Lenses thread | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Lenses thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Cozmic_Kid, Apr 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackwood

blackwood Formula 3

Dec 15, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc
    You lose two stops with the 2.0 right?

What do you lose with the 1.7? 1 and a half stops?

Cameras AF wide open. Adding a TC closes down the aperture, so may slow AF.

2. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #152 Crawler, May 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last Saturday, I attended a track day at Carolina Motorsports Park in SC. While there, I made the acquaintance of a guy who had with him his D300S and Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII lens. He asked me to take some shots of him in his BMW as we were in different run groups. I was VERY impressed with the lens, and will probably do some trading to obtain one without any cash outlay. However, I have also been much impressed with the Sigma 70-200 as demonstrated on another thread by 4REphotographer.

I don't think that my friend from the track will mind me posting these here. (The GTI shot is one that he took of me, also the basis of my new avatar.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    With the 1.7x teleconverter, you lose 1.7 stops. The f/2.8 becomes f/4.8. Still a pretty fast lens at 340mm when zoomed all the way out. It does autofocus a little slower but I have never had a problem shooting track and field events with the teleconverter on. The sprints move pretty quickly and the 70-200 with 1.7x teleconverter seem to keep up.

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    What is the perfect distance to a moving object like a race car??

I am getting too much blur :-/

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    I am not sure that there is a "perfect distance". The 335is was shot from (I'm guessing) approximately 25 ft. (8 m.) away. I panned the camera using shutter-priority automatic mode, and the data is as follows:

Focal length: 110 mm.
    Shutter speed: 1/250
    Aperture: f/10
    ISO equiv.: 200

Maybe that'll help.

6. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #156 4REphotographer, May 21, 2012
    As far as panning goes this is one I took at VIR a few years back, 1/30s!!

I used the Canon 100-400mm and all I can say is don't but it, please don't but it. Yes, you'll get great range, but you'll have a $1200 lens that's softer than a kit lens. So glad I only rented it for the weekend.

7. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This is true. You can pan cars at 1/30 second like the example above and if you go to the Indy Car series, you can take panning shots of cars at 1/1000 second. It depends on many different variables including how far you are from the car, how fast the car is moving, how far zoomed in you are. I find that panning really takes practice to know what to set your shutter speed at. I have taken panning shots of a bicyclist at 1/8 second, a zamboni at 4/5 second and an Indy car at 1/125 second. I can post some examples if you are interested.

8. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Thanks peeps :)

I am panning as well using the "Tv" mode. I am just not seeming to get any luck on getting anything crisp other than birds. *LOL*

I just get the feeling that I am placing myself too close to the objects :-/

Chris, I do have the 100-400 already *hehe* I am quite happy with it. Mostly using it for birds way out of reach :)

9. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Pars,
    yes, very interested. Thanks.

10. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    I would love to see the examples :D

I am definitely practicing big time at the motorway not too far from here. Unfortunately there is a ton of trees and bushes so the light is not constant at all when zooming on the cars.

11. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    That's a great shot!

I generally prefer to use 1/60 or slower for panning. For the 335is I was using a borrowed camera to shoot the owner's car, so I stayed with his settings.

12. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Make sure to turn IS off and be using AI Servo for auto focus, if you aren't doing either it will really screw up results.

I've heard there are some major differences in build quality of the 100-400 so maybe I just got a bad example.

13. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #163 4REphotographer, May 21, 2012
    Thanks, I just got really lucky with that one, I've found my sweet spot to be 125-160, enough for some fluid motion, but keeps the car tack sharp.

This was one I did when I was first starting out, 1/160th and it's still one of my favorites.

14. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yeah, definitely do that next time. If you think about it it makes sense because the IS will be trying to counteract the pan and will just screw things up. I know some Nikon lenses have an IS mode made especially for panning, though I'm not sure about Canon, I've found it's better to turn off altogether.

Your 100-400 is definitely sharper than the copy I had, though it still doesn't come close to the 70-200 huh?

15. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #166 Pars, May 21, 2012
    Here are a few samples of mine:
    1) Danica Patrick is at 1/125 second
    2) The Bicyclist at 1/8 second
    3) Jonathon Toews (hockey player) 1/15s, this is proof I will try to pan just about anything :)
    4)Zamboni 4/5 second and was probably too slow, as it is not totally sharp. It does make it look like the Zamboni was flying though
    5) Corvette was 1/30 second.

A couple of things to do is to have your autofocus on continous mode, use shutter priority and pick your shutter speed ahead of time. Change it as you see fit, too. Trial and error is a great way to learn what shutter speeds to use. Also you should be parallel to what you are panning. If you are not exactly parallel, you run into either the front or the back of the car being a little blurry and out of focus. This happened on my zamboni shot.

16. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Awesome shot of Danica, are you going to Indy this weekend?

17. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Those are great shots :) )

The Zamboni look like a toy thingy :D

18. Pars

Pars Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2006
    KY
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thanks!

Unfortunately not headed there for the race this year. I was there for a car show the weekend before last and some of the teams were doing practice laps then. I took this pic at the time trials last year, which is also a good time with a fraction of the race day crowd.

19. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Wow, whenever I try to go down to 1/60 it's too slow for me, for the track my sweet spot varies from 1/250 to around 1/320

For panning on the street, I'm around around the 1/100 mark (can't remember, don't do panning much on the street)

That's for my 18-135mm lens.

20. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Missed this reply :eek:

Yep, the 70-200 is sharper than the 100-400 :)

Also, both lenses does have an IS mode for panning :)

21. 4REphotographer

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not entirely certain I'll be keeping the 70-200. I went to the Indy 500 this weekend and did two photoshoots and I'm just not that impressed with how it handled either. Very soft images compared to what I got at the lighting workshop, not too sure what's wrong, I'll have to see how the images did when I get home in a few days.

22. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #173 Crawler, May 28, 2012
    I have just started playing around with some of my old fixed focal length, manual focus 'D' lenses on the D7000 (180 f/2.8, 135 f/3.5, and 105 f/2.5). Both of these test shots were taken in my backyard with the 135 f/3.5. I like the results so much that I just bought a D-series 300 f/4.5 on Ebay and am awaiting delivery.

23. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    That last one almost look 3D :):)

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got the Tamron 18-270mm last year. I used it on my recent trip to Europe. Its versatility is priceless and the lens quality very good, particularly with the antivibration. Only drawback is that it eats a lot of battery power so I got a spare for my D200.