Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Choosing that pairing was Ferrari's own doing, and their decline started there, IMO.

DF1 likes this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    LOL

Yes the inherent problem at Ferrari was drivers.

You're not even trying anymore, are you?

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The team was already said to be in decline while Alonso was at the team. Alonso got better results than the car really deserved.

I think Kimi was hired as a development driver. It has been reported that his feedback to engineers is very simple, direct, and effective. I don't get the sense that Vettel has the same nuance for car setup... back when his rear anti-roll bar broke in qualifying a few years ago, he radioed the team to tell them he thought his front anti-roll bar had broken.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Salient point. Vettel is simply not that “great”

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Quite frankly why is this post even opened ? It’s talking about anything but the subject...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Well thank you for that clarification.

I had clealry failed to see how a commission that had some of the most notible Engineers and Acedemics in the UK including those listed below had anything to do with Politics; clealry I had misunderstood.

- Dr Hayaatun Sillem CBE, Chief Executive of the Royal Academy of Engineering which has Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh as Fellow (and Royals DONT DO politics)
    - GLEN LAMBERT, Head of School of Construction, Science and Engineering at College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
    - PROFESSOR DAVID MBA, Pro-Vice Chancellor Research and Enterprise, and Dean of the Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Media at De Montfort University
    - PROFESSOR ALICE GAST FREng, President of Imperial College London
    - MARTIN WHITMARSH, Former CEO of the McLaren Formula One Team, Member of the Global Advisory Board of Formula E, Chair of the Offshore Wind Growth Partnership Limited and Chairman of BAR Technologies Limited

7. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Of course the Royals do politics. They just don't do partisan domestic politics to favor one party over another.

The commission you cited is tackling sociopolitical issues and does not have a bearing on the 2020 F1 season, so, while it is undoubtedly a very worthwhile endeavor and surely an interesting discussion, it should be debated in the P&R forum and not the F1 forum.

Let's move on.

All the best,
    Andrew.

8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This is getting a tad tiresome ..im off for a while cya all

9. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    One for the peeps who (at the time) said Alonso rates Hamilton - this is pretty interesting - just goes to show that the "greats" that we quote contradict themselves too.
    Best,
    Sammy

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando-alonso-michael-schumacher-lewis-hamilton/

‘Schumacher beat all team-mates, unlike Hamilton’

Date published: October 2 2020

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fernando Alonso thinks Michael Schumacher pips Lewis Hamilton as F1’s hardest driver to beat because he conquered all team-mates.

Alonso knows exactly what Schumacher is capable of having ended his run of five consecutive Drivers’ Championships by winning the 2005 and 2006 titles with Renault, the only World Championships that the Spaniard has won in his F1 career.

And for 2007 Alonso would make the move to McLaren where his team-mate was rookie Hamilton as the pair formed a brand new partnership for the team that year.

It would last for 2007 only though with Alonso then making his return to Renault.

Skip forward to 2020 and Hamilton is rapidly closing in on matching Schumacher’s record of seven World Championships, and so that brings the obvious question of who is the harder driver to beat out of the two?

Well, it’s a tough question but Alonso went with former rival Schumacher because he said the German conquered all team-mates.

Meanwhile Hamilton, who has won five of his six titles with Mercedes, had the only blemish on that run inflicted by Nico Rosberg who beat Hamilton to the title in 2016 during their time as team-mates.

Rosberg would retire just days after winning the 2016 World Championship.

And that is why Alonso gives the edge to Schumacher.

Asked by Sport Bild which driver was harder to beat, Alonso said: “Difficult. These are different eras and cars with different performance.

“But I remember Michael as a driver who is hard to beat, one with the greatest talent. He had that extra something.

“Lewis is very good and the best of his generation. But he did not win the World Championship with McLaren when he was Jenson Button’s team-mate.

“Nico Rosberg also won the World Championship at Mercedes. Michael never had such things. He always won. For me, Michael has the edge.”

With ten rounds gone in the 17-race 2020 season Hamilton holds a 44-point lead over team-mate Valtteri Bottas at the top of the Drivers’ Championship.

stavura, JJ, Remy Zero and 1 other person like this.
  10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

jgonzalesm6, stavura, JJ and 5 others like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have to agree with JYS. As he points out, in the 1950s and 1960's there were typically fewer than 10 GPs per season, not 20+. The reliability of the cars was always an issue in that era. Today it is rare for Mercedes to have a mechanical DNF; in prior decades it was par for the course especially with teams like Lotus. Finally F1 until the mid to late 1970s was a lethal sport, drivers were killed every season and careers were shorter. JYS competed in 99 GPs over the course of his career. Kimi will have competed in F1 over a 20 year period.
    Fewer races, more DNFs, shorter careers.

jgonzalesm6, JJ, sammysaber and 4 others like this.
  12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You have to respect Alonso's opinion, every driver has in their mind the better driver. Alonso has already said Hamilton was in his top 5 greatest of all time. He hasn't retracted that statement. Then you have 3 of Schumachers TEAM MATES Barrichello, Irvine and Rosberg saying Hamilton's talent or racing skills likely surpasses Schumachers. You have to ask yourself does Alonso know Schumacher better than all three of his team mates. At the end of the day every driver has their say, nothing wrong with that

13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Patrick Dixon and william like this.
  14. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For sure, however I cannot remember any of Lewis's team mates slowing up as they are about to cross the line with metres to go, unlike Rubens and consequently turning the 2002 Austrian Grand Prix into a farce.

william and ktu like this.
  15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Because we ALL KNOW that the title of the thread is correct from the outset. ;)

stavura likes this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I find strange if that tifosi have over time started several threads to denigrate Hamilton, and then complained that he is mentioned too often on a Ferrari forum !!

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly!
    You could argue that Alonso knows best because he faced the real Michael and arguably he, himself , is a much better driver than rosberg, Irvine, barrichello...but like u said it’s all perspective and personal!

18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yes many would agree that Hamilton's team mates (Alonso) were better than Schumacher's team mates

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Exactly!
    To me Hamilton is great/good but sadly is driving in a weak era imo. Of course u will give me ur stats and I will give u mine...fact is it’s time for another team to be able to challenge mercedes...next thing u know bottas will be world champion at this rate and he sucks!

20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

How about Rosberg being ordered by Toto not to pass Hamilton despite being faster ?

Bas likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Alonso and Hakkinen were close to MSC in raw speed.

FIA wanted to stop the 4 year MSC dominance and suddenly changed tyre regs to suit Michelin and Alonso.

Interestingly the FIA has done nothing to halt the monotony of Mercedes dominance in 7 years.

Follow the money.....

Picchu88, stavura, Bas and 2 others like this.
  22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1

Bas likes this.
  23. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    JJ, classic308 and jpalmito like this.
  24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #874 ktu, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Moss said Hamilton is among the greats and "up there with Clark"
    Says "He is that good," "The cars are that reliable these days, therefore one can judge a man by his talent - his enormous talent. He's exciting to watch."
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/29878139

25. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have no doubt he did said it to stop them taking each other out, that is the point they were battling each other.