Lexus has lost its luster? | FerrariChat

Lexus has lost its luster?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by energy88, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Latest J D Power survey. Of course the survey may evaluate items not of importance to particular individuals. IMHO, I put more stock in Consumer Reports.

The only problem with Genesis is that dealers only exist in large metro areas.

I recently passed on a 2020 Lexus ES F-Sport because Lexus is not standing behind crappy stereos (just do an internet search) in this car after knowing about the problem for nearly 2 years. May just be me, but if I pay a premium price, I expect quality hardware and service.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-us-vehicle-dependability-study
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I looked at the Genesis during the Chicago auto show and was really impressed. I dont know how they drive but they certainly seemed to be a nice place to be in for a boring commute.

I put more stock in driving than that however so im curious and might go test drive one.

3. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    There's a thread somewhere on here where an FChatter bought a Genesis about 3 months ago and had nothing but positive things to say about it. Maybe he will weigh in?

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Do not let the radio keep you from buying the car. Especially if you plan on keeping a car for a long time.

The rest of the new cars out there have WAY WAY WAY WAY bigger and far more expensive problems.

Plus you are looking at what I believe is an old issue.

Buy it. You won't regret it.

Plus the amount of people that have the issue is fairly small.

5. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    The base stereo is both an old and a current issue because Lexus has refused to do anything about it. The workaround is to pay $2,900 more for the upgraded ML system. This is a design problem that Lexus engineers (or management) have foisted on the public a listening arrangement that most don't appreciate and perceive as being defective and not suitable for intended use.

Owners are livid when they get home and find that their new car stereo is a POS that performs like a 1956 transistor radio and worse than what they traded in. Edmunds and most of the the other car sites are full of negative comments about this single issue.

There was at least one class action law suit pending when I backed out and Lexus had not corrected the problem for 2020 nor responded to current owners about addressing the problem or when they expected to have a solution. I could have gotten an Avalon (pretty much the same car as the ES 350) but preferred the ES styling. In my case, I decided to wait and go a different route and get a 2021 C8 when GM has hopefully worked out the first year problems.

Here is a 34 page thread on one of the two Lexus forums which Lexus should be embarrassed about:

https://lexusenthusiast.com/forums/threads/issues-with-2019-lexus-es-350-stock-audio-system.4819/