Leaving the ignition on can cause deaths . . . who knew? | FerrariChat

Leaving the ignition on can cause deaths . . . who knew?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tifoso2728, May 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
  2. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    You know something......I agree 1000 percent but!
    Even I when leaving the car with a valet or going home and you have a coat,cell phone and all the other garbage in your hands , sometimes you forget.
    Ive heard it as well because its in your pocket and theres nothing to turn but to hit the button.
    Plus my car is soooo quiet you can just forget.
    Would be interesting the age group and sex of the group.....just asking.
    GTJOEY1314

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't recall ever leaving my car on with my prior push button car, and I've never done it with my current car.

*Until today of course, because of this story, I'll do it*

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And some of you think autonomous cars will be more dangerous?

Gmaccormack likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If this story came out a month ago I might have said "sheesh, idiots".

But...

...then it happened to me. And I can't really recall how...all I know is I walked out to my Jeep Grand Cherokee to drive someplace and it was running! I had parked it in my street a couple of hours earlier...scary. First time that has happened to me in 6 years of ownership of that car.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    BECAUSE YOU HAVE AN EAR PIECE, CELL PHONE, SEAT BELT, SIDE AND FRONT beepers and all the rest that your brain is starting to shut out the overload of crap.
    Its happened to me as well.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The problem is not the keyless ignition.

Cars are too quiet today.

If you have a key or keyless you still have the exact same situation

8. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I agree but the brain is on over load.
    You had one key on a joint key chain with the house key.
    But now you don't have to turn a key but remember to go through the steps, a phantom key.
    Add to that the hands free , seat belt , brake pedal depressed, side alarms, front and rear, I really think our brains are shutting out the noise.
    ALL THE NOISE. sounds funny but I get in my old 2005 ford gt and after the key and button, no more noise.
    No beeps, bells, belts , just drive......
    I truly feel we are just starting to tune out.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #9 BMW.SauberF1Team, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Drivers are at fault for this. I've never had an issue. I drive with the radio on and a/c blasting (FL). And I ALWAYS turn both of those off before turning off the car by hitting the button...it's a simple sequence.

My friend's neighbors across the street all died due the father leaving the car running in the garage after returning from a vacation. The husband, wife, and kids all went to sleep and never woke up again. They weren't found until someone stopped by. This was 10+ years ago in Orlando.

Edit: 6 people: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2004-10-29/news/0410290255_1_orange-county-sheriff-older-man-car-exhaust

10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Our Volt got a SW update recently. On electric power (basically silent) and if you forgot to turn it off, when the battery drained the gas motor starts up then runs till empty. Think some people were injured when this happened. The SW update limits the run time.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It happens more then you guys think. I have walked up to cars dropped off for service with the engine still running from the night before..keys in the drop box. I have done it myself a couple of times also.

However..i will say it seems to be the people who have had numerous cars with this type of system. Old school guys like myself always seem to just naturally reach for the ignition key to such off the car. They seem to forget, or have never owned a car that requires a key to open, lock, start or shut off.