living in Vail/Aspen | FerrariChat

living in Vail/Aspen

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Challenge64, Jun 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    hey all!

my family and I are considering a move from Arizona to Colorado. I've lived in Denver as a child so Ive got an idea what life in Colorado is like...but what about living in Vail or Aspen?

Yes I know all about the high price of Real Estate (unfortunately)..but chime in please if you live up there with some thoughts about being a full time resident (Philnothill where are you??)

2. dreams_and_aspirations

Jul 15, 2006
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    First and foremost, Vail and Aspen are VERY different places.

My suggestion is to just come up and spend at least two weeks in both places and talk to as many locals as you can. Different atmospheres, with different residents, one just might not be suitable for you.

I picked Vail for the simple fact that I need to be able to get to Denver when I need to. With Independence Pass being closed in the winter (I don't even think its open right now) you're options in Aspen are to fly, drive three or four hours or sit and twiddle your thumbs.

If it weren't for the need to travel because of work, I'd most likely would have chosen Aspen, I prefer the restaurant selection haha.

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    thanks for the advice. Ive been going to Aspen for the last 10 years for both summer & winter vacations and just started going to Vail as well for the last 4 years for just summer vacations.

Ive talked to locals and because I grew up in Denver, I have high school classmates in both places. Both however are partial to each of their respective choices.

- one big plus for Vail is that it is closer to Ferrari of Denver and service.. :) and yes, restuarants are better in Aspen!

4. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah they are different. Since you are moving out with your family, there is also Snowmass. Another question is if any of your kids going to be in school when you move out? On a side note, Independence pass should open on this weekend!

5. Club Auto

Club Auto Guest

Mar 31, 2008
    Lakewood Colorado
    I would move to Aspen since you have the Woodycreek race track there. It might not be a fancy 8 mile track we are trying to build east of Denver, but its close and fun to drive!

6. dreams_and_aspirations

Jul 15, 2006
    Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
  7. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Privet schools are great for botanists. Private schools, on the other hand, may offer a more rounded education! Just had to kid you a little, Scott! ;)

Ron, next time you come to visit, send Phil (PhilNotHill), Mark (FerrariPanoz), and I a note and we'll try to get together for a beer. I think I would chose Aspen over Vail, but when you have enough money to buy in Aspen, you could look for the perfect place anywhere in Colorado.

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thanks for the offer. Guess I should have posted this a week ago as the family and I have just returned from a week in Vail.

From what I can guess..The big difference living up there is all about community. Again this is just a guess. And I think Aspen has that and Vail does not. Yes I read Vail has 4000+ full time residents, but I can't see that. At least in just Vail. Maybe they included west/east vail as well as Beaver Creek?

My wife loved Vail. It's newer, looks like a mini version of any given Swiss/Austria/German Alpine town, and has loads and loads of young kid things to do. (ie..bike paths, amazing parks, a pirate ship, ect..). Vail also has much easier access to big box stores and other towns to the east/west on I-70. But I keep coming down to the "community" issue.

btw - seeing as how this is Ferrarichat and not Movetocolordaochat..the +/- for Ferrari owners are - Aspen has a small racetrack and several resident Ferraris & Vail has easier access to service in Denver. I already spoke to Ferrari of Denver and they said that they can do pickups anywhere in the state. They will charge for it...but they can at least do it.

9. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    You could get snowed in in Aspen but Vail is no picnic either. I-70 in the Vail area was closed so many times this winter that I lost count. Heck, there's even snow in the forecast this Wednesday for the high country. Jeff Foxworthy famous for his "you know you're a redneck when .." also has one for Colorado. I've forgotten the entire joke but you'll get the point "you know you're from Colorado" if the 4 seasons are ... winter's coming, winter, more winter, still winter.

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #10 Challenge64, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    yea I heard there was alot of snow this season. When I arrived in vail last week it was basically still winter. But I thought the joke was something like "if you dont like the weather..wait 5 mins"

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Ron,

Couple of things. First, I'm not sure what they're counting, either. As a long time, 1/2 time resident of Vail, I can't even say. There has been significant growth, but I would generally agree that Vail proper (the Village and Lionshead) probably doesn't have 4000 full-timers. Generally speaking, Vail is too expensive for the locals to live in. Also, in Vail proper, you're mostly looking at Condos. There are relatively few single family homes. I'm not sure adding East and West Vail in would increase the number to 4000. However, there are many, many good areas to be in. Each has their own feel. The Village is certainly ground zero, though. You can certainly look a little bit down valley (Beaver Creek, Cordillera, Bachelor Gulch, Mountain Star, etc.), too. The further down valley you go, the further your dollars will go. Also, if you want a single family home, you'll have more selection. FOr current real estate listings, you can have a search on www.slifer.net. IMO, Slifer has the most listings. You can also look at Sonnenalp Real Estate and Ron Byrne & Associates. These are the big 3 in Vail. When compared to Aspen real estate prices, I do feel Vail is more "affordable" (relative term). This may be due to the acreage that accompanies the structures. In Aspen, it's more common to see bigger spreads. Whether that's for you is a question only you can answer.

Your point about community is apt. Vail has been in a long, steady transition from a destination resort town to a mountain community. It has all the things one would expect to find elsewhere (good and bad, of course). Vail will continue to transition. We're still undergoing a major renovation project (with mixed results, IMO), but in the end, it will be good for business. We probably don't have the boutique shopping that Aspen has, but, as stated, we are MUCH closer to Denver and the Cherry Creek mall when the mood suits. Also, we're much closer to Denver for things like concerts, sports competitions and there is discussion about a couple of new race tracks on the front range. Speaking of, it's true that Vail has no race track, and never having been to Aspen's, I really can't say what it's like. But, I wouldn't expect Road America, if you know what I mean. That said, it's better than nothing.

Again, we're closer to service at FoD, but you might also look into Dave Helms in Boulder. While I haven't used him, yet, I will. And, there is a small, independent service shop in Avon that can work on Ferraris. I've got his card somewhere.

Regardless, I don't think you can go wrong, either way. For me, I wanted closer access to Denver than Aspen provided. As I don't have my own plane, it was much easier. The drive to Denver is under 90 miles, and takes less than 90 minutes. Not terrible. I think they both offer comparable experiences with some differences. Vail sees the weekend ski traffic from Denver, for example. I don't imagine that Aspen does. Anyway, happy to share my thoughts with you if you need more info.

Regards,

CW

P.S. About the amount of snow...if this is what global climate change means for Vail, I say drive more!

12. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    Ron- although there's lots of f-cars up here ( Enzo's to 308's) and everything else as well ( Lambos, Lotusi and the odd 'vette or two), its really not a great motorhead town these days. Sadly, the Woody Creek track is closed to non-club members ( unless you're Elmo) except for the odd event (ie CECA), unless you can peel off 6 figures for a membership. And the roads are mostly 'under repair' and clogged with weary commuters, construction workers and wandering wildlife, except for the early morning hours when its just wildlife, a drunk or two and the odd county mounty looking for a big writeup. And to top it off, the most recent 'local' tirade concerns the 'noise' from the Harley crowd ( our Rolex Riders ) with pending legislation et al; my guess is the high rpm note we all love might be next on the list. Still, that doesn't deter alot of folk from hot lapping the 'town to tavern' loop and back again. If you want to really have fun, move to Roosevelt, Utah where the two lanes are ok and you're only dodging the elk and rabbits. Just my 2 cents,
    'erto

p.s. all we sell downtown, anyway, is handbags and condos; you'll have to visit Matt in the 'Springs to buy anything you really need
    p.s.s. and, as you can see, socialogically-speaking, all we have up here these days, are the very rich and the marginally disgruntled
    p.s.s.s. and, if you give us a few years, aspen, vail - all pretty much the same

13. greg

greg Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2004
    Tyler, Tx
    I would gladly live just about anywhere in Colorado, with exception of maybe, LaJunta. One day I will gladly leave East Texas.

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Wow...thats not encouraging! But it's gotta be better than sitting in Phoenix in summertime. In fact we too have weary commuters, construction workers and wandering wildlife too. plus the odd Scorpion or 3 to sit inside my shoes.

15. F-Bear

F-Bear Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Rob Weien
    Sorry Ron, it's not THAT bad! ( shouldn't have had that 2nd latte at Zele before logging on), but it IS challanging. It's also very rewarding. Soo..., if you make the effort, it'll be great. Still, the anti-carbon-use clique can be annoying for those of us that still have the temarity to 'just drive around'. And the local parking natzis can make your life pricey, if you do decide to stop for a bit. That being said, the skiing and all that is the best there is, so don't be put off by the rambling whinning of some old grump!

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    My wife and I used to spend a good deal of our vacation time in Aspen over the years with several friends ands family living there...but we found Aspen became increasing snobby over the years, losing some of that down home friendliness that Colorado is famous for....We found Vail to be a little too manufactored...this is not to say both places wouldnt be great to live in...Telluride is beautiful and quaint, but a little too isolated and small for full time living...We end up picking Summit county, in Breckenridge...between all the towns in summit county, all the ski resorts, golf courses, hiking, biking ,boating on lake dillion, town full service marinas, etc- there is so much to do and see, and people are friendly- not to mention we are just over an hour drive from the coors field and mile high stad, and the LODO downtown district of Denver....and if want to go vail, its about a 30-40 min drive on I70....and the best part is that housing prices are one third to one half the cost of aspen - vail, and they are appreciating at a faster rate....

17. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #17 PhilNotHill, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
    I applaud your decision.

We live in Aspen because of the Music Festival (classical-25% of the programs are FREE) but also enjoy:

the annual Food and Wine Classic
    Jazz Aspen Snowmass
    The many events and entertainment at the Wheeler
    The programs at the Aspen Institute (great speakers and programs)
    The lectures and dialogs at the Aspen Institute for Physics
    The medical programs at the Givens Institute
    The operas and opera master classes
    We have a great hospital IN TOWN
    All the wonderful restaurants within walking distance (no DUIs)
    Free bus and shuttle (don't need a car in Aspen unless you want to go out of town sight seeing)
    Living on a river and hearing it 24/7
    Woody Creek Raceway
    world class gold medal fly fishing
    the skiing is not too bad...4 mountains
    34 parks in town
    great tennis courts
    too many hiking trails to count
    the Maroon Bells
    Independence Pass picnics and hikes
    a rich history and historical preservation of Victorian architecture
    Beautiful landscaping
    because of the huge tax base, RE taxes are low
    the best rugby team around
    the annual Labor Day Volleyball tournament
    great public schools (a ski lift goes to the school parking lot)
    no Interstate highway traffic noise
    the grocery, hardware, cleaners and liquor store are two blocks away
    two free daily papers
    a great library
    a great public recreation center with an olympic sized ice rink and a much larger than olympic size swimming complex
    the police are freindly and laid back (no tickets for me, just warnings)
    Fireworks several times a year winter and summer

The people seem to be friendly. I find people here treat me the same as I treat them...just like everywhere else I've lived. ;)

I am sure I left several things out but we have to leave for a free concert now. too much to do and so little time. ciao

PNH

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #18 Challenge64, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
    Thanks!

we are still trying to decide. One thing is for certain. It is hovering around 110 degrees today ..maybe 115..here in Phoenix. We all hate it.

The biggest factor we have to consider is how nice a house we can get for the budget we have in mind. As nice as living in downtown Aspen sounds, or Vail for that matter, I cant see paying $1000.- to $2000 per sq ft for a place for 4 people to live. I have found nice big houses in East Vail/ West Vail as well as Basalt. So right now we are still considering both.

The hard part is we need to prune the car collection from 6 cars down to something that will fit in a 2-3 car garage too

19. MercedesSL600Man

May 20, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Full Name:
    BC
    Just curious, but have you looked at Telluride? I have said and will keep saying that it is my favorite town in the entire state. In fact I was just looking at a CD I had lost of pictures that my two friends and I took of our "Road trip" up there.

20. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    yes Ive looked there..but for me its too isolated. We want to move to Colorado full time

21. mjcdriscoll

mjcdriscoll Karting

Jun 4, 2005
    Parker, CO
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have to agree with the statement about Telluride. I have a friend that lives in Ridgway and absolutely love visiting and going to Telluride. It is also my favorite place in the US to ski!

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Telluride is absolutely beautiful. Ouray is beautful. As is Crede. Really.

But there is no culture there. So one has to decide what's important. Some people wouldn't go to a classical music concert or physics lecture even if you paid them. In Aspen you have all the mountain stuff:

Hiking
    Skiing
    Kyaking
    Jeeping
    Fly Fishing
    etc

and all the culture you can shake a stick at this side of NYC. And it is so accessible and cheap. I understand it's not for everyone...but I'd want my children to be brought up in that environment and be exposed to the finer things in life as well as the outdoors. Then they can make some good choices as to what they like and what's important in life.

Life is good.

PNH

23. MercedesSL600Man

May 20, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Full Name:
    BC
    Phil are you in the city or up in the mountains more? My aunt and uncle own a house in the 300 block of West Hopkins.

24. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #24 PhilNotHill, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    We live in town and back up to Hunter Creek which we can hear 24/7. It is so loud that my wife and I are taking up sign language so we can communicate. ;) We are only 2 blocks to the grocery, hardware and liquor stores. And the Hunter Creek Trail 9our favorite) is right out the back door. One of the advantages of living in a condo for old geezers like us is no snow shoveling, no yard work and the roof, heating and plumbing are someone else's worries. Houses that back up to rivers and creeks in Aspen are in the double digit million dollar range minimum.

Be nice to your aunt and Uncle. Houses in that area are worth millions. The average house in Aspen last year sold for $7 million. Tear downs were $5 million and lots are $2 million minimum and not right in town. Some of the speculative builders are cutting their prices. Fox Run just lowered a town house from $5,950,000 to ONLY $5,150,000. You have no privacy. No yard. And sit right on the bus line which is relatively noisy.

70% of the residential property in Aspen is bought with CASH so owners can wait for their asking price. Most of the houses are second homes and sit empty most of the time. I have been watching real estate in Aspen since the 60s and have seen it level off but never go down.

4th of July and Christmas/New Years are the busiest times here. Otober, November (before Thanksgiving) and May are the quiet times here. It's wonderful. Just locals. No parking problems. And the fishing is spectacular Oct/Nov.

Prices have definitely leveled off. We aren't seeing the 30-50% jump in prices we saw last year. Last year condos in our building were going for more than the asking price as people were outbidding each other to get property. Not so now. Finding a place to rent is still like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Owners can be very very selective on who they rent to.

Life is good.

25. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just saw in one of the local newspapers that there was a little under 10% of the population there right now....crazy. I don't know if you saw it also, but something like the number of people that go in the city to work matches the population already in the town. Therefore the total population doubles during the daytime in Aspen.