Lexus Structural Blue, the car you can't repair? | FerrariChat

Lexus Structural Blue, the car you can't repair?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Protouring442, Jan 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    While the paint is absolutely stunning, if it takes the factory that long to paint the car, how is it to be repaired?

"For its part, the Structural Blue paint finish features a special kind of pigment that has no less than 40 separate layers, including a 15-micrometer layer between the primer and clear coats... ...The process involved in actually creating the color is just as daunting. Lexus says that all in all, it takes eight months to simply create the paint, and in that span, it includes 12 production steps and more than 20 quality inspections, with 300 billion nano-structure pigment flakes applied to every special LC. Once the paint is created, Lexus still can’t expedite the production process because of the sophistication of it all. In fact, in a given day, the Japanese automaker can only create two models of the LC Structural Blue Edition."

Great... now imagine a door ding or a scratch! Do you send the car back to the factory to get it repaired?

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/lexus-lc-structural-blue-edition-ar177882.html

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt AutoZone will be stocking touch-up paint for rock chips, but it does have a paint code- 8YO. As you pointed out, a minor fender bender might "total" the car given the unique paint process. Wonder what the cost of the paint job is? $5,000, $15,000?

Color is gorgeous, but it looks like a team working on another project selected the interior colors (emphasis on the plural- 3 in all).

3. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Three and four stage paints are exceedingly difficult to match properly. Forty-stage? :eek:

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It doesn't even look special. Looks pretty basic, actually.

rdefabri likes this.
  5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    They say it reflects 100% of the light that hits it (whereas most paints can reflect no more than 50%). I'd love to see one in person, as the color really does look spectacular--just not repairable!

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    That doesn't make sense to me. How is it 100% if it's not a mirror? The color that we see is the wavelength of that color reflected back off that object. So the blue car would reflect back only blue wavelengths of light when sun (white light) hits it. The rest of the visible light spectrum is absorbed (violet, red, green, etc). It can't be 100%...what am I missing?

rdefabri and iloveferrari like this.
  7. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Beats me, I'm just quoting the article...

For its part, the Structural Blue paint finish features a special kind of pigment that has no less than 40 separate layers, including a 15-micrometer layer between the primer and clear coats. The exact specifications are incredible, as are the components that help make it unique in the eyes of everyone. Consider this: the Structural Blue paint also has nanostructures in the paint that help generate iridescence, a unique characteristic that creates the impression of the blue paint finish changing shades depending on the amount of light it’s subjected to. All told, the Structural Blue paint finish is capable of reflecting 100 percent of the light that comes in contact with it, a staggering number, given the fact that most conventional pigment paints can only reflect less than 50 percent of incoming light.

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know where the 50% and 100% reflection claims came from, but I stumbled across a technical article last week when I first learned of this "color." Apparently, there is no blue pigment in the "color." It is really a clear nano-structure that bends and filters light. My simplistic understanding of the technology behind structural color is somewhat like a wrap that happens to get produced with a paint gun.

Here is a video in the technical article that explains the science in mostly layman's terms, but I still don't fully understand it. I will comment that the video, which gives motion to a Morpho Butterfly specimen in a case, is the best illustration of what the color will look like in real life. Stagnant press photos of a parked car do not do it justice. The car must be seen in motion to be fully appreciated:

Here is a link to the technical article: https://asknature.org/strategy/wing-scales-cause-light-to-diffract-and-interfere/#.WlFtiiMrK1c

anunakki and Protouring442 like this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah their statement makes no sense. They must use a scale specific for paint finishes to try to rate how much shine it has. Nothing other than the color white can reflect white light near 100%. Maybe they shined blue light on blue paint and got nearly 100% back and call it 100%?

Anyway, I think this material would be interesting in person. It absorbs nearly all light...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/style/2017/03/30/watch-all-light-disappear-into-this-material-orig-tc.cnn

10. Dan stevens

Dan stevens Rookie

Oct 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan stevens
    Yes it can be repaired , other than the special pigment which is costly, it sprays no different than a regular basecoat clear coat. Ppg has a factory pack color available for it. I am a painter by trade. I hope to see on and paint one. There is not multi layering involved. Not a three stage or even a quad stage, just a regular old style base clear with a spendy formula that comes in a factory pack from Ppg .

anunakki likes this.
  11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Good marketing. Meh looking.