Life in Colorado... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Life in Colorado...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Futureman, Feb 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    As much as I hate to admit it, I have owned two Subarus and I have to say they both were great cars for the Colorado winter/ski trips. The only thing that pulled me away from them is I got into boating and a Subaru doesn't have the towing capacity.

2. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Same is true for the old Audi Allroad. I read a stat that half of all NORTH AMERICAN Allroad sales were in Colorado, most of those being Denver metro. Will the same be true of the new one?

For the scoobs, not much beats a manual tranny AWD around here.

At least, for the most part, those with boxes on the top aren't really "posing". Those that bother me more are Escalade drivers in Highlands Ranch.

3. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    A Subaru is the car of choice for the masses who live west of Denver.

An Audi is the car of choice for the classes who live west of Denver.

-F

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    And, yet, Audi continues to refuse to bring the C7 RS6 Avant to the US. I guess I will have to limp my C5 along for a while longer.

CW

5. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I guess they aren't as invincible as thought. One went into the creek last night in the canyon. So I get stuck behind them going 20 in a 40 when the roads are perfectly fine. Then I get stuck sitting parked on the road for an hour while multiple tow trucks try to drag one 20 feet up the side of the river bank.

An interesting thing I've noticed since moving here, and I don't know if it's just a Boulder thing or statewide, but people here don't drive any better in winter weather than people in Alabama. Maybe it's the false confidence of all the AWD/4-wheel drive vehicles.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    An old coworker who grew up in Minnesota told me that at the first big freeze every year it was all the 4x4's that crashed first. Seems they forgot over the off season that a 4x4 can accellerate twice as fast as a 2x but doesn't stop or corner any better.

People in the mountains of California say the best thing about chain restrictions is it keeps the flatlanders from driving too fast.

7. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I've learned that 4x4 gives you the confidence and ability to get stuck even worse than 2x. :D

8. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    As Futureman points out, lots of Coloradoans don't drive any better than Alabamans or anyone who came from snowless country. Back in the day before all the tech jobs came to Colorado (pre-85 or so) from mostly California, people hauled ass in the snow and did just fine. Then it slowly changed. Everyone got freaked out at even a hint of snow and now we have an entire population who has not a clue how to drive in it. And the ironic thing is that there must be a much larger percentage of FWD or AWD vehicles with ABS now than 20 or 25 years ago. We are truly dinosaurs! I'll still take old my '77 Landcruiser with Blizzaks up against ANYTHING!

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It's the same in CO. After pretty much any snow storm, it is always large 4X4s I see in the ditches mostly. Growing up in New England in the 60s, most cars were one wheel drive. We learned to get the most out of them and as teenagers actually practiced sliding around for fun. Little did we know we were learning important skills at the same time. Commercials that show 4X4s blasting through deep snow at break neck speeds don't do the consumer any favors either.

Dave

10. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    My dad had an '81 Landcruiser, 3-speed manual, in Alaska in the 80's. The places he dared to go in that thing always scared the hell out of me (even more so than the places he took me in his 1948 Taylorcraft fabric taildragger). We always seemed to make it, no matter how steep the terrain or how deep the water. That thing was a "Landbruiser".

11. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I still do that when I know I'm not going to hit anything if I lose it. I wanna know what my truck will do under certain conditions. When my kids are old enough to drive, I'm sending them to a performance driving school. I want them to know what anti-lock and traction control will and won't do for you. Driver's ED teaches you very little with respect to how to handle a car in extreme conditions.

12. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    FJ-40 or 55?

I think it's 3 things.

1. False confidence cars.
    2. Deterioration in skill nationwide.
    3. Transplants from warm climates. I work with 3 Calilanders....none lf them know what they're doing in snow or rain, FTM.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #38 Rifledriver, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

We give out drivers licenses with coupons at the grocery store.

Snow? Brrrr. Not for me. It's close to 70 degrees here now and that is really too cold as far as I'm concerned. Going to be a great weekend for a motorcycle ride.

14. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    If they'd push the "don't cruise in the left lane unless you want a ticket" 365 24/7 it would make things better. See too many scared idiots blocking traffic in rain/snow thus people have to merge more than need be.

I usually kick it sideways for a 1/2 block or so just for fun every time it snows so I don't forget...mainly for kicks, but "practice" sounds better.

15. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Putting the Ferrari to bed for five months out of the year is like getting a new car every Spring. It's great.

Actually it sucks. :(

-F

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Cool car. What are they going for these days?

17. vettesrule76

vettesrule76 Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2011
    Full Name:
    Brad
    new '12/'13 sti's are about $35-$43k that i've seen online and at mike shaw subaru. for a 2004/2005 sti they still run for about $15-$25k on craigslist and such.

18. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Not those. You specifically mentioned that you wanted a '98 to '01 2.5 RS. That's what I was asking about. I almost bought one back in the day but the seats couldn't fold down to put a bike inside.

19. vettesrule76

Jun 12, 2011
    Full Name:
    Brad
    oh!! older 2.5rs's are anywhere from 3k to 7k. Sometimes you find some that have a sti swap in them and those run over 10k. those are called RSTi's

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Those must be awesome.

21. vettesrule76

Jun 12, 2011
    Full Name:
    Brad
    ya light weight, 300-400 hp, awd. that would be fun! i still need practice with manual. i have had little practice...

22. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I have an '09 Impreza WRX. Acceleration is good, pretty fast, not a lot of torque. Apparently it can match a Testarossa 0-60.

With AWD and being a five door (hatch back) handling is kind of weird, I can't trust it. Understeer with a feeling that oversteer will come at any time. It is fun to accelerate on the freeway when the feeling arises. Not a particularly pretty car, actually kind of ugly IMO.

Fantastic in the snow.

-F

23. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    If you're up for the maintenance, an A6 2.7T S line with quattro and a manual is a far better, and better looking, car. ;)

24. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I think my next dd will be an Audi or a performance VW. The Subaru just isn't cool enough. :)

-F

25. vettesrule76

Jun 12, 2011
    Full Name:
    Brad
    anyone up for an ariel atom? i would love to have one of those. at the rate i'm going, i'll never be able to afford one. what gives you guys motivation? with school and hard work, it's not easy to find any motivation!