Let's go racin', boys! ***Daytona 500 Spoilers*** | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Let's go racin', boys! ***Daytona 500 Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Feb 20, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Wow. Amazing.

It does look goofy, but if this means all tailenders now have a chance to win, good move by NASCAR, even if it was by 'accident' ;).

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Amusing. Trevor wins, but due to the new 1-series-only points rules, he actually has zero Sprint Cup points.

3. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I wonder if they make a special exemption for his to switch over.

4. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    He made no enemies in the draft...

5. JOHNCJ8989

JOHNCJ8989 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    John
    Couldn't write a better script. Congrats to Trevor... we need more feel good stories.

6. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Great win for the Wood Brothers! Way to go trev!

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Are you serious?! That was one of the best races I've seen in any series.

8. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    He's not running the full season..

Driver's had to choose which series they want to collect points in..

9. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Man I love F1, but that was an awesome race! F1 could only aspire to have a race that great.
    Literally thrilling from beginning to end.

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    from the big crash (lap 40-ish) until 20 to go wasn't that interesting, IMO.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    this is going to be interesting.

somehow I imagine all of a sudden he'll get sponsorship for the full Sprint Cup season.

will NASCAR let him switch his affiliation?

if not, he should just adopt a "crash or win" approach to Sprint Cup.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Haha! I was thinking the same thing listening to him.

13. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Anyone blow an engine? Probably not, but that use to be one of the reasons for going 500 miles; endurance actually was an issue. Now it is to see who can avoid the most wrecks.

The idiom "To finish first, first you must finish" is literal truth in NASCAR. I use to enjoy this race, but it has become a series of 13 lap races in a Musical Chairs format. 15 wrecks, 15 cautions - that is one every 13 laps. So essentially the race restarts every 13 laps with whoever is left seated.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well said.

btw there were 3 blown engines, 2 by RCR cars.

15. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I was thrilled to see a Wood Brothers car win. That was just beyond cool.

16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    As a F1 and JPM fan I gotta give him some love. He finished in 6th.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I thought it was one of the better Daytonas though the last wreck took too many contenders out. There were many very impressive saves though. Kyle Busch should have wrecked about 50 times.

Kudos to Bayne. He drove brilliantly all day. He anticipated trouble and backed out of his pushes when called for. Some of the veterans could learn from him. The fact that veterans wanted to run with him says it all. They normally won't give a rookie the time of day at Daytona. The last move blocking Edwards was terrific.

It occurred to me it has to a big thrill pitching those bad boys on to the 31 degree banking at 200mph, bumper to bumper, side by side, with the big V8 turning over 9K. I wish I could do it.

I read that there were three passes for first last season in F1. One of them was team orders, another resulted in both cars wrecking and I don't remember the third. Something like 60 lead changes today.

Dave

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    "NASCAR: we change leaders more in one race than F1 does in a decade"

;)

19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I was at a watching party yesterday & the same thing happened to me until my phone rang. Great race, just hope the kid can hold his own the rest of the season.

20. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #95 4re Nut, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    +1. I'm not a diehard of any one driver but he is one of my favorites.

I tend to cheer for Ganassi and more so Penske. As a bit of a Mopar guy I guess I'm cheering for Kurt Busch in the Penske Dodge this season. Plus they're sponsored by Shell like that prancing horse team from Italy; that's gotta mean something. :D

21. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Can't believe I missed this thread during live action. I wasn't logged on during the race partially b/c I didn't think there would be much interest...happy to be wrong in this regard!

Is there enough interest (or standard protocol) to have a separate thread for each race or just the big ones?

22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Thanks, that's EXACTLY the part of the race I missed!!!!

Figuring I'd get into a "Daytona mood", I had BBQ and a beer for lunch, and worked on talking with a drawl until the race started.... I remember seeing the crash at lap 40-ish (and about three cautions), and then the BBQ and the beer kicked in and I fell asleep...

Slept like a rock until about 25 laps to go (and saw about 5 more cautions) so it looks like my timing was perfect. If I hadn't caught up on my sleep I'd have felt the biggest part of the afternoon was wasted....

Ya think NASCAR could come up with something to tell the guy behind you that you are on the brakes... Like maybe a center high mounted stop light??? Oh, I forgot, we've only had those on street cars for like 25 years. Well, next year the're going to get fuel injection, we'll probably have to wait another 5 years before they "discover" the stop light....

23. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    That could apply to some South American countries.

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting point. I wonder if brake lights will be added as the next "safety measure." That probably would stop (pun intended) some rear-end love taps.

After brake lights...turn signals! :D

25. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    If you ever have the opportunity, go to Daytona for either the 500 or the July race. Sit high up in the front straight, preferable just past the S/F line.

You can see the entire 2.5 miles from your seat, also the large TV monitors.

The vision of those 43 cars coming to the S/F line for the first time is surrealistic, it is like this giant metal snake. The July race is run at night, so people using flash cameras from the stands add sparkle to the cars. I am always in awe when I see this. It is like the first time I watched the TGV in France from the road as it whooshed by, a long metal snake.

Last year's 500 was my wife's first race experience, and you could not ask for a better way to convince a woman that going to the races is fun. Now she wants to go to the Indy 500 and an F1 race (GuyInc, you still get my seat if you want).

Would like to have seen Dale Jr win on this 10th anniversary, but great to see a new face and an old team win.