LongBeach GP 2018 | FerrariChat

LongBeach GP 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by thirteendog, Feb 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I've done it! Well it just kind of fell into place. I'm flying out to San Diego to pick up my best friend from Coronado and heading up to Long Beach for the race weekend. If you've been can you give me some pointers? We're staying within walking distance of the race and will probably hit up a hockey game if the Ducks or Kings are in the playoffs. Thanks everyone for the pointers :D

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I wanna go. I can finally wear my fanny pack

Dude, enjoy!

thirteendog likes this.
  3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

we will be there.

thirteendog likes this.
  4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    They still run this race? Who sanctions - IRL?

Talk about irrelevance - this used to be THE event of events...:(

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    have fun, it's a great event and a must do for any racing fan.

I would recommend GA tickets for Fri/Sat and grandstand tickets Sunday. GA tickets give you ability to roam around and see different viewpoints. on Sunday, lots of places accessible by GA ticket holders get roped off for reserved seat ticket holders.

there's a great vantage point on the second floor balcony area of the retail/restaurant complex in turn 1. you can see T1, the fountain, and T6/T7. also some good vantage points on the patio of the convention center (T7/8).

or, get an invite to a party in the condo/apartment buildings behind the back stretch :)

also, get a taco and Tecate from the King Taco truck. it's a tradition.

there's an exotic car show in the sports car paddock on Sunday that typically brings out some serious hardware.

Anthony James and thirteendog like this.
  6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Indycar (which is on a serious upswing), IMSA weathertech (also on an upswing), PWC, super trucks and drifting...plus "historic trans am", whatever that is. it's a great event.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm sure the event locally is still great. I'm not sure about Indycar on the upswing - it might be, but my general awareness dictates it's still too low. I SERIOUSLY forgot that they even ran Long Beach, which is a shame because that was always something you looked forward to.

8. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I'm not a massive fan of IRL, but I enjoy good racing. We got GA tickets for the race and plan to have a whale of a time.

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Fun track, hot women and a good time for all. I can't speak for the current cars racing but it should be a lot of fun. Enjoy!

10. Lotus91

Lotus91 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2014
    I used to live in LB and attended the Grand Prix from 87 to 99. Its a great track and a ton O fun.. every corner on the track is great viewing but try to get a reserved seat as the general admission tickets fill up the non reserved tickets quickly. sit across from the pits if you can or down by the last turn or hair pin. parking will be an issue but there is public transportation going and coming all of the time. Friday night Trans AM races are always a great event as is the IMSA race on Saturday. you will have a ball.

11. PWC and Weathertech on the same card? And then the IMSA gang hafta whip over here to Sebring by Tuesday? Sumpin's wrong with this picture, no?

12. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN

Thanks, We have plans to do Universal on Friday. It's the only theme park neither of us have been to. Also we're staying close enough to walk to the park :D. Thanks again for all the information guys!

13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    You need grandstand seating to watch the Indycar race on Sunday. You are not allowed to stand along the fencing in front of the stands because it supposedly obstructs the view of those who paid for their grandstand tickets. You will be asked to move along if you stop at any point in front of the stands. This can happen on Saturday for the IMSA race too, but tends to be more loosely enforced.

It wasn't always that way, but has been for the past few years (and getting worse). I've been attending for over a decade consecutively.

thirteendog likes this.
  14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMSA and PWC have been running together at Long Beach for years. holdover from ALMS, but still. works well for the most part.

they need to do it more often IMO.

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Any vintage cars this year?

16. Gotcha. When I posted, I was having (edit: another) one o' those senior brain far....:eek:

Aaaahhhh. Never mind. :oops:

17. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Old age is he'll. But at least we still look good doing it! :p

18. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Vintage Trans Am race this year... should be entertaining.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

The new car/aero package looks very nice! Finally a nice looking Indy car!!

Historic trans am on Friday morning. HMSA sanctioned...same group that runs the Monterey historics.

See you all there on Friday.

20. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    What a fantastic weekend. Thank you to everyone for the suggestion. I’m currently sitting on the beach in Coronado reflecting on all the fun we had. Thanks again!

21. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    PS, I’ll be at Road America this year as well. Hopefully Rossi can get another W :)

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Watched the Indy Car race live streaming and other than having to endure Leigh Diffey, it was
    thoroughly enjoyable.

Indy Car is definitely on the upswing. Hot young drivers such as Rossi, Wickens, Newgarden,
    Jones and Veach going against the old guard drivers like Power, Pagenaud, Dixon, Bourdais,
    the driving talent is deep in Indy Car now.

Yeah, yeah, its still a spec series but with the current crop of driving talent in Indy Car now,
    its fun to watch.

Someone mentioned hot women? Thread is useless without pics!

BHW

Dino246gt likes this.
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That move that Bourdais made was amazing. Shame he got a penalty for it.

Did you catch Scott Pruett as the Grand Marshall? "Hi to my family at home". I got a kick out of that.

24. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    IMSA race on Saturday was good. Indy Car race was great. 1000 # of missing down force changing the game in several ways.
    And yes, the Bourdais pass was amazing. Reminded me of Zanardi on Herta years ago.

lorenzobandini and GuyIncognito like this.
  25. The Corkscrew, no? :)