LMP1 beats 2017 F1 lap record: Spa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

LMP1 beats 2017 F1 lap record: Spa

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, Apr 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The correct title should be KIT CAR based on LMP1 beats F1 car. ;)

Lets not forget most of the F1 records were set way back in 2005 on grooved tyres. That no restrictions car is as fast as F1 was 13 years ago. Impressive.

LVP488 likes this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    If only there was a racing series where unrestricted cars could run. Call it, oh, I don't know, Can Am or something. :)

daytona355, william, Makuono and 4 others like this.
  3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    How about we compare apples to giraffes ... o_O Let's see, here we have a car eligible to run in its series (F1) compared to a completely unrestricted car that hasn't been examined by any sanctioning body in over 1 year. What we need to see is an unrestricted F1 car going against the unrestricted Porsche at the same track on the same day or, alternatively, the Porsche vs an F1 car and with each approved by their respective sanctioning bodies for the year(s) they were eligible.

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Depends on how long tires would last before being blown apart.

5. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    They had that once, some team from Germany came in, outspent everyone, and everyone else left
    and the series soon disappeared.
    I wonder who that was........????? hmm.......

Oh, they tried to save it, put lots of new rules in to limit power, but it was too late by then..

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I really like the differences in the look, the wing, not having the holes over the wheel.

Very very cool of Porsche to do an unnecessary thing like this.

This is why we love cars.

7. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I just watched some video of it going around Spa.

The sound, wow, it is great! It is amazing what removing the restriction does for the audible track!

Then the tire smoke into Ea Rouge, impressive.

Absolutely amazing, way cool.

Good job Porsche!

daytona355 and Devilsolsi like this.
  8. Ya think? Very observant of you. Couldn't be G. Pepper wuz bein' sarcastic, eh? :p

9. And the same hierarchy banned a wonderful machine from Jim, on a much lower budget. So what's your point? Tech scare you?

" The fans draw air from the bottom of the car and send it—along with dust, debris, oil sprays, and the occasional grass clippings—to the back, presumably into the faces of other drivers. These drivers inevitably raised a stink to Hall about it: we can't see when you're in front, we're getting sprayed with all of this debris. "Well," said the taciturn Hall, "why don't you pass me then?" "

[​IMG]

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a32350/jim-hall-chaparral-2j-history/

daytona355 likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Porsche's modified LMP1 car - which beat the Spa F1 lap record - to tackle Nurburgring Nordschleife this weekend.

[​IMG]

NürScud likes this.
  11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NürScud and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    rdefabri, daytona355 and NürScud like this.
  13. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    ^^I shuddered!

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Porsche should leave the 956's record alone as that was an actual car used in sanctioned racing (quali for 1000km) and not modified for records. I rather they should do quick runs in different sectors over separate laps to get a hypothetical rather than an actual lap...

NürScud and lorenzobandini like this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They look awesome, and the pics are so good they almost look like a scene from a 4K video game....... amazing to see.

16. Agreed. Only pro'lem is it's a little late now. The damage is done (or are you talkin' The Ring?).

Nonetheless, the record still stands for a race legal car, so, actually, it does'na' really matter. :)

17. ZFFDT57

ZFFDT57 Formula 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Europe
    Full Name:
    I've got one
    On monday Porsche did some set-up runs with the 919 Evo on the Nordschleife, preparing themselves for a serious time trial, which is planned later (this month)...

If so and everything (car, driver, track and weather) comes together, they have the potential to go sub 5 minutes according to the very informative video linked below.

However, Timo Bernhard already stated on "Motorsport-Total-com", that just those set-up runs were physically and mentally enormously demanding for him!

18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That would be pretty crazy. BMW estimated their F1.06 (V8) would lap at 5:15.

19. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Maybe a new formula for F1 is needed. There has to be an antidote to the loss of interest that is currently happening. Higher speeds, more noise ,back to the real heros of the 60s. Yes there was a downside,but that's why they were heros.

20. I've voiced (stated) my opinion before but here it is again. If you haven't noticed, it's happening to all the venues. I believe the love affair with the automobile, especially competition, is fading.
    Sure there's still some, but that's why I say fading.
    Us old timers are dwindling. I still have passion for the sport but I don't attend nearly as many as I used to and I don't feel so bad if I only watch part or even miss the whole dang thing anymore.
    I don't think those coming up behind are as interested in the auto period. Changes ain't gonna cause the eyeballs to see if the minds behind them don't give a hoot in the first place.
    Just my thought on the sitiation. 'Wish it weren't so but...... :cool:

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Great video thanks for the link, I have a Nordschlefie lap record summer 1985 7.30...yep.....hours on foot in the bushes along the track thee is no footpath for much of the lap the green hell as they say:)

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    These lap records should come as absolutely no surprise given Porsche has taken off any
    restrictions put on the cars by ACO/FIA rules.

Already, the hybrid LMP-1 cars are marvels. Watching their performance at Le Mans the on board
    and low angle cameras reveal just how agile the cars are and how quickly they negotiate the turns
    and how effortless it all appears, but we know better.

Remembering back to a couple of years ago, our discussion leading up to Le Mans was how the
    new generation hybrid P-1 cars could potentially shatter the top speed record on the Mulsanne
    Straight. But, that never materialized in favor of the incredible cornering speeds these cars
    achieve.

What stood out to me last year were the helicopter shots of the cars however. From the air, it
    was plain to see how incredibly fast these cars accelerate out of the turns and when the electric
    motors kick in, they take off like rockets. It must be a helluva sensation behind the wheel.

These cars with no restrictions must feel like being in control of a ballistic missile.

Fun to watch.

BHW

23. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    No wonder lmp1 folded. They let them spend millions on making jewels that can go this fast and then restricted the hell out of them. What the point?

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The same old story in sports car racing, they have to try to keep things equitable between the
    teams. If one team is suspected of having an advantage, the others scream, on and on it goes.

BHW

25. #50 lorenzobandini, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    The point is you're mistaken. :p
    "They" didn't let them build anything but what fit "they're" rules....parameters if you will. Just as automakers build production cars to a certain set of parameters. Porsche merely, and rightfully, modified what it started with for more performance just to go after these records, just as anyone does with a car they want more performance from. I haven't heard (or seen) Porsche claim this should be a race legal car record, just an outright record for the circuits that they decide to run it on.
    The classes change often because the manufacturers decide when they feel they are not receiving enough ROI (return on investment), pull out, and the cycle starts again. 'Nothing new. ;)