living in Vail/Aspen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

living in Vail/Aspen

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Challenge64, Jun 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    That would be the idea, Ron- feet on the ground. You'd be in good company in Basalt and up the Frying Pan drainage. You might even come across the odd motorhead and perhaps a past Indy 500 winner or two. Even Michael with his Harley buddies pops up now and again. Also, Old Snowmass areas could allow for 'reasonable' building and a roof over your F- car collection. In the City, however, such an umbrella over your 360 could cost more than its occupant. 'New Snowmass'?, I'd forget it. Good luck!
    p.s. Might be a intro privet program this fall at CMC; yes, we do have it all!

2. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    That's interesting. Don't think it's true in Nov/Apr/May. In the off season there isn't much need the restaurant workers or hotel workers and most of the real estate agents. There are contractors in town working all year round and of course the hundreds of county and city employees as well as hospital workers.

3. 355/360Alan

355/360Alan Rookie

Feb 1, 2005
    I really enjoy the hiking and biking Aspen offers up. I have two time-shares that meet my needs--Hyatt downtown and Ritz in Aspen Highlands. I'll be in town most of August--my favorite month. Go down valley for year round living....just realize you have 8 months of winter! Hope to see anyone who may come in for the car show in August!

4. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

Congratulations on your FIRST post. Welcome.

Is the CECA car show a done deal or is it still up in the air?

The winters in Aspen are a piece of cake...if you live in town. Never have to drive if you don't want to. Last year was a bit unusual in that we had the biggest snowfall in recorded history. Usually we have several sunny days and then a snow. Last year it snowed almost EVERY day. I only ski on sunny days and had no problem getting in all the skiing my legs could stand (I don't ski two days in a row). I was only able to take the Fcar out one day in January. I usually like to drive it at least every one or two weeks. But the care started right up even though it sat from January to June. We were gone the last weel of April and all of May this year.

Life is good.

May the horse be with you. ;)

5. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #30 PhilNotHill, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Has anyone asked about Ferrari or Car events in Aspen?

10 years ago Hyde Jewelers, Girard Perregaux, and FNA/FCA had a 3 day event in Aspen that included track time at Woody Creek and cocktail parties all over town. It was the kind of weekend that hooked me on Aspen. Anything like that happen since?

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #32 PhilNotHill, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    Not to my knowledge.

FCA usually has one day of the Fall Foliage Tour come through Aspen. This year they are coming through Steamboat and Aspen is not on the agenda.

CECA (Colorado Exotic Car Association) has had a car show and track day at Woody Creek. There are a handful of Ferraris and a variety of other cars. It is always on the same weekend as the big auto/air show near Denver (Morgan Adams) so the turnout is usually about 20 cars here.

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac

no doubt, the aspen area is a great to be and live, as is Eagle- vail area, summit county , telluride, and even durango and crested butte....you basically cant go wrong with colorado...hope to try to get all the exotic car mountain people together for regular gatherings.....

9. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    There was an annual show at Highlands park - did that happen this year? Last year the Lotus club was in town at the same time as the CECA event, but had their own stuff going.
    There is a long standing classic car rally (oldest in Colorado) that is in Glenwood Springs every year hosted by the MG club but includes all makes and years of cars. There is an annual hot rod and custom show at the Glenwood Ford dealer that has had some exotics in it. Plus there are some small shows in Glenwood and Carbondale throughout the summer.
    Most of the cars around here are hot rods and muscle cars, but we're all just car guys and everyone seems welcome to any gathering. Today, there was a big group outside one of the audio places, but I couldn't stop to see what was going on.
    And let's not forget that the Colorado Grand starts in Vail and comes our way!

10. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #35 PhilNotHill, Jul 22, 2008
    No. It used to be 4th of July Weekend. Highlands changed it's marketing strategy. Events like this are a no no.

Note: I still possess the last and much coveted "Aspen's best Babe Magnet" trophy that I won with the F360 F1 Spider in my avatar. Life is good. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. dreams_and_aspirations

Jul 15, 2006
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A Ferrari wins the award, but a F-body still adorns the top of the statuette! Hope it at least has a V8 haha.

Back on topic, spotted three Smart cars in row struggling up Vail pass today. Guess they think they are stronger, in numbers lol

12. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #37 teak360, Jul 23, 2008
    Do some research about tree kill. Pine beetles are decimating trees in Colorado, and virtually every mature lodgepole pine will be dead in the next few years. Aspen trees are being killed too, possibly by fungus. I know Aspen mountain has large stands of Douglas Fir which are doing well.

13. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    So far we haven't had a problem here in Aspen...have heard of some pine loss down valley.

Breckenridge has embarked on a major pine spraying program. Stay tuned.

14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Spraying reportedly only staves off the inevitable temporarily. Little benefit, if any. And, it's costly.

CW

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #40 PhilNotHill, Jul 24, 2008
  16. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    actually, Phil, if you talk to the City Forester, it is a serious problem. Look NE up the Hunter Creek valley and you'll see a few brown trees already. You can have a tree service spray the trees on your own property, but the public land trees are sadly on their own :< cycle of life, i guess

17. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    +1 It is going to go all over eventually!

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #43 PhilNotHill, Jul 24, 2008
    Our city forester (pictured here) refused to say anything about the local beetle situation.

19. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    Yeah, that must be him, he's standing outside City Hall

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cool article on Leadville in todays NYT. My Dad trained there in the 10th.

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    leadville is a cool old town and at 10000ft elevation...

22. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I disagree on all accounts. On my short street, the neighbors that have sprayed (once a year I think) have no beetle problems. The one neighbor who has refused to spray has had to remove several tree because of beetle problems. I think I paid around $10 per tree. Yeah, if you have a lot of land that can add up. But with a standard sized lot ~$150 per year is not much to pay IMO.

-F

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #48 CornersWell, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
    I think spraying Vail mountain, Beaver Creek and all of Eagle County might be prohibitively expensive. Have also read that the spraying isn't 100% effective. However, it is certainly better than nothing. This has been discussed previously. I'll see if I can't find the thread.

Edit: See here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137511207&postcount=73

I remember a longer discussion, but that's the news on it from February. Also, they're only referring to the land leased by VA. All US forest lands have a problem, but they're going untreated. Far too expensive to address by the USFS. There is also a debate (somewhere) about whether Arborjet does any good whatsoever. Maybe I recall reading it in the Vail Daily. Just can't recall.

CW

24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Ron: You know we both love CO, and Aspen in particular. But if I remember correctly, there is a bit of an overzealous police presence, which left me a little cold. I still wouldn't mind being a part time resident.

25. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Oh I remember...

but I had the same damn thing happen a year later with some Arizona police presence..so I see Colorado as the lesser of 2 evils

besides in Arizona they're watching for me 12 months a year as opposed to Aspen where its safe to say maybe 6 tops...unless I can get studded snow tires and chains on the Stradale..