Le Mans 24 - Qualifying & Race ***spoiler*** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Le Mans 24 - Qualifying & Race ***spoiler***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jun 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To paraphrase a magazine headline I once saw about another marque's overwhelming victory:

"Uno, Due, Tre, Quattro: Ferrari Rubs It In!"

(I hope someone does a t-shirt commemorating this triumph.)

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Man, I'd love to wear that to a PCA event! Hah!

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Hal-Ley-Looo-Ya! Thought I was the only one pulling for the Audis. This race proved (yet again) how great they are at endurance racing.

P1 is the Pinnacle, so you have to like that. But GT2 is closer to road cars - these are the true GT cars. I like the Corvette/AM GT1 battle, but the cars are further from the road-going templates. (Except the Saleen, which is near to a racer in street form). It's fun to see the 911's and 430's go at it, and even more fun to watch the Ferraris bring it home it great fashion. Speed's coverage was a little low in GT2, but what can you do.

4. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
    This may be a little off-topic, but I want to rant about how I am fed up with the speed channel.
    A week in advance they advertised Stay tuned for historic coverage of LeMans. Then they covered the start and the middle of the night and that was it. I tried tuning in yesterday evening hoping to see some results but instead all I got was re-runs of PINKS!

5. pagani

pagani Karting

Aug 9, 2007
    Roermond NL
    Full Name:
    Wouter
    Porsche+audi over ferrari for me

6. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Audi is not the pinnacle team. They have had how many years over Peugeot(?), to develope their car and the fact Peugeot can come in and almost give audi a run for their money. Let's not forget the Mcnish factor and the other great driver's audi has on their team.

7. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I remember reading that, they had trouble with the car at Paul Ricard (maybe another track in spain?), and the car had some kind of teething issues. However i've also picked up a magazine i've never seen before called "Race Tech" that had an article about the car. In it they were saying that with a closed cockpit car you can get the center of gravity lower. ;)

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Makes me even more proud of having been associated with the Risi Comp guys...........Way to go guys, you deserved it for all the hard work you have put in and the way you have carried the marque.....congratulations again....

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #134 jknight, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
    Peter - to answer your question about the Group C race - it was won by #4 Jaguar XJR-12/Silk Cut driven by Justin Law. . . know him?? he was indeed RACING the car - Hindy did the commentary on the race and intially commented about would it be a race or demostration but strongly expected it to be a bit of both and it most definitely was just that. Unfortunately, the Sauber Mercedes C9 didn't complete the race - the car is the record holder for the fastest speed down the Mulsanne Straight of some 257 mph. The list of entries is in the LeMans program and if there's anyone you want me to check, just let me know. What sounds!!

I have some photos from walking thru the pits on Friday and from Saturday and Sunday - will post later today.

The 2009 Le Mans race will feature Aston Martin - wouldn't it be awesome to see an enormous GT1 field of AM's and perhaps another P1 car?? Hindy said there will be some surprises instore.

John and I most definitely ditto your comments about the Epsilon Euskadi-Judd - It is by far the most beautiful car on track. Also add the Dome-Judd S102 from Japan - absolutely striking in white with the gold wheels and very little advertising and a large Japanese flag on the side.

More later . . .

Carol

10. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Thanks, Carol. Justin is car owner Don Law's son and is very, very talented. In the Historic Group C races, the field is pretty deep and a lot of people who raced the cars originally (at least in the US) continue racing the cars today, so they only know one way to go!

My favorite is the AMR-1, though. I'm sure both cars will be there next year for the support race. I have some experience in FIA Group 6 cars (Lola T-294, T-70 MkIIIB coupe) and Group C2 cars (Tiga, Harrier) but no Group C experience.

Thanks for your reports and look forward to your pics.

11. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It is generally accepted that the highest trap speed was 251 by a WM Peugeot V-6 turbo powered car in 1988.

The Porsche 917LM did 247 mph

The Sauber MB was clocked at 400 kmh or 248 mph.

12. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I thought this wasn't during the race but during qualifying. They tapped all the air scoops and seams on the car to reduce the drag to minimum, reached the speed and killed the engine. The 917 and Sauber C2 times were during the race.

13. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Found this...

"They built a new car for 1988 with even lower drag and went for it
    about 3 hours into the race with cooling intakes taped over for
    further drag reduction and Roger Dorchy achieved a speed of
    407kph (251mph). The engine was then finished and the car wheeled
    away at the end of the lap by a happy team. Incidentaly, Michelin
    supplied WM with special narrow tyres to aid the drag reduction
    quest."

14. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks for posting that.

15. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I know I'm also late to the party but having Audi and Ferrari win was exactly what I was hoping for but not expecting! Dreams do come true!

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Why did they do that during the race? Seems like a waste, unless something was already going wrong with the car.