Le Mans | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Le Mans

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by darhart, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have spoken to Stewart and we will sort out a decent drinking hole. We have to wait as in his words, "its a bit nippy out there." (honest he's not THAT old!).

To organise things properly can people bring cards with mobile numbers written on. We can arrange a noticeboard behind a designated bar and then we can share numbers and make last minute arrangements without causing individuals to wait endlessly for others to show.

In addition Stewart and I use BT walkie talkies whilst down there - saves huge mobile telephone bills racking up for endless 'Which end of the pit straight are you standing at?" phone calls. We can leave details on that board of what frequency we are using.

P.S. With this recent change in law about not holding mobile phones in the car, please note these walkie talkies are an investment as it is still legal to hold two way radios whilst driving (I presume this is because the police use them themselves). As such, even if you don't use the radio merely having a walkie talkie in the glove compartment is great for the roadside defence of "'Sorry officer it was my radio, not my mobile I was speaking to!"

2. paulnwgb

paulnwgb Karting

Sep 3, 2003
    Dunmow, Essex
    Full Name:
    Paul Gardner
    As someone who's never been to Le Mans and is toying with the idea of going next year - what can I expect? Any practical tips? Dos/Donts?

Cheers
    Paul

3. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

As somebody who has been going for years, i can virtualy guar
    antee that you will have an amazing experiance.

Unlike F1 You can get extremly close to the action. The crowd are fantastic and the locals are very helpfull.

If you go next year i guarantee it will not be your last.

keep in touch and i will let you know more about our plans when i start to organise our trip next year.

Regards

Stewart

4. LTD 355 F

LTD 355 F Rookie

Dec 9, 2003

5. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    For once I would agree with Stewart - the race is spread over 24 hours but the party is spread over 7 days! I went for the first time last year and am hooked.

The atmosphere is so much more relaxed and you can get close to the action. The only rush to see anything was the first lap!! From then on sampling the race, the atmospere and the town can be done at your own pace.

Do's - bring a decent car - the town is packed with UK registered cars that deserve respect. Keep in contact with as many peope as possible as the continual ability to party is fantastic.

Don't - Go there on a diet!

6. darhart

darhart Rookie

Nov 8, 2003
    london
    Full Name:
    darren
    Do book NOW! most places have sold out already, i hear continental car tours have some spaces left 01304 380244.

Do camp in the circuit, fantastic atmosphere. Houx Annexe was the site i stayed at last year, bit basic but everyone's too drunk to care.

7. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    In terms of booking - darhart may well be correct about the campsite (I have no experience) however, in terms of hotels either book as far ahead as possible (i.e. now) or wait for 2 weeks to go when any of the allocations and cancellations occur.

We were in the Novotel last year near the circuit and got in. Looking at the car park I cannot believe the place was even 2/3 full! This is despite them claiming they could charge whatever price they liked for race weekend rooms. A quick call by Stewart to their MD's office about pricing policies soon had them back at normal rates!!

I am novice Le Mans but Stewart informs me that he gets hotel rooms at decent rates at least 80% of the time.

Izza