Let's see all our 308 | FerrariChat

Let's see all our 308

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by patpong, Jul 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    #1 patpong, Jul 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alexia and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  2. scottjua

scottjua Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Sa Wat Di, very nice man!

3. johnb@macarbon

johnb@macarbon Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    John Borchelt
    Mine is an '83QV, 45K miles. With little San Francisco style weather thrown in.

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #4 tbakowsky, Jul 8, 2004
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The more I see 308QV's - especially Euro's - the more I like.

Tom - given your considerable experience in, on and around Ferraris, are there reasons to end all reasons you have a 308QV instead of another model?

Tom's of North America (TNA [Pronounced T and A])

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well Unfortunatly mine is not a QV. Mine is just a lowly 2 valve injected slow poke. The reason..well at the time I bought the car I could not afford a QV and the ones that were available in my price range were not good cars. But I did steal the car I have now price wise (basicly I'm driving the car for free, oinsidering what I paid,and have into the car I'll still make close to 15k on the car at fair market value).

As far as reasons for my choice, well I just love the 308/328 series. To me and I have seen alot of them, they just seem to be the best Ferrari you can buy. The fact that you can use it everyday, they have a built proof engine, transmissions do have there problems though, but if your careful they can and do last al long time.

I also think they are far better built then a 348/355. All you really have to do is open and close the door on a 308 and then do the same on a 348/355. The door on a 308 sounds like a M-Benz..the 348/355..an old ford comes to mind. The minimal use of plastic in the interior is another point to consider. The plastic surround around the streering colum in the 348/355 drives me nuts. I cannot understand why Ferrari would ever put such a thing into the interior of a 100k+ car. The 308 looks like care was taken in the deisgn of the gauge binical and the layout of the switches ( I love the toggels).

Open the front of a 308/328 your greeted by a nice fiberglass formed spare tire well wil a full size sapre (in the 308's anyway) Open the front of a 348/355 your greeted with cheap-o pressed cardboard cover in somekind of felt stuff that a stereo shop would use to cover speaker boxes with.

Lift the engine cover on a 308 and you can feel it is a nice strong peice. And when you close it it closes with a nice "thunk" instead of a flimsy sounding "clack, rattle, rattle, like the 348/355.

I alos think the design is timeless. They are just beautiful cars to look at. As many as I see, I still sometimes after work admire the lines of the cars. They are just beautiful.

I also like the charm of the car. They seem to let you know when they like the way your driving and when they don't. They are alive!!

8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Yeah what he said.........................................!

9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #10 bernardo66, Jul 8, 2004
  10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    ^^^^ ditto! great post Tom!

11. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    1978 308 #23825 Photo taken at Ferrari South in Jackson MS

12. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Here's my dads 1985 308 GTS QV that I ride around with him in. :)

13. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Very well said Tom.
    I went to test drive the 348 yesterday. It was 1993 348ts which got about 80,000 miles. The owner claim the car went through major service recently.
    I took my wife along. I trust her opinion since she care nothing about cars, the name , the technology, the performance. Her opinion is hornest. We look at the car and I asked if it was worth it to trade our 308 for this car. She respond " but your 308 is a Ferrari, isn't it". Then, she went " Ha!" when i told her that the car was also a Ferrari.
    Then we went inside then she look around and said " no... look like Japaness car interior" Then, we drove it. No, no, no.... no firm clutching, no firm gearing, no jumping acceleration, no race car feeling, handling ok, sound of engine was the worse just like a Honda Civic, most importantly not as enjoyable as I got from my 308. and mine is all original no modification.
    When my wife found out that it cost more than our 308 she went " no way".
    She brought a few same points as you did, Tom. about the plasics inside the car, the doors.
    My point is more matter how richer you become never trade in your 308 for anything else. One of these days its value will surpass any of its newer models. History will decide....

14. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
  15. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    hey nice overhead shot of your 308!

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom

You must have one of the most stunning 308's I've ever seen. That car is just amazing. I really like those wheels. If you don't mind me asking were did youget them and are they still available. I just spent last year 2k on TRX tires because I couldn't find a decent looking set of rims.

Your car makes anything Ferrari has made afterwards look like junk!! No wonder I like them so much!! :) Maybe it's time for me to look for a GTB?

17. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Hi Tom,
    The wheels are Sportline size 16. They are Italian. The previous owner had put them on. And i think it look best out of its original. To me other rims that works should be those with the five stars looking. stay as close as the original as possible. I think
    Pat

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Awesome pics guys!

19. screentime

screentime Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Malibu & Chicago
    Full Name:
    Sean McKee
    1985 308 GTS QV Euro, bought it in December 2002 with 36K miles, it now has about 50K miles.

20. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Nice car. I bet the 360 and the plane are yours too.
    Lucky guy you are.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Have to agree with Tom's compliments on patpong's car & choice (of) wheels. Funny thing is, Monday night, my gal was talking about how much she hated yellow on cars. Thanks to this thread, she was wordlessly convinced of what I explained about yellow on certain Ferraris - all I had to do was point.

And I quote: "Ooooooooooooh! That's niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!"

Thanks for the write-up, Mr. T - it does not go unnoticed. Obviously, there's a reason sentiments about solidity and so forth have been echoed. I still remember the gnawing teeth-gritting feeling (think of Clint Eastwood squinting and you won't be wide of the mark) I had when I opened a door to a 348 & saw the (scuffed) plastic). Still bugs me, yet of the post 308/328 8-bangers, I like the later 348's moreso than 355 Berlinetta & 360 Modena. But still, certain 308 & 328 series lead the charge of the "brig8."

I hate having to wait. One more year before I start looking in earnest unless the can't be-trusted ex pulls another stunt.

22. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #23 jwise, Jul 9, 2004
  23. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
  24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    '77 308 GTB. Bought it from the 1st owner in October of '2003. Has 25,000 miles on it.