"left lane for passing only" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"left lane for passing only"

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kosmo, May 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #26 texasmr2, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know and that is not something to be proud of!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I have the same problem you do. I don't like passing on the right, but will. When coming up on the situation my first variable is my speed. If I'm flying I'd much rather tell them what I'm going to do rather than wait for them to move over. If I'm just putzing along I will wait to make a move until I'm much closer, not signalling until I'm ready to pass. That's just incase they do the right thing and move over. As far as the driving side by side, I'll generally wait it out unless I feel they're intentionally holding up traffic. Then at that point I'll use a long entrance lane to make the pass. I know, not legal, but we have entrance lanes that run parallel to the interstate for a 1/4 mile. This has only happened to me once, when a couple of tractor trailers ran side by side doing 65mph for 6 miles.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Sometimes when I'm going the speed limit, I come up on someone slower, and I move over to pass them, and it takes awhile for me to get by them.

I will stay at the speed limit until I complete my pass IF, someone zooms right up onto my bumper and tailgates me with their brights on, they'll have to wait until I finish my pass. Extra bad points if they are a lifted truck or SUV. I'll also wait it out if I've seen them have a bad history of making short sighted stupid impatient and dumb moves.

If they lift off at a reasonable distance, but I know they want to go faster, and I know its not a high speed trap area, I'll put on a little extra juice and get my pass over quicker. For the most part, if people lift off early enough to not have to use their brakes - I respect their fuel efficient driving style, and I don't want to break all their momentum(I'm a kart racer, breaking another driver's, or my own momentum is a no no, plus breaking momentum wastes energy).

Most of where I drive has enough lanes its not an issue. However, just like I hate coming up on a stack up and breaking my momentum, I also hate being the stack up, so *most* of the time when I see cars coming up in my mirror I try to get out of their way. I can't think of anytime this year that I've not.

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Lesson #1: Pay attention too your mirror's.
    Lesson #2: Refer to lesson #1.

5. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
  6. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    When I was in PA, a lot of drivers seem to think the proper thing to do is to stop at the end of an entrance ramp????

7. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Years ago, some genius decided that it would be a great idea to put traffic signals on our on-ramps.
    Yes, the standard Green/Yellow/RED type, and revenu-, er, "safety" officers (police, having solved all actual crimes, you see) would hide downstream to ticket anyone who dared not enter the freeway from a dead stop.....cuz, you know, it's safer that way.

8. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had this conversation with with my wife's cousin a few months ago. They seem to think "yield" means you stop dead at the top of the ramp and floor it when there is an opening. Imagine the nerve of me matching pace with traffic and blending in while yielding the right of way to faster moving traffic.