Let's review: New Year 2016 Resolutions... did you succeed? | FerrariChat

Let's review: New Year 2016 Resolutions... did you succeed?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by NeuroBeaker, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

New Year 2016 Resolutions... did you succeed? (Public Poll}

1. YES! I met my goals.

2. No, but I'll try again this coming year.

3. No - I give up.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Often times, people will make diet or fitness goals to start a new year in a healthier manner. For some, these resolutions can be a turning point in their lifestyle leading to improved health, but for others this can be a false start that gets deferred to another year or abandoned altogether.

I'm curious to know who had success with their resolutions for New Year 2016. What were your goals and how did you do in trying to meet them? Poll to follow...

All the best,
    Andrew.

2. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    New Year 2016 Resolution: lose weight and gain muscle by changing my eating habits, reducing alcohol intake, and working out at the gym. After passive monitoring for a couple of weeks to establish a baseline of dietary habits and activity, I set a rough goal of losing 1 pound a week since losing fat was going to make the biggest change from that starting point.

Weight around New Year 2016: 228 Ibs, 40½ inch waist.

Diet: using the MyFitnessPal app, I've been tracking what I eat. Being more informed about the nutritional content of food has brief me make more informed choices at the supermarket. I started with passive monitoring of my lifestyle and didn't make any changes until late January. I want able to stick to portion control because hunger would cause me to snack. I bulked up meals with boiled white rice or ate large pasta-based meals with low-fat sauces - I still eat huge portions and don't go hungry, which means I don't snack much between meals. The few times I do snack, I have some fat-free cherry yoghurts or low-fat caramel ricecakes.

Alcohol: this has become a rare special occasion indulgence rather than a regular thing a couple of times a week. It's amazing how many calories are in wine and whiskey.

Gym: After flailing around with some home hand weights for a few months, I joined the gym in the summer and I've been attacking the elliptical cross trainer and getting into a more structured weights program. This has greatly improved general fitness, endurance, and energy levels. I've put on some modest muscle mass, but what's more noticeable is the loss of a lot of fat.

Weight now (at time of posting): 179 Ibs, 35¾ inch waist.

Weight loss (at time of posting): 49 Ibs, 4¾ inches at the waist.

Verdict for 2016: success!!! I expect to have lost a full 50 Ibs by 1st January 2017. I wasn't actually targeting a specific number for weight loss, but that's a nice number to hit. Also, I had to buy smaller jeans and trousers a couple of months ago... the first time I've ever gone down a size in clothes. :)

New Year 2017 Resolution: this past year wasn't a 1-year gimmick for me, but a determination to make some permanent lifestyle changes to ensure continued good health. Having lost a lot of unhealthy weight, I would like to concentrate a little more on gaining healthy lean mass this year. This will require continued dietary discipline, continued restraint with alcohol, and further determination in the gym with greater emphasis on weight training. I'm not yet sure how to easily quantitatively measure muscle mass to track my progress throughout 2017, so suggestions are welcome. It might be simpler to use an indirect measurement such as performance goals (i.e. weights lifted).

All the best,
    Andrew.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I always resolve to lose weight

This time I'll resolve to eat more steak, pizza, burgers, & ice cream and see if that gets me to my goal LOL

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#4 Ricambi America, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Yes.

My goal was to cycle 7,500 miles. I hit 9,200 miles, with still a little while left in the year. My weight bounces a bit between 143-147, but body fat has increased since I stopped most of the resistance based weight training.

I'm still no taller than I was in January 2016, but I guess that's not a surprise!

Ultimately, I would like to see my weight bouncing from 140-145 instead of where it is now. I know that seems like a tiny little change -- but I have really struggled over the last 6 months to keep things where they are.

5. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

This is way way impressive! Big time kudos!!

6. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    'Beaks: Well done on your achievements.

I didn't really set any goals this year, other than being fit enough to ride the 2016 Etape du Tour. I completed it, but the final climb was a real struggle and combined with a some riding around Mont Ventoux I decided I need to be fitter and lighter. I've just finished a 12 week programme put together by one of the trainers in my gym and have dropped from 93kg to 84kg and feel leaner and stronger. I can feel the benefits on the bike already.

I've already set 2017 goals:
    1) Get weight as close to 75kg as I can without looking like skin & bones (I'm 6' 3"), and try to maintain it.
    2) Cycle 10% more miles that I did this year. Currently just over 3,000.
    3) Complete the 2017 Etape du Tour
    4) Put a good base bike fitness in place for spring 2018 when I plan to ride Mont Ventoux 3 times for my 40th birthday.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Before 2016 I set a life change goal, rather than a New Year's goal and took off about 80#. Although I have reintroduced some indulgences back into my diet I exercise regularly and have managed to keep most of it off. I'm still fitting comfortably into size 36 jeans and I'm OK with that. My rowing goal will probably net me another 25 or 30# but my jeans size most likely won't go down, and I'm OK with that too. :)

8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Nice going on the mileage goal! :)

Why'd you stop resistance training? Injury or just changing workout preferences?

Sounds like a plan - good luck! :)

I recall the pictures, you've done very well! :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    PS:
    Did the poll post correctly? I am a bit surprised nobody other than me answered it so far.

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I was building too much bulk in my chest and arms.

I'm skipping hockey this winter (gasp!!), and simply wanted to focus on leg strength and aerobic endurance. My old hockey teammates have already resorted to unflattering name-calling, taunts, and generally boorish attitudes toward my current physique. LOL. It's all in good fun. In other words, they're just pissed I'm not personally buying ice time for the season.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    2017 I changed my resolution from dieting to allowing myself to eat as much steak, ice cream, & pizza as ai want.

Result: I dropped 13# so far

12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#12 DF1, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Andrew,
    Nice thread and poll. I add the following:

About 3+ years ago I radically switched my diet to go modified vegetarian 6 days a week. So far I have not deviated at all. I eat meat/what I want on Saturday.
    - Normal day is muesli mix with nice clean protein powder for breakfast Mon-Fr.
    -Lunch is a salad of actual vegetables not lettuce or such with a few veggies. Walnuts and Tuna included in the salad.
    -Veggie for dinner of a variety of sources etc.
    -Clean plain yogurt with fruit or a bowl of oatmeal in the evening with the inclusion with some clean protein powder.

I lift 3-4 times per week to include full body days and isolation days(upper/back and legs)
    Im 1.7m and 68kilos in weight and have been for years now. Body fat measured last year at 11%. That is the goal to maintain that structure overall. As one ages you lose muscle mass esp men. I use HIIT lifting and mountain bike in good weather. Power walking with the woman.

Diet is the most powerful aspect of all this and the research clearly shows this. If you eat poorly it shows no matter what you do. Im very limited on sugar and sodium as well. The recent lipids were excellent(cholesterol is 150 or less and BP is superb).

I workout and lift for health. Sure I look amazing as well :) J/K

My goals are the same for the new year. To maintain and refine my process. Updating it as research shows changes/data worth utilizing. My woman is very much the same. She is 45 and I am 53. She placed second in her first fitness model/competition. Her motivation is critical for me as well. I do have a 'lazy' streak to deflect :)

Cheers,

David - DF1

13. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Daniel - I'm twice the man you are. Take that!

And that's why I'm in marketing... take a ****ty stat and turn it into something that sounds good. :)

GT