Lifted Subaru Baja | FerrariChat

Lifted Subaru Baja

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #1 Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have been a Subaru nut for as long as I can remember, and in addition to owning exotics I have also owned quite a few Subarus and have always really liked their trucks and performance cars like the XT and STi. Needing a truck for light hauling such as pinball and arcade games, and general winter weather commuting I finally got around to picking up a Baja. Being based on the Outback wagon it has a mixture of truck and wagon features with a mixture of the advantages and drawbacks of each. But with Subarus being very adaptable and allot like lego blocks when it comes to parts interchange between models and even generations you can push the vehicle closer to either role you wish. Some lower the truck, drop in a warmed up STi engine at 4~500Hp and push toward the car angle. I went the other way toward making it more of a truck by improving the hauling and off road capabilities. With a 4 inch lift and some other supporting mods what I ended with was the same tire size as the Wrangler Rubicon, 4 more inches of ground clearance due to the 4 wheel independent suspension, and of course trade-offs such as not having as good approach and departure angles. So depending on what your agenda is, loving or hating off roading Subarus, you can "prove" it to be superior or inferior to a benchmark off roader like the Wrangler. But what it is for sure is different.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012
  3. tonyhemet

tonyhemet Karting

Jul 21, 2012
    hemet,ca,usa
    Full Name:
    anthony gonzalez
    First let me say you have a nice looking Subaru.
    Other than that, its a nice looking Subaru.
    I always wondered what did the designers and marketing people at Fuji heavy industries have in mind for this models intended purpose ?
    In practical terms, its not much good for hauling a load of plywood, 2x4x8's, structural blocks, sheetrock or most construction supplies.
    If there is a fiberglass shell available it would be hard to use it as an overnight camper for hunting or fishing unless you were under 4ft tall.
    You can't fit a Honda foreman in the back and close the rear gate.
    It is more akin to a ridgeline , in its intent and purpose, which like the Baja is not clearly defined either.
    It is almost like a truck looking vehicle for people who want a truck looking vehicle but who don't really need a real truck or a real truck looking truck but want the comfort of a car in a truck looking vehicle.
    Therein lies the real issue, can Subaru build a real truck with a flat four, sure, why not, why don't they ?
    They seem content to building niche vehicles,like Suzuki or Mitsubishi, which have their hands in everything from electric wheelchairs to ocean going propulsion units.

4. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Subaru has always been a difficult identity, within their own walls more than anyplace else. They develop a line of niche cars that are doing fine then about every ten years they decide that they want to be Toyota or Honda and kill off the niche stuff and try to go mainstream and then eventually fail and rebuild. They also seldom listen to what the fan base wants. With the Impreza it was;

Give us the STi and WRX
    -They gave us the Rs with 1/2 the HP
    Give us the STi and WRX
    -Ok, they will make a few WRX but they aren't sure it will sell, they sell like crazy
    Give us the STi
    -Ok, they will only make a few; they sell all that they can make
    Give us 400hp instead of 300hp in the STi, we love the design
    -Subaru changes the design

In the 80's they made the BRAT and the XT which were unique and fun, they killed them and made only station wagons for a few years.

As to the Baja's usefulness, it does what I need. I don't haul quadrunners, a winter's firewood, or pull a horse trailer. What I do is need to haul a single pinball or arcade game which fits nicely, maybe an airplane engine, some tubing or spruce that might be 5~8ft and the passthrough or tailgate drop does that fine. It has a hitch and I can tow a few thousand pounds in a trailer if need be, which I do once a year at arcade auction. And in the winter or playing off road it absolutely brings a smile to your face.

5. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Sweet!! Takes me back to those crazy days of FINDING off-road trouble in my buddy's BRAT.

6. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012
    Back in the 80's I had an 86 Brat, nobody was modifying them. By 2000 a few guys had done 4 and 6 inch lifts with one guy doing 8 inches and adding a transfer case. I went all in and did 12 inches and dual transfer cases, retained the Brat 4 wheel independent suspension too, powered by a supercharged Subaru 6cyl in place of the 4cyl. It was a wheel standing monster. I wish I had the time to do an all in project like that with the Baja but I needed it for winter and needed to keep it practical for my uses.

Here are a few snaps of the 82 Brat I built, you can see how much bigger it is next to one with a 6 inch lift.

roadsterdoc likes this.
  7. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 Subarubrat, Nov 2, 2012
    And that is allot of lift and tire because this is what they were like stock, and even stock they were like a Willys jeep in that they looked unassuming but could go just about anywhere

roadsterdoc likes this.
  8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Pretty cool. I like having things different. And I'm sure your subaru will go off road than 90% of the 4wd vehicles in the US.
    How's the axles hold up in the brats? I had a 93 ranger with 36" tires, and even with upgraded axles and still managed to break them.
    Cool cars though. Who builds the lifts? Or do you have to go full custom?

9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    looking good! :)

i wonder how much the tall tires kill the engine power? some subi diffs can be had in 4:11 ratio, but even still, then a well built 2.5 turbo, or even a 6 cylinder engine (they can take some turbo boost too :) ) would help get back some power

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada

very cool ...i missed at first the SC 6 cylinder engine, that's interesting :)

i think with the 2.5L n/a engines (SOHC) the guys are installing STi cranks, and 2.5 turbo piston/rods, then turbo ....they say are good for about 400 hp :)

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I really thought I would buy one a couple years back, read up on the forums and somehow the passion faded, but I really like them and think you did a great job with the lift, color and I completely agree, they're a neat ride. Congrats.

12. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "How's the axles hold up in the brats? I had a 93 ranger with 36" tires, and even with upgraded axles and still managed to break them.
    Cool cars though. Who builds the lifts? Or do you have to go full custom? "

The BRAT was full custom that I did, had never been done before and to my knowledge nobody has replicated the effort. The Baja was a kit fabricated on a per order basis by SJR lifts, sort of a cottage industry thing. The axles hold up pretty well on both, they wear faster at the increased angle but nothing crazy. The Baja axles I expect to get maybe 50~75k miles on, time will tell. The BRAT axles were astonishing given that they were turning 33's in place of 185 70 R13s and having 400Hp shoved through them instead of 85Hp, I broke a few of the stubs that connect them to the diffs. That is Subaru for you, tough as nails.

"very cool ...i missed at first the SC 6 cylinder engine, that's interesting

i think with the 2.5L n/a engines (SOHC) the guys are installing STi cranks, and 2.5 turbo piston/rods, then turbo ....they say are good for about 400 hp "

Subarus are like lego blocks, many combos. However a stock STi engine is good for 4~500HP from its stock 305 with no internal mods. There are tons of combos of blocks, heads and cranks and a 5~800Hp build is pretty common. I am pleasantly surprised by how well the truck has responded to the tires, power is down a tad but not much, about equal now to a stock Jeep or Toyota pickup. The SC 6 is going to be pure fun.

13. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Without performing an internet search I'll just ask about the 6 cylinder, is it the SVX based engine or some form of a JDM engine that came SC'd from the factory? Also were there any fitment issues or was it a direct bolt-in?

Man I would have to have two Brats w/that engine combo or just not lift it so high so I could switch to a set of road legal drag radials and blow some peoples minds at the track and occasionally on the street.

14. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The six I am swapping into the Baja is used in the Legacy wagon and the Tribeca, it is a 3.3l that is only one inch longer than the standard 4cyl and is a stupid easy bolt in.

The one I put in the BRAT was the ER27 from the XT6 that I did to be as over the top as possible. Fitment was a nightmare, it is so long that it came within an inch of the front bumper and I had a top mounted radiator with a hummer style grill on the hood. Then I SC'd it just to take it one step further. It was the most illogical way to put that kind of power in the truck and was done just for the wow factor. Funny enough, 16 inch wide swampers with their soft compounds make amazing drag tires up to about 80 when the shaking becomes too much. I could really skunk people off the line though with that truck. If you wanted to be practical just bolt in an STi engine and tranny and be done with it in a weekend. There is a fellow in Australia who did that about ten years ago, did the whole STi suspension and driveline too. The problem with BRATs, even the ones in the desert, is that they are all turning to dust. Mine was rust free in 2000 but by 2009 it was rusting from the inside out, literally the unibody where layers of metal were joined would just come apart from the inside with rust. The 80's Subarus are all rust buckets which is why you never see them on the road, and almost all of them I saw in the junkyards had a good drivetrain and suspension.

This guy did what your thinking of.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMDCVKVjUc[/ame]