Le Mans 24 Hours 2021 | FerrariChat

Le Mans 24 Hours 2021

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Nov 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's looking like Le Mans is on (so far) normal dates for next year, June 11-12. https://www.24h-lemans.com/en

The twist is, I read on a board devoted to Le Mans (CA), that, first.....

" ......test day returns for next year, but on Sunday 6th, that is the Sunday prior to race weekend.

It'll be interesting to see what they do about scrutineering as that would traditionally be the first day of Pesage in town. Plus there is usually scrutineering on the Saturday prior to the test day. Will they just do it once? Time will tell I guess. "

and:

" 2 options, move scrutineering to Monday/Tuesday or do it before the test day.
    Woe betide any team who has a major whoopsie on test day, but that is also true on normal practice/qualifying days anyway. "

lastly.....

" There is usually scrutineering prior to the test day, so the sensible thing would be to do just the one on the Saturday prior to test day, however....
    They are French of course. Image Unavailable, Please Login "

Alas, Test Day exists for a number of reasons. One of which, of course, is to test/decide different concepts.
    One potential risk with one scrutineering before Test Day could be an increased probability of another debacle like the Andrettis rejection just before race time in '82.

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I have been to Le Mans three times. Each time I was credentialed and could go virtually wherever and whenever I wanted. We rented scooters so we could move around more quickly and easily. The circuit is 8.2 miles around, so going from the hot pit to Mulsanne Corner would be a long hike. Getting back inside to Indianapolis is also a circuitous route. It's another long way to get the the outside of Arnage. Same to get to the outside of the Porsche Curve (although there is a little known way to do it from inside the circuit). My favorite corner was Mulsanne followed closely by the exit of Tertre Rouge and the long look down the valley of trees. The Playstation (first) chicane on the Ligne Droite des Hunaudieres, more commonly known as the Mulsanne Straight, is a great place to get head on shots as the cars slow dramatically.

People who have reserved seats usually show up just before the race starts, and go back to their lodging at night. Amazingly, they sleep in little pup-tents. They only get to see brief snapshots of the race as the cars whiz past. Without Radio Le Mans no one knows what's going on.

The people who have general admission tickets wander around like zombies day and night. A goodly number are four sheets to the wind before the race starts. The Brits, unaccustomed to the sunshine, go shirtless and wind up with horrific sunburn.

At every IMSA/ALMS race I was required to wear three layers of Nomex ® to go over the wall. At Le Mans, you could wear shorts my first year. But then the ACO required three layers and shoes as well as balaclavas. They change every few years. But they are much more flexible than the FIA who keep photographers so far away it's not worth the trip without an 800mm L lens. That's a requirement to get the frame-filling shots editors want. And it's $13,000. Even my 500mm cost $8,000.

For the teams and the media it's not a 24 hour race: It's 40 hours. And it's a grind.

I would never pay to watch a race in person ever again. You see more on TV. You don't have to deal with the traffic (murder) and the crowds. Everybody needs to go once, to experience the spectacle and the ambiance. But watch successive races on TV.

Ray

william likes this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Between the 60s and 70s, I went to Le Mans about 12 times, the first time in 63, and once as a guest in the Matra pits.
    Not even wild horses would drag me there now; you can see far more on TV, I agree.
    They broadcast the race from different locations on the track, give you inboard footage, and you are more informed than at the track side.

4. Ouch. You guys are scaring me.
    I don't attend as often as I used to (gettin' older....ain't got the energy I used to have), but, there's nothing like the sound, the sight, the smell, and the atmosphere of being there. (william, you never made use of Radio Le Mans to follow the "story" whilst attending? Hell, I even have over here when they broadcast our races. Most larger facilities also have their own frequency for broadcasting also)

May as well just do the virtual racing, as last year during shutdowns. You could insure much "better" (closer) racing by literally writing the "script" and 'would cost so much less, be safer and leave more room for housing and business centers......

Me I'll keep attending as many as I can handle (too cold in Daytona for me this year as I would stay at the track for the duration, as usual. Had rooms twice early in my 25-30 Rolexes but whenever I tried to retreat, I found myself returning to the track, not wanting to miss a beat. 'Didn't bother again.... 'Got my best naps in the stands across from the pits or tenting/in my car, dozing too the constant "music" :))

5. lord.brett

lord.brett Formula 3

Nov 26, 2006
    France Normandie 27
    Full Name:
    brett
    I have been going there for a long time now with the exception of last year.
    I love the general atmosphere and the campsites, that's what keeps me coming back year after year. I miss all of this.
    For the 2021 edition, I am very pessimistic.
    The ticket office will only open in April, when it is usually at the end of October. And the Automobile Club de l'Ouest has just announced that the motorcycle edition of the 24 hours will take place behind closed doors in April.

6. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    concerning whats going on here in europe in terms of virus mutations and goverments closing borders and even more travel restrictions applying, I highly doubt we are back to full stands in 4 months time....

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Do you think the event will run in 4 months time?

I am expecting a lot of calendar changes..again.

8. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Postponed to 21-22 August with an increased possibility of spectator access...

Hawkeye likes this.
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I wonder if Corvette Racing will try to make the trip now. The new LM24 date conflicts with the IMSA VIR round. That is a busy time of year so I think we are going to see a lot of calendar changes.

10. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    In F1 they put TV screens in most grandstands, so you can watch the whole race. At Le Mans they should put more screens, but these days you even can watch the broadcast on your phone. Still, I agree in that maybe going to one race per season is enough the "get the feel", and watch the rest on TV.

I´ve never been to Le Mans, and it´s not going to be these year either, still too much coronavid around there. But 2023 could be a good year to go.

11. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Has IMSA not gotten around to updating their schedule? I'm seeing VIR listed as Oct. 8-10th?

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The update in the date changes for VIR and PLM came out after I had posted.

I actually think the date shift for VIR will be great. VIR in August is oppressive heat. In October it should be really nice, plus some good color on the trees. In additions, the days will be shorter so there should be some good dawn and dusk sunlight for some of the sessions.

LamboLover likes this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  14. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We know that these are "transitional" years, so the expectations have to be low. At least this year we have Glickenhaus and GM to replace Aston Martin at GTE Pro.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    GM has been at Le Mans with the Corvette for 2 decades already, and their pârticipation this year may be compromise with the change in calendar

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    They were not at LM in 2020.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I know, because of a clash between the WEC and the IMSA calendar.

The same could well happend this year with the change of date for Le Mans.

I wish we could see the new Corvette at Le Mans this year though.

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting that Risi is running an LMP2 and not GTE. Preparing for a Ferrari Hypercar in the future?

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    wax likes this.
  20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Debout tout le monde (wake up everybody)!

First practice today at 2PM (8AM US east coast time)!

Beyond the main websites such as motorsport.com for actual racing news some may enjoy the more atmospheric local color of the local news papers (I read the IndyStar website during the build up to the 500 for example).

Just like Indianapolis Le Mans explodes with activity and huge numbers of visitors during practice and race.

For Le Mans it is the "Ouest France" daily:

Here is the section about the LM24. Just refresh every morning for new stories.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/sport/24-heures-du-mans/

Interesting news already, there will be a hyper pole for the first time so top cars in each class can slug it out with far less traffic.

Alpine will have a major treat to offer: a high profile parade shortly before the race with none other than Alonso himself in an Alpine F1 car (first time ever an F1 goes round the full 13,6kms circuit not to be confused with the much shorter Le Mans Bugatti circuit which hosted the french GP one tie only in 1968) Ocon in an A100GT4 and other models.

There will be some spectators this year, unlike last.

21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    MotorTrend on Demand is showing all the qualifying practice and racing action starting today.

sjd

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Rooting for an LMP2 car to win overall. Either that or the LMP1 Rebellion....I mean Alpine Hypercar... ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  23. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello, is there some anti Glickenhaus sentiment here in FC based on his claims of P4 car. As i haven't seen any real support for his effort at LeMans, myself I'm wishing him the best as what he has done is simply amazing, being basically a privateer.

ferraripete, Nembo1777 and Thomas S. like this.