Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Honestly Rosberg was a midfield driver.
    Ok he improved a lot with Michael advices but never in the same league of Alonso or Verstappen.
    Button was another story for hamilton in Mclaren.

stavura, Bas and SimCity3 like this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I do not believe you know what the word "exponentially" means.
    I believe you mean it to mean "way more", and it sort of does, but it means "way more in a mathematically derived way".
    So, if you do know what it actually means, what is the mathematical way that cause the engineer to be exponentially more intelligent than Hamilton?

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    There wasn't much between elton and Nico, that's why i know elton is far from being special...

stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  4. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I’m not looking to get even more off topic than we already are, but if you really want, I can explain the roles of nature and nurture in a PM.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We'll just disagree. if you meet any of these guys and have any conversation ... you will see that they all have a high level of intellect. my two personal heroes Jackie Stewart and Niki Lauda, were both highly intelligent on track and off. both made more money off track than on... and it was not because of their physical prowess.

I did not mean to imply you said anything about a degree, however to become a leading or any engineer in F-1 means you have a valid degree in engineering - most likely Aeronautics and have had years of study. gone are the days of the self trained engineer turning the world on its head....

I have no idea if you have ever competed in a race, or even come close to driving a racing car anywhere approaching the performance of an F-1 car of any era... however if you had you would not make the statement you have. the newer the car - the more brains you need to drive it.... not just muscle.

ktu and Terra like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Alonso cant take not being the clear number one guy. And even when he is - ala Ferrari & 2nd time with McLaren he's shown that he cant lead the team....

william likes this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    That is not really the point... Hamilton made the decision to go to MB when they were nowhere. He's part of the team .. .he built it .. .and he's reaped the rewards. I don't think he's the best ever... but clearly he's in the top 5 you just cant hide the success. Fangio moved from team to team... but he was always there when they were winning.... not every driver has that knack. Even Lauda Left Ferrari when he should not have ... he's even admitted it. He'd be a 4 or 5 time WDC ...

william and ktu like this.
  8. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sorry to disagree but hamilton built nothing in Mercedes.
    Ross Brawn, Schumi Paddy Lowe and Toto did it.
    Three years of hard work.
    In 2013 the Mercedes was already the fastest car on one lap but a tire eater.
    On top of that brawn and Lauda told Hamilton the huge financial investment Daimler decided to do with the hybrid era.
    Nowadays this team is so efficient , so professional that the drivers are like small childrens without any kind of autonomy.
    theirs team radio are pretty funny :"Bono tell me what to do ! how are the tires ? etc .."
    Alonso would have done more or less the same in this team i am sure.

PS : you underestimate heavily Alonso.
    His drive in 2012 with the ugly F2012 was one of the best ever.

stavura, Jakuzzi, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Stating that Hamilton is an idiot, is an insult to all idiots on the globe.

DGPF, stavura, Schultz and 5 others like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Your history shows you don't like to answer easy questions, but i'll give it another try
    Who has done more for Mercedes success? Schumacher or Hamilton?

Terra likes this.
  11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    René Arnoux and Nigel Mansell would disagree

12. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #112 Giallo 550, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Correlation does not equal causation. You can’t point to two particular drivers and say, “Hey, they’re really intelligent, so you must need to be really intelligent to drive an F1 car.” The average IQ of the grid is probably somewhere between 90 and 110, which is well within the normal range.

The fact of the matter is that if intelligence mattered, all of the drivers would be incorporating logic, understanding, self-awareness, learning, emotional knowledge, reasoning, planning, creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving in their training, but they don’t. Why might that be? It’s because they are ATHLETES, and not SCHOLARS like the engineers who make 1/40 of Hamilton’s salary. It’s a salary that’s earned because he’s a great driver, not because he’s an authority on anything other than driving a race car at high speed, which doesn’t require much, if any, of the above criteria for intelligence I stated above. And no, knowing which button to push on the wheel is not higher level thinking.

bmwracer likes this.
  13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Read carefully the same post and my answer is in it (subtle i recognize)

14. RMSK

RMSK Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Louisville
    Full Name:
    RMSK
    If I had his income I'd have many more Ferrari's myself

15. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You saying Schumacher did more for Mercedes success than Hamilton?

DGPF likes this.
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Vettel won 4 championships in a row which is a huge achievement.
    question : How many would rate him as a top 10 all great?
    none.
    everything must be contextualized.
    The same for Hammy.

DGPF, stavura, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    the submerged part of the iceberg

18. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    The thought is so bizarre, you can't even answer the question

DGPF likes this.
  19. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I think most people on the planet would be happy to be called idiots if it meant having to cope with $250m (and counting) in their bank accounts.

william likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

There is a large belief that Schumacher helped tremendously by setting up the car for years to come.
    Now I’m not saying I adhered to it but I have heard that one before;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I see you are having some trouble with the metaphors so i will be a little more explicit.
    Ross Brawn and Schumi built the deep foundations of the Mercedes team according to the methods they had already succesfully experienced at Benetton and Ferrari.
    In 2013 Michael was too old and tired so they needed a top driver without too much bad temper.
    This is why they didn't hire Alonso.
    Lewis was one of the best and they chose him.
    Toto was already dominant in the team and managed year after year to build a war machine.
    Hamilton is not an idiot and he had the intelligence to blend in without creating waves.
    But he has absolutely nothing to do with the development of this fantastic team.
    Schumi a lot.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Are you so sure:: it seems Lewis is always asking about this-or-that about the other drivers, what tires they are on, what pace he should run,...He asks what he needs to do to win in mid race, he plots and attacks as the tires allow (Austria 2019). This seems a lot "like" critical thinking to me.

Why do you think otherwise?

If what Lewis has is so ordinary, then why are their not dozens or hundreds of drivers who can push a car to the edge of fast as Lewis can and still save the tires at the same time?

ktu likes this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

No doubt !

There happens to be plenty of Lottery winners who are not particularly sharp.
    Plenty of folk think Hamilton won the F1 lottery with Mercedes.

Just sayin'

jpalmito likes this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

LH was counseled by Lauda. Lauda must have known a future for the team. That would have been a nice conversation to hear what Lauda was thinking with respect to the future development of the team / engine/chassis. Enough good information for LH to take the risk. One can respect Lauda for bringing LH. Lauda saw something as a former driver of his skills.

DGPF and subirg like this.
  25. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Just to be clear, so you think Schumi contributed more to Mercedes success than Hamilton?

DGPF likes this.