have a 1965 330 GT 2+2 I am considering selling. It is black/tan and the serial number is 7761. It was a trailer queen that traveled the U.S. for many years. I have awards from all over and letters from the people at ferrari praising the car and restoration. I have extensive history and documentation for the car. The car is priced at $137,500.00. If anyone would like more information let me know.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    #28 ArtS, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Welcome aboard!

http://www.330gt.com/Detail/7761.html - from Kerry's site. Very early Series 2 with 4 mount engine and steel floors.

Nice car, does it still have the French headlights? Are the mechanicals original or re-built?

Regards,

Art S.

4. Dream330

Dream330 Rookie

Nov 9, 2009
    Headlights are definitely yellow. The car has been completely restored.

5. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I love this car but is very pricey...It is worth it, but out of my league...I am tracking a few cars but information is very slow forth coming...I can say one thing this 330 crowd is so much better than the 348/355/360 group... I hope I can achieve my vintage goal...

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Really? I'm getting "Bidding has ended for this item."

Dream330, your car looks very nice, and is a very attractive color combination with a great concours history.

xpensivewino, this is indeed a group, and very helpful. I hope you achieve your vintage goals, too. Patience works wonders, just as you said earlier.

7. 330GT2+2

330GT2+2 Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2005
    Texas
    Full Name:
    330gt2+2
    car is back up...seems a little fishy to me..high bidder had high bid at $85k then seconds later bid to $90k--with 5 days left no less..makes no sense. nice example though- gray and tan just doesn't quite do it for me-

8. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    There have been 2 auctions for 8523:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=270477112928 which ended early with no reason specified.

The current one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270482415725
    has a comment:
    This auction is a re-list due to too many bidders insisting that there be a "buy it now" price during the first auction. There is now a "Buy It Now" price, but please note that the reserve is much lower than the "buy it now" price. Under no circumstances will the auction be ended early for any amount below the the "buy it now" price.....no exceptions!

But, I don't see a Buy It Now price! There is not a 'Reserve not Met' message, so evidently the reserve has been met with the current 90K bid.

9. ferrariblex

ferrariblex Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Full Name:
    Brandon Blexrude
    "Buy It Now" prices on ebay disappear once the reserve is met and it indeed has been met on s/n 8523.

10. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Ferrari of Newport Beach was asking $109K for 8523 when I talked to them in fall '07.

11. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    I assume that everyone interested has taken notice of the black 365 Gt 2+2 at Heritage Classics?

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    The Original Poster is looking for a 330, not a 365. Although I love the 365's interior, its exterior doesn't work for me.

13. jchuka

jchuka Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    Manhattan Beach, Cal
    Full Name:
    John P. Chuka
    expensivewino:
    I've also looked for quite awhile at the 330 gt market and good luck in your price range. Several very nice ones went for over $100,000 within the last year or 2.

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    The problem is that it costs a LOT of money to properly restore any vintage (hand made) Ferrari (mechanicals are the same, body is similar construction and there is more interior to do than the 2-seaters). Most that have been 'spruced up' to flip have had corners cut while long term owners who have not cut the corners have sunk a lot of money into their car. Thus a long term owner must really need/want to sell a car they set up to their liking in order to be willing to take the loss necessary to sell at the OP's price range. I'm sure it happens but you must be very patient and knowledgeable to recognise the opportunity from the shiny cars prepared for resale.

Regards,

Art S.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well said, Art.

16. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Art as usual is spot on, remember, there aren't many survivors (at best 250-275 of the 2HLs) and most of the really solid cars (as opposed to pretty) are in the hands of guys that would never sell them. Here in the mid atlantic I know of five terrific cars that the owners would't part with for even a multiple of the current market. So Art's advice is spot on, be patient, look at every car that comes up, pay most attention to the not shiney stuff, it's those bits that make these cars such fun to drive. Good shiney bits are a plus, but not required. Good hunting, M

17. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    Who knows if it's still there, and likely a savvy owner will also have posted online at the usual places, but:
    While attending the SCCA NARRC runoffs in October, there was an paper ad for a nice looking 4 headlight 330 pinned to the bulletin board by the restrooms. Dark Blue, I think.
    I'm sure a polite call to the Driving Impressions shop at LRP could persuade someone to jog down the steps and see if it's still posted!

18. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    #43 DBR328&330, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Indeed, well stated Art and Michael! I own a '67 330 GT 2+2 and have spent 5 years getting it the way I like it. Particularly in the last year it has gone thru an extensive but sympathetic resto and a cost no object engine rebuild and making the entire engine bay look and function like new. It will be home soon and I have no other plans for the car other than maintaining it. I am typical of alot of other 2+2 owners who realize we are the "geniuses" of the vintage Ferrari world- we get almost all the good things about the MUCH more expensive 2 seaters at a fraction of the cost. The next step up is at least double what our cars are worth, and with certainty I can tell you after all I've been thru I would not sell mine for twice what it is worth. If I had only one car, it would be the 330 and I would walk when it snows!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ferrariblex

ferrariblex Karting

Sep 28, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Full Name:
    Brandon Blexrude
    Daniel,

The photos of your stunning 330 GT Series II are a true testimony of your enthusiasm for the 330 GT model. I and the previously owner of s/n 9809 spent well over $125K bringing her back to her former glory so I understand why the sacrifices you have made don't need to make financial sense. IMO, 330 GT Series IIs are the most undervalued and the best-kept secret of the vintage Ferraris as they are not only fun to drive and outstanding performers; you can actually use them because of the extra seats. There's nothing like sharing one's enthusiasm for the Ferrari marque by taking a group of friends or pretty girls for a ride in a 330 GT :)

20. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    What is now obvious is Dan is one of those 5 330 owners in the mid atlantic I cited, M

21. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #46 peterp, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
    Definitely in the same camp. I bought a very original series 2, invested up-front going through everything before taking delivery, and have just been enjoying it since. I can't imagine any circumstances where I'd part with it.

22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just got the most recent Ferrari Market Letter. There isn't a single one in it. And there hasn't been for a long time.

23. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Series 2 is out of my league, but I have been looking for a while...so anyone able to step up, this appears to be a great car to buy, for a series 2 car. Good luck!!

24. cdu

cdu Karting

May 30, 2007

Do you run it with the oxygen sensors on each exhaust port or was that only for tuning?

I've always wondered how one of these would run with TWM throttle-body FI....