Lets see all your Mercedes | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Lets see all your Mercedes

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ibesuc, Dec 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveB

DaveB Karting

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave B
    #101 DaveB, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    #102 TRScotty, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Hey guys,

What is a nice 1968 280SL worth these days?

I live out in the country of Eastern Texas and have seen a nice example for sale locally. The car is mechanically sound (owned by a former Merc mech) and is cosmetically very good. He claims that the car is a "California Model" and that it was produced only with a removable hard-top, no soft-top. The car has 58k original miles (by his claims and records) and has a clear title. It is cream white with black and tan interior. I don't know what the seat leather looks like, as they had those ghastly sheepskin covers, but the door panels and trim all seeed to be in good shape. I did not have a chance to really go over the car as it was raining today when I stopped to have a look. He said that I could come back anytime and put the car on a lift, etc., as well as test-drive to verify its condition. I will be able to post pics after that.

So what's the deal?

Should I consider this as a wise investment, or another toy to throw senseless amounts of cash at like my Ferrari?

I'll also post the asking price after I get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!

3. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Scotty,
    Poke around in www.sl113.org for awhile...there's some good info and you can learn a lot.
    If the car is as you describe it could well be 30k+ but a price is what a buyer and seller agree upon. Personally I prefer 4speed manuals and not having a soft top is not a deal breaker as long as you have a garage. But a ppi is a good idea even with the po being a MB mech. The 113's have a tendency for rust but this car sounds clean.
    Get it checked out and send pics.They are cool rides.
    cheers,
    RE

4. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Thanks, Ralph!!

I will check that out. I have found only two advertised online for sale, one on flebay and one on AutoTrader Classics. Ebay car was in sad shape with a BIN of $17k, the AutoTrader car was in near perfect condition and the ask was $65k!! I think this car is square in-between. Not a concours car by any means, but a very nice, driveable car that could be polished and detailed out very nicely. I think that is what I'd most look at it as, something to enjoy without getting creamed on depreciation.

I am really wondering if the low (for a non-running clunker) is ~$17k, or if a good one can be had for less than $20k. The high of $65k is quite a hopeful proposition, IMHO, given the state of things these days. Just trying to find out what's what.

Thanks again and keep the replies coming!!

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Mark,
    The 113sunroof/lvl/ski rack is vv rare[as you well know]...
    But PF's 3.5Cab is TrueGold...less of them than 300sl gw's[1,232 vs 1,371]...imho even at 175k these cars are grossly undervalued,suggest you hold.
    cheers,
    RE

ps,Scotty,
    Really,put a pic of the 280 up,like to see it[but I'd like to see a pic of a ''5''[non-running clunker] somebody wants 17 for too and a pic of the asker so I can run when I see'im...dass gott un himmell high,unless there's more to the story]
    RE

6. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

#106 REMIX, Feb 4, 2010
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    those are pretty cars.

my dad had a CLK convertible, and it was a bucket of bolts too.

8. Strictly Ferrari

Strictly Ferrari Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2004
    3045 Davis Blvd.
    Full Name:
    Naples Classic Car
    #108 Strictly Ferrari, Feb 4, 2010
  9. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    #109 bounty, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
    It's funny how much these cars vary in individual quality. I have a MY 2000 CLK320 and it is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It's needed NOTHING outside of regular maintenance...and it runs like new. But I've visited enough MB forums to know otherwise. Was yours the v-6 or v-8...I noticed a lot more problems with the bigger engine. As a side...I get fantastic gas mileage with the 6 too...31mpg on the highways.

Mine is in white and very beautiful if I may say so myself.

10. John Z. Goriup

Mar 4, 2009
    Walnut Creek, CA US
    Full Name:
    John Z. Goriup
    #111 John Z. Goriup, Feb 6, 2010
    One of the coolest Mercedes ever. It's the car that started it all between AMG and M-B, and really put AMG on the map. To hear it run is almost a religious experience.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    #112 GDRIII, Feb 7, 2010
  12. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Ringmaster,

Your 280 looks like a recent restoration. What was the condition of the car before the project started? Mine is 99% original and bought new with 69,000 miles. The car is presently in storage. I kept looking at the engine bay and then realized the difference between your 280 and mine. The injector lines, radiator reservoir, brake fluid reservoir and windshield washer bottle look different. I have no memory of each plastic component’s color when the car was new, but the radiator reservoir was originally black and the injector lines were much darker, but your car looks fantastic. Other then detuning the engine to run on modern gasoline, have you made any other changes?

13. ringmeister

ringmeister Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2005
    NJ
    The resto is 5 years old, I bought it ('71 280SL) restored. The previous owner wanted it mint so he basically replaced/replated everything. You're right, some of the parts like the reservoir have been changed and look different than their originals (I got all the original parts as well), seems Mercedes supplies updated items these days. Shortly after I purchased the car an investor in Asia made me an offer I couldn't refuse so I took it. If your car is 99% original don't touch it, they're only original once.

14. Savoy6

Savoy6 Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2007
    Lago Vista, Tx
    Full Name:
    John
    #115 Savoy6, Feb 10, 2010
    blew my 360 money i had saved up on my c63 last year. saving up again but after having this powertrain the clk63bs has crept into the picture as well. buy stock in exxon, dunlop and discount tire with these on the road. yeah amg's depreciate faster than a boat and brake rotors are 1k a wheel, 3 sets of tires a year but i figure thats just getting my head right for writing ferrari maintenance checks later. besides i havent had this much fun since i had my 93 rx7.

as much as I like the modern cars i would love to have one of these.
    http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/carpopup.asp?source=/upload/cars/11541/1772509/biga.jpg&list=abcdefghijklmn&base=/upload/cars/11541/1772509&dealerpage=no
    http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/find/carpopup.asp?source=/upload/cars/11067/1791483/bigg.jpg&list=abcdefghijklmnopq&base=/upload/cars/11067/1791483&dealerpage=no

15. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Some good pictures in here guys !
    Love all Benz

16. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Probably around 25k or so (hard to say without seeing it)

I have bought and sold a few of these cars, and been around many.....

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #119 agup48, Feb 11, 2010
  18. Kevin2772

Kevin2772 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2006
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    George, I just saw your SL500 at your office when i was out there on monday. Obviously enjoying the "nice weather" car before we got battered by snow! Love the Maserati too!

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the white/black CLK63 looks horrible. Mustang owner who won the lottery?

20. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Probably, he "CASHDIN" :D

I'd take it, but lose the wing, the stripes, and I'd rock it :D

21. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #123 Hoodude, Feb 13, 2010
    ---never lined them up before,for a pic---
    many 113 fans here,what a great sports car...
    and yes the 126 is a big autobahn baron bully...
    and the M-class is a good truck,I like the push start key...
    cheers,
    RE

22. RAGTOPSL

RAGTOPSL Rookie

Jan 21, 2006
    Seaford, NY
    Full Name:
    Burt
    #124 RAGTOPSL, Feb 21, 2010
  23. Mr.Chairman