Looking at an AR Stelvio | FerrariChat

Looking at an AR Stelvio

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by niklas, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    It’s about time to pick up a new daily as mine has lived past its shelf life. I was considering a somewhat sporty car (ie. Infiniti Q60 Red, Corvette, BMW 2/4 series, AR Giulia etc) but where I’m living now I don’t think a sports car will help all that much in the winter. My current Jetta TDI is struggling as is.

With that said, I thought I’d turn my attention to AWD SUV’s, and the Stelvio caught my attention. From all I’ve read it seems sporty enough to scratch that itch I want, while being fairly good in the snow.

So what does the community say? Good idea or bad? Any owners like to chime in?

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Sporty is not an adjective I’d use to describe the Stelvio.
    I recommend renting one for a week. That may all the itch scratching you’ll need.

3. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    From the limited number of owners I talked to they described it as a fun car to drive with some decent power to it. Almost like a bigger Giulia.

Are they way off base? It seems like it could be enjoyable to drive.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Fun, yes. Enjoyable, yes.
    Sporty, sadly no.

It’s really just a big car. Comfortable, a nice, quiet ride, and with a sufficient amount of power. So from that standpoint, I can understand why someone would view it as a larger Giulia. Of the few SUVs I’ve driven, the Stelvio was one of nicest. But it has too many annoying idiosyncrasies for us to ever consider buying one. Anyone who can tolerate the aggravating central dash and console must truly hate themselves.

That’s why I suggested renting one for a week or so. The deal-killer for us was the electronic emergency brake, the button for which is on the center console. The wife accidentally hit it while we were traveling down the freeway. While that grippy sucker will hold the car on the steepest hill in San Francisco, we were lucky traffic was sparse or we’d be dead.

5. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Have driven my Stelvio QF some 20,000 kms last 18 months. Very happy with it w no issues. For an SUV, it drives very well. The relative lightness (eg vs Macan) is a big plus. Replaced my Levante and is clearly a much better car. Re interior, I like the design and all works very well in CarPlay. Not as full of modern tech as the Germans but this is not a problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cls, Makuono and Boomhauer like this.
  6. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    What year is your Stelvio?

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Why not a Giulia AWD then? I live in Chicago and have been DD'ing a BMW 3er for 3 years now and have never been stuck bc of the snow. Granted i do not go out when we have those huge snow storms, but then i dont think a Stelvio would fare that much better and anyone should avoid going out any way..

If you want sporty, try a Giulia AWD. I think the only reason to get an SUV nowadays is if you need the space all the time.

8. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    The Giulia AWD is still on my radar. It was the first car I was interested, then switched my sights to the Stelvio since I assumed it would be better in the winters we have here.

9. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    End 2017. So probably one of the early cars....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    And here I was worried about picking up a 2018, haha. Happy to hear you’ve had a great ownership so far. That’s what I like to hear

11. lineaTesoro

lineaTesoro Formula Junior
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Omar Fernandez
    Rented Diesel Stelvio in Italy back last May, for 12 days, Loved it as a daily driver. Feels light compared to my BMW X5 , It's a fun drive.

12. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I just leased a 2019 for 39 months, good deal , low interest. So far , solid, enjoyable, comfortable.

13. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Well, there doesn’t seem to be much of an inventory for the Stelvio here. I find myself slowly leaning towards a Giulia.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tried both the Gulia awd and stelvio. Frankly the stelvio felt big and ponderous compared to the gulia. I think we forget how much more fun it is to frivea car compared to an suv.

Got the Gulia last monday. Its fun.
    Unless you need the space or ground clearance of an SUV its frankly not the same thign as the car to drive, great for an suv, but the difference is quite noticeable.

Makuono likes this.
  15. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Appreciate the insight. I’ll be looking for a Giulia in the next few months

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    So my 250k mi Rav4 commuter is starting to show some issues. I need to trade this in soon for something before it is worth $0. Thinking about a used Stelvio. $25k budget. What's the scoop on this bad boy? Anything I should look out for? I am really happy with my Fiat built cars (Abarth and Jeep Wrangler). Huge fan of the company so would be cool to add another Italian brand to the fleet.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Way of base, drive a stelvio and gulia back to back. The stelvio is not bad for a suv but a barge compared to the gulia. One is fun for a suv the other about the best driving car you can buy today. Plus the Gulia sport Ti comes in awd so does winter just great. Best vehicle you can buy, esp if you like to drive imo.

ShineKen likes this.
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'd definitely consider a Giulia, but I need the space.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In a suv along with the Alfa try a Mercedes glc

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    $30k budget. Used Stelvio or NEW Bronco Sport??

21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Have a 2019 Stelvio , so far so good , we like it.

ShineKen likes this.