Lifting Stats | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lifting Stats

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by modena1_2003, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    No lifting shirt. Helps you brace the weight.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ah. Was reading about this on bb.com the other day. I was quite confused to say the least.

3. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    Depending on the shirt. A bench of 30-100 #'s more than what someone can do w/o a shirt is typical. Sometimes even more. I tried a shirt once and with just 135#'s on the bar, I actually had to pull the bar down to hit my chest. Can make a mediocre bencher into a competitor-essentially, legal cheating...

4. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mariusz Pudzianowski. He has gotten very cut up in the past few years but typically, it isn't about how you look in that kind of competition. Body building and strength training are two COMPLETELY different things. Take some of the big guys in this video. they are not looking for the six pack, but their core is stronger than most anybody with one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-1Z1mmJ1io

_J

5. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    He is a man of amazing strength and genetics and my favorite powerlifter. I can't help but wonder if HGH or other substances are used by him and countless bodybuilders. Back to reality lol.

6. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I'm 5'8" over 200 (cough). Yeah I need to lose some lbs.

Flat Bench: Pyramid up to 315 (middle set) and back down. Will work on increasing reps not add weight from here foward.

Leg Press: Pyramid up to 550 and back down. I don't do squats anymore after my lower back sprain from this.

7. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    I understand the difference. My point was that you insinuated that all power lifters a just amorphous masses that use shear size to move weight. Also, strength training and bodybuilding are not mutually exclusive. To achieve the size that bodybuilders do, using heavy weights or "strength training" as you put it, are/is necessary at some point in the process. The majority of serious bodybuilders do not maintain the lean cut look of competition mode between events. They may eat clean, but in quantities that are ludicrous for the average weight lifter. Then, precontest, the diet begins and again,depending on their weight class, a weight loss of 50lbs or more is not unusual. So, between meets they are smooth. There are exceptions to every rule.
    I think you are mistaking fitness training and bodybuilding as being the same. They are not. Fitness training is where they individual is working out to have good muscle tone and definition.i.e. they want to look good in clothes and have a six pack at the pool/beach. Most serious bodybuilders look awkward in clothes are rarely find them to even fit!

8. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    5'10, 160 lbs. bench ~315 for a rep or two, havent done it in a while honestly. Dumbells (flat) 95 lbs for a set of 10, curl 125 seated (preachers curl) 10 times.

9. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When I say "body building" I mean those who pose on a stage. And in no way do I mean power lifters use only size to move weight.

I've never heard the term "fitness training," strength training is the correct term for the sport Im talking about (IFSA, Met-Rx). Both strength training and body building use heavy weight. Although the way they train with it and use what they build are extremely different.

_J

10. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    if you're talking about the small curly bar, it is 25lbs. the big straight bar used on bench press is 45lbs.

11. one

one Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    Bench press - 350lbs
    Squats - 600lbs
    deadlift - 515 lbs
    military press - 275lbs

12. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    That's a very good military press. Was that seated with a barbell?

13. one

one Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    It was actually standing, like the jerk part of a clean and jerk. I guess it isn't technically a military press, but my YMCA does not have a proper seated one.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Technically not, but still impressive.

You can do standing military press. Try that with 275. lol. Probably a little tougher to get 7 reps in.;)

15. one

one Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    well the 275 of course is a max. For 8 reps I can do about 225, but I stopped doing them for a while because I was starting to develop poor form. I am doing seated dumbbell military presses right now, for which I can do 100s 3-4 times.

16. iLikeTelevision

iLikeTelevision Karting

Apr 12, 2008
    Antartica
    Full Name:
    John
    It's been over a year since I have done any weight lifting. I used to be able to do 165 15 times 195 8 times and 225 4 times, while my body weight was 170. I've never worked above 230lb press.

I never used to do bench press but decided to see what I could do after getting used to the form for about a week or two and I arrived at those numbers. The thing is I never wanted to ruin a workout day by just doing a "max" rep.

Question: After getting used to the form of pressing, what is a good warm up to build up to max press? How do you go about finding your max?

17. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Iliketelevision, I don't recommend doing a max bench. Your shoulders are priceless and it's the sort of movement that can create permanent shoulder injury. Now, I do have a journal and I do plan on going for a 315 max in the next 10 weeks. But, I am really working on my joint strength, and I plan on doing proper warm up etc before it.

Now here is a chart (I've posted before) that is almost EXACT to what your 1 Max lift is. Just plug in the numbers and you should come +-10lb of what your max is.

According to the chart (using your posted numbers) it should be between 242 and 252. I'm going to guess the higher one. So I think your max will be around 250.

18. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    You will not ruin a work out by doing one rep max, if you feel to exhausted your lacking stamina.
    You can still work out a different muscle group work around it.

Warm up.
    1. Jog
    2. Stretch your whole body
    3. two sets on the bench light-moderate weights 10 reps to pump blood in the muscles

19. BIG_DJE

BIG_DJE Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2004
    Newport Coast
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can do the 170lb dumbells for 8 reps on a incline bench. I have a bad shoulder so I cant really go heavy any more on barbell bench. I go up to about 315 and stop. Otherwise shoulder pain for a week after that. But If I stay incline dumbell go as heavy as I can and be ok.

But to tell you the truth it does not matter how much you can lift but only what you look like you can lift. Think about it. Would you rather have the body or lift like superman but still look like hell.

Plus injury is waiting for you when you go heavy all the time.