Locking gas cap missing pieces | FerrariChat

Locking gas cap missing pieces

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mexicruiser, Apr 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
  2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The steel cap is locked in place by a conical spring type lock washer appearing something like the one shown on the picture below. I have managed to source the raw key from a supplier in eastern Europe via ebay and if you are a little handy you can cut your own key based on thorough inspection of the lock or you can let a skilled lock smith do the job. I managed to hand file a master key for my fuel lock and got a spare key cut based on my homemade master key. The key type I believe is a AF-6D but I cannot verify that 100% before I return from business travel in 3 weeks time.

Good luck with the project and take good care of the fuel cap....It's near impossible to find one for sale (I bought the last one..-:))

Best, Peter

PS: You have to specify the type of key you want when you buy from below mentioned seller. The keys are cheap so buy enough spares to be able to play around with them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Uncut-Blank-door-key-Ferrari-208-328-308-365-DINO-BB-246-BB-512-GTO-412-400gt/372158205542?hash=item56a65b8e66:g:igcAAMXQhuVRM5OI

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mexicruiser likes this.
  3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

mexicruiser likes this.
  4. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you for your help, the pics were great to base my search, I found a very nice sturdy locknut, I think it is not metric but 5/16” but because of the design it doesn’t really matter, I also fabbed a rubber seal but It is too thick so will have to redo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    is the center cover for the locknut metal or plastic or rubber?

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It’s rubber.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    The challenge with the seal is that it needs to cover the locking mechanism as well. Otherwise the fuel will evaporate through the lock, dry it out and potentially make you garage smell. Let us know if you find a solution....I'm missing the seal on my backup cap...;) Your locking washer is looking good!

Best, Peter

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I promissed to verify the aftermarket key type. Her you go......Type JMA, AF-6D same as quoted above:

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login