Leather Top Boot Tenax fastener install | FerrariChat

Leather Top Boot Tenax fastener install

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Louis Brown, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    I’ve got a new boot that requires punching the holes for Tenax snap installs. So far it looks like correct installation calls for a 3/8” leather punch tool. Anyone corroborate this as correct or is there another meth for cutting the leather? Thanks!

2. Wingnut

Wingnut Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    Corolla, NC
    If you have kept the old boot, remove one of the fasteners and measure the hole. 3/8" seems too large to me, having added snaps (not the fancy Tenax ones) in other projects. Yes, a hole punch. But make the hole as small as necessary. A tight-fitting hole is preferable in most snaps I've done.
    I suggest practicing on a scrap piece of material before punching holes in your new boot!
    Speaking of boots, I've thought of replacing mine on the T Cabrio due to the original boot's decay on the foam side, leaving a yellowish powder on the cloth top after every removal. Has anyone addressed this issue, maybe gluing new foam on the underside of the old boot?

3. Mick5961

Mick5961 Rookie

May 21, 2019
    I've had the same issue with perished yellowish foam in the new boot just purchased. My solution was to work the powder down to a tennex point, take the tennax out and pour it out from there - vacuumed up the rest. So far so good, but I expect to still get a bit of powder with future use, but not as much. I'll just vacuum before I put is on - eventually I'll get there. Pic to show how much I got out. :D
    Cheers
    Mick ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    For a while, I would get the foam / sand in my eyes while driving. Never knew where it was coming from.
    The vacuum did the trick.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Have local seamstress. She released all backing off rear and cleaned up and replaced with generic foam and resowed leather to original backing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Hey thanks. I’ll look into using a 1/4” punch first. These 3/8 Tenax do have a nice serrated surface to grab the leather so hopefully effective as a good anchor.

7. Louis Brown

Louis Brown Karting

Dec 24, 2019
    Richardson Texas
    Full Name:
    Louis Brown
    Ok an answer to the Tenax/Loxx fastener hole punch size. I tested 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8. I’ll try to attach a pic.
    1/4- waaaay too small as expected.
    5/16- allowed 3/8 fastener to be inserted but too much excess leather to allow backing ample thread to screw on well.
    3/8- Perfect fit with plenty of thread in order to screw on backing plate well.
    **The teeth grab well so I don’t think there is much risk of buttons slipping/stretching through a 3/8” hole.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login