Leads on 308 GT4 appreciated | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Leads on 308 GT4 appreciated

Discussion in '308/328' started by xpensivewino, Feb 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Depends on who wants it ;) They range from $50-$75K. Manual 6 speed, and GT2 Carbon fiber buckets drive the value up.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thanx just curious

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I have a 75 308 GT4 that will be coming to the market soon. Very original car, incredible condition. But I'm not going to be selling it in the price range that you're talking about.

There are many crappy GT4s out there, because most were not cared for and prices were always low until the last few years. You can buy a car for $50K that needs another $50K, if not much more, to make it a good car, and after all of that, it will not be original.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    photos? chassis number?

5. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Coming soon. :)

6. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    10598 Silver on Red 75 was for sale in CA and looked like a buy? :D

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes I actually. Saw two silver ones for sale at the same time

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Any old car that is original per say will need more money and metal than one that is not.
    Original is great if it was in a big plastic bag for 40 plus years, and if it was you still need to visit the bank. Mine is on its second bare metal in 16+ yrs of ownership because its going back to original Avorio Safari paint. And more Metal work improvements that I didn't do the first time, and the funny thing is it didn't even need it. I'm making it a better car than it ever was. New NOS quarter panel, improved reskin of driver door, epoxy primer, front seats re leathered, suspension bushings and repaint,, drive shafts rebuilt,calipers by PMB, 11k in the motor for fun and it ran perfectly except for a cam seal leak, 11k And I removed and reinstall motor, rebuilt: carbs , ,stainless valves, guides ,valve seals, head gaskets, intake gaskets, headers ceramic coated, Timevalve ss exhaust, shift shaft bush and seals, oil and trans pan gaskets, misc helicoil, pretty much every seal, belts, tensioner bearings, distributor bearings and seals ,drop gear bearings front and rear seals , cam drive seals and whatever the hell else I forgot from memory! oh steering rack will be done after I get it back, and removing all scratches from window frames and re anodizing. So if the OP thinks you can buy a car for 50k and drive it like you are driving your 2011 pcar,think again, it will always need something to a point. and I'm not saying this to be offensive.

9. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    These cars are not changing hands regularly at much more than $50k. I'm sure you do have a ton of money in your car, but that doesn't make it worth more. Most Ferrari's have 10's of thousands of maintenance in them that will never be recouped. Should I post "WTB 308 GT4 for way over market value"? I'm simply asking for leads on a 308GT4, not a lesson on classic car values, or restoration tips. I've had several possible sellers approach me in the $50k range, so I'm not sure why my ask it's such an issue.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok ill unsubscribe from your thread, maybe I was planting a seed . Ill leave my car in pieces until it is worth more

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    And btw you say you've been approached in the 50k range and you haven't bought one? must not be good enough for you then. Because at that money it wont be good enough, that's all I was tryn to say. The only issue is what you think a GT4 should go for, You know nothing nothing about the GT4. Stick with your depreciating Porsche please. People here are just trying to join in on the conversation and give you a owners knowledge and experience. Yes experience in an old Ferrari

12. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I agree unsubscribe from this thread. You know nothing about me, and obviously about cars. The Spyder is steadily appreciating. I'd love leads on any GT4 cars from the decent members of this community. Please PM me with leads, as I do not want to deal with this guy any more.

13. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  14. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Spyder steadily appreciating? I am not sure I agree with that! Anyway, I would suggest trying to sell the Boxster outright and then striking an all cash deal will give you the most negotiating leverage. Of course, i am sure you are already trying to do this, so maybe a GLWS is due.

As someone who has contacted you previously concerning my GT4, I wish you the best of luck and hope you find something in that 50k range. They really are fun cars and a totally different experience than your Boxster Spyder. While I am not going to agree or disagree with your comment concerning few transactions above 50k - I think the reality is a GT4 has a wide range of values given the age of the cars and hence the wide range of conditions. I think we are getting such a wide range of opinions on this thread because you are simply trying to buy a #2 car for #3 money. Of course, we all try and do that and that is part of the fun of our hobby and what makes a market. The more educated a buyer becomes then the more likely you will be able to achieve your objective. However, you have to keep in mind the audience here on Fchat tends to be very educated and will likely know the difference between a #2 or 3 example and will not let a car go for less than what they feel is fair value. Good luck with your search and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

15. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    The spike in prices on these cars came and went fairly quickly. However a decent buck is possible. 50k isn't unreasonable but for a #2 no way. First they are rare, probably more rare than something closer to what Al has been trying to sell, how many does he have 4 or so still waiting to be bought?

I think anyone looking to buy a GT4 has to get into their head a number 3 or 4 is what you're going to find. I know of one #2, which will never hit the market, a couple #3's avaialble and well 4's those always seem to be available.
    I wouldn't try to get into these cars with less than 50k available and money to still put into it, cause it will need it.

Best go talk to Al with 100k+ and just get it over with. I'm sure he would be happy to get another one out of his inventory.

16. Luis A.

Luis A. Karting

Jul 14, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Guys, relative to a 208 vs a 308, are engine parts availability a concern? There seems to be a good number of 208s available for sale in Europe. Any concerns from that standpoint?

17. skullyspice

skullyspice Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 18, 2013
    L A
    Full Name:
    erik
    BHCC listed a 1978 silver/black that doesnt look terrible. I mean considering most of their cars look like they pulled them out of a lake. $44,500. You'd have to find a rear wing to replace the one that appears to be missing tho.
    no affiliation.
    1978 Ferrari 308 GT4 | Beverly Hills Car Club

18. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    They are indeed known to be unsavory characters, however this car does appear to be not too bad. I'm close enough to check it out easily...Thanks for the lead.

19. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In fact most of the GT4s on the market are 3 or 4 cars and would take a big leap and considerable money to get them even to a 2 condition. Let us know how you make out with your search and best of luck.

20. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    To some extent, the question has been posed on a site frequented only by the most fervent believers in the model; so it's not surprising that the consensus is that these cars are worth strong money, even when actual sales (where money changes hands) seem to point to a rather soft market for this model.

The BHCC car has low miles and looks to be rust free, which is a big start. I would check that the paint is original, there could be some repairs in the lower panels now painted black. Looks too good to be original frankly. Pity about the holes in the trunk. Probably in need of a major as well. Seats look like they have more than 25K miles on them. If they are selling it for $45 they bought it for $25.

21. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    Seats looks very bad and much, much more25 K miles, may be 125 K miles.

22. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The vin does not look correct for a 78' ?

23. antoninosavoca

antoninosavoca Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2011
    Montesilvano Italy
    Full Name:
    antonino savoca
    For 1978 production VIN should be between 13-14.
    My GT 4 1978 VIN is 14190

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #49 samsaprunoff, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #50 DavidDriver, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why so much disagreement here?

Here's why (I know Robert, I know... I know... but hear me out, okay?)

I bought mine for very little money more than 10 years ago. I drove it from Oregon to Los Angeles without any issues. After buying it, I found out the engine had been rebuilt at a cost of $15k-to-$16K, about a 1000 miles before I bought it. I got very, very, lucky. I drove it for a few more months and then decided to replace the synchros, since (in spite of the rebuilt engine) it had a bad 3rd gear. You can read about it here on FChat. Just look-up s/n 10314.

Eric at Auto Gallery rebuilt (reconditioned) the gearbox. It needed new gears and some other tweeks. But oddly, no synchros! At the time, I decided to also get the car painted. I paid for 1/2 of the job to be done, but it was never completed. The shop that had the car whet OOB and I brought the car home last year. (yes, it's been a long, too long, venture!)

Now the car has been sitting in my driveway for the past year, with a coat of primer, waiting for minor finish bodywork and paint. The engine, transmission and other various parts are in my garage. Except for paint, the car just needs to be reassembled.

I have a verbal estimate from Raphael Arroyo to finish the bodywork and paint for $15,000+/- He's not anxious to do the job, but agreed to do the job "as a friend"; he has done several other jobs for me.

So last month I got a HELOC to pay for it, expecting the cost would be $15,000 + another $5,000 to $10,000 to get it all perfect.

So for $20k-25k, I can have a car that will probably be worth $60k.

Here's the conundrum:

If you look at the image below, I have totaled an average value (based on prices I've found online, and including "my estimate" of prices I'd be willing to pay) for the parts if I parted the car out. If you total the amounts in the "my estimate" column, the total is about $58,000.

The total average, speaks for itself.

And FWIW, this is a short-list. Only the most marketable parts are in this list. There are dozens and dozens of other parts I removed before making this shortened list to post here in this thread.

So I'm wondering (besides the fact that I'd love to drive the car again), what's the point in spending $20k-25k and walking away with "maybe" $40k, when I could probably make more by selling it piece-by-piece. When the parts sold separately are worth so much more than the car as-a-whole, then there is no incentive to sell for any less. And if you're a skeptic (i.e., a buyer who is looking exclusively in the $50k range and getting frustrated), and you are correct that the car is only worth $50k, then my point is made, even more so.

BTW: You may notice, I have also not included in the value of the car itself in the total value in either column. If I keep the car, I can still build a Stratos which is what got me looking at GT4s (for parts) when I found this car in the first place! And a Stratos (even a good replica like a Hawk, with the proper--and impossible to find--shared GT4 parts), is worth far more than a GT4. (Yes Hans! This is what I'm up to... )

IMHO: This is why you have such a vast difference in opinion here, regarding the value of a GT4. Those who want to buy are dreaming. And so are those who may want to sell (or restore) but are then confronted with the harsh realities of "value".

Just my 2-cents of course! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login