Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    lieu (not lue).

Jakuzzi and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  2. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    The GOAT would never get beaten by his openly #2 teammate, who is consistently on an inferior strategy and never has better equipment. Never.

stavura, jpalmito and Bas like this.
  3. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Wrong thread. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

m5shiv likes this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Like Lance Armstrong palmares ?
    Again numbers aren't everything.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Watched the video. 8mins I’ll never get back, I made the sacrifice for the benefit of the Fchat community. Do I get a prize now?

DGPF and josephr25 like this.
  6. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Schumi about rookie Hamilton

DGPF, josephr25 and ktu like this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Perhaps, but even with that car parked outside, he would never have entered the family house dressed like that, believe me. My mother would never have allowed someone dressed with such poor taste inside, he would have stayed in front of the door.
    That picture illustrates him very well; frankly I could not care less for his activies, and life, out of the track, but sometimes that just makes me smile. Not that I give it much importance, mind you: if he is happy, fine by me. I'm pretty sure he must actually be a rather nice guy. Perhaps he is not "the fastest bunny in the forrest", but well...wasn't it Professeur Watkins who said something on the lines that "I'm a brain surgeon, which might be rather a paradox in a way, when working for Formula One drivers?"
    I certainly wouldn't say that Lewis is an idiot; childish, maybe. Trouble is that he has money and cannot stay quiet and put.
    When I watch a race, which is something that happens less and less, I still think Lewis is one of the greats, even if he is not as the same level for me than Fangio, for instance.

Rgds

jag-oo-r and jpalmito like this.
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Maybe one day he will realise himself that he was too passionate about some subjects and spoke out when he didn't need too.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I do believe that Hamilton is the F1 GOAT. But that doesn't excuse him from being an idiot for all that bullsheet he is doing and saying off track.

DGPF likes this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Jim Clark and Alonso , from the top of their two titles, say : WRONG

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    To us, old farts, maybe. But take anyone aged about 35 today, and speak to him about Jim Clark: 99,9999999% of chances he will answer you: "Jim who?".
    And in fifty years from now, when, as says William, people will look at the sport, they say "Hamilton 100 victories ('cause he will be at 100 soon), Clark 25: no comparison".
    (Perhaps they will ponderate by the number of races run, which will put Clark in a better perspective: 25 out of 73 is no mean fact, but I even doubt it)

Rgds

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    I'm sure Hamilton knew that taking a stand would come at a price among the great unwashed of society. He can handle it. It's the easily offended that are having a problem.

PS - If this is too much "P&R" please feel free to move it or delete it.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think its hard to judge Hamilton while he's still driving. I think the stats still show that Fangio is statistically the best out there... but No doubt that Hamilton has done well. He does have the best car... but that is a part that a lot of people miss ... he left McLaren on his own - everyone thought that's it he's done, and viola - he's now 5X WDC... the best have a knack for getting themselves in the best situation at the best time. Senna had that at McLaren - but left for Williams ... arguably the wrong move... and was talking with Ferrari ... He should have stayed at McLaren and been 5-6 x WDC...

so Hats off to Hamilton for making the right decisions. I think his personal life - while not my cup of tea, is his life. he does perform when on track and that is what he gets paid to do. as for BLM and all that... I don't always agree, but for him He's using his clout the way he wants to... again you have to admire his willingness to stick his neck out there... both private and professionally.

william and pilotoCS like this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Market value. A 250 GTO is a car just as much as a Honda civic... arguably the civic has A/c and modern radio etc, and is far easier to drive... why then is the GTO worth $60M? and Civic only $20K? an engineer cant win the race on his own no matter if he's einstine. you need a driver who will take the risk, and moreover put his balls on the line every day... that is where the market value goes way up. do all that and WIN... even higher.

DGPF, william and Terra like this.
  16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    You are right - its all a matter of perspective. People don't remember that in the 50's and 60's there were only 8-10 races a year max. on top of the horrific dangers... where as today with 20 + races its like you are having 2 1960's seasons every year... so the statistics will go up... however the its percentages of win vs. entries etc... you have to dive deep down to come up with a true comparison ... Fangio, Moss, Clark, Stewart, Lauda, Prost, Senna , Schumacher will always be close or at the top... Hamilton has earned his spot as well.... and he's continuing to earn it.

DGPF and william like this.
  17. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This has nothing to do with my original point that there’s no correlation between intelligence and money made as a professional athlete.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think there is. to say that Hamilton is stupid because he does not have the university degrees etc... is false. He is performing at the highest level in sports - where you have to be just as sharp as any top class engineer. perhaps the math and science is not the same, but the same level of concentration, commitment and skill is needed. the physical fitness requires the same effort and discipline as scientific study... more so since its your own body. you can be a genius but not applying it and be an utter failure. ... you can have luck as an athlete - I agree, but you cant be lucky 5 times ... and 4 of them in a row... and its not just luck that you accumulate the points, wins and pole positions. yes, the car is great... but he is also putting it to its maximum effort every time.... that takes intelligence and skill. those two are intertwined in my mind. Far too many people down grade drivers and the intellect and skill required to get there and STAY at the top. when you meet an F-1 driver ... any F-1 driver no matter the years they competed... you are meeting someone at the very top of the sport - with skill far in excess of the average person. Even the worst F-1 driver, is far better than an SCCA champion or local Auto cross guy, etc... they made it to the very top. Even Pay drivers...

Schultz, william, Terra and 4 others like this.
  19. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #94 Giallo 550, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Everything you said is true, except the part where you imply I said he’s stupid because he doesn’t have a degree. I never said that.

Regardless, what you wrote is still completely irrelevant to my original point that you don’t have to be intelligent to make 40 times more money than an F1 engineer as an athlete, as you suggested, because the attributes that you identify pertain to emotional and physical prowess, not intellectual.

20. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Mclaren in 2014-2015-2016-2017 wasn't a championship car.
    Really doubt Senna could have been champion with this team again.
    Again the current level of Hamilton is a mystery.
    To know it, one would have to compare it with a valid standard-meter ( Max in the same car).
    What we will never have unfortunately.

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    It's only a mystery for you for some reason. Alonso was'nt good enough? Riccardo beat Max. I would have like to see Alonso team with Schumacher 2005, what we will never have unfortunately.

22. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No, one season is not good enough because it’s anecdotal evidence.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Agree with you
    A schumi/Alonso duo would have been fantastic.
    Todt wanted to do that but Alonso management was the problem.
    Ricciardo beat max half year 2016 and half year 2017 ( max was 18-19 years old !)
    But with more experience mad Max was already a machine and Danny wisely decided to leave the ship.
    Alonso leaved Mclaren because Hamilton was a permanent danger AND he knew he had no chance in a British team.

24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    But it's the only evidence

25. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That’s true, but it’s still not enough to say anything with certainty, unlike the comparison between Hamilton and Rossberg.