Law enforcement update for tex | FerrariChat

Law enforcement update for tex

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by texasmr2, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Just wanted to share my happiness with all my friends here concerning the persuit of my law enforcement career of which I have been persueing for the past year. I had originally planned on on attending HCC but for numerous positive reason's I have switched to the UoH Downtown and will hopefully, no I WILL, be starting in Sept. I have currently been getting all the required test done ie background and drug so all I have left is my physical next week and then my psych evaluation and then it's on to the academy!!!!! Funny thing about my finger prints is that I had to go back today because the scanner/database would not accept the scan of my nub LOL. My drug test was the highest you can take ie a 10 point analysis and I walked out with my result's in hand instead of the usual 48hr waiting period, they blinded me with science!!

Wish me luck and I will keep everyone up to date and then see who would like to attend my graduation. Another positive note is that I will be adjusting my work schedule and will not be working weekend's anymore so Cars & Coffee here I come.

Thanks for enduring my rant,
    tex

2. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Great news, Gregg, and best of luck!! Keep us updated.

3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Good luck Gregg. Just to be clear, after you receive your badge, in the event you happen upon one of your Ferrari Brethren out vigorously exercising his Cavallino on a nice warm Texas day, top down, approaching triple digits, will you high five him for taking the car and driving it as it was meant to be driven and let him go with a simple warning?

4. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Lmao Doc! :)

Congratulations Gregg! All that hard work is finally about to pay off. What does the physical test consist of? How hard is it?

Chris

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Not sure about the physical because the doctor was out today so I will go on thursday.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good luck Gregg! Especially with that phsyc test. We all know you're a little bit off the rocker. lol ;)

Are you going for HPD, Harris County, somewhere else?

I have a couple friends that work for the Sheriffs office.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yah I'm alittle worried aswell haha! I'll be applying with Katy, Sugarland, Richmond and Rosenberg to startout with.

8. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I forgot to add that I have been turned down by three agency's just for jailor positions for reasons I feel are rediculous by two of them.

1. Montgomery County in Conroe where my uncle is a sheriff but atleast they told me during my interview dont be surprised if I'm turned down, heck it took my uncle 5yr's to get on with them. There are alot of retired officers from HPD and HC that go to MC becuase of the location the pay scale and it only takes 5yr's of service to recieve a pension.

2. Fort Bend turned me down because they thought I had too many job's within the past 5yr's (3 due to reason's which I explained in detail to them), this was one year ago.

3. Harris County turned me down because of something I did 15+yr's ago and told me I could never work for them even after I passed all of their recruiting requirements.

4. HPD told me I was too old and this was when I was 43yrs old and it clearly states on their website that the cutoff age is 45. My uncle did not start his law enforcement career until he was 50yrs old, screw HPD imo.

I have met and spoken with nearly 100 officers and have been told I'm not to old to make a contribution and the main thing is to be persistant so that is why I'm getting my state certification from the UoH. The course includes everything from firearm certification to the car control ie PIT etc etc. I will be assigned uniforms, a handgun plus all the ammunition needed. I will also have full access to their gym for me physical training.

9. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Hey Tex.....
    I wish you luck in your LEO career when you get there. You'll love it. As an officer for about 3 years now(reserve and fulltime), I'm still loving it. I end up staying late every other day because I'm always finding some drama to get into. Just keep a drive. You'll have at least officer tell you you're making them look bad by being so active, but they don't sign your paychecks. Been there passed that. Court is always exciting(sarcasm, lol). Traffic court is a breeze, the felony/criminal courts are the pain. But, it's a part of the process. It's nowhere near the paperwork I thought it would have been. My son seeing my patrol car everytime I pass by the house. Have to take the obligatory pic with the new child in the car now, lol.

Best of luck. If there's anything I can do for advice on the interviews, please don't hesitate to contact me. A few departments I went for told me right off the bat I probably wouldn't make it on the first try. A lot of the officers didn't get hired until they're 3rd or so time. GOOD LUCK!

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Chad,
    Your support mean's more than word's typed into a keyboard can mean, now and in the past. I AM going to be a great peace officer and supporter of my community, my city and it's surrounding community's and our great state of Texas. Alot of people have what I see as a negative outlook toward's law enforcement as some of them think we are there to 'bring them down' which could not be further from the truth. We want to help, assist and be a positive enfluence not just to ourselves and family but to our community, I wish people could realize that but we must crawl before we can walk right. As far as being turned down that is something I will deal with, have dealt with after 3 intensive application process's for a jailor's position, and all of the officer's I have spoken with say the same thing that persistance is the key and persistance is me!

Thank you for your support Chad as it truelly mean's a great deal to me,
    Gregg

ps,
    I cannot remember if I mentioned previously that my uncle Maurice who is a sheriff in Montgomery County is battleing cancer. He is the oldest of my 3 uncles and had a huge hand in raising my brother and I and is one of my biggest supporter's. He is and has alway's been a huge inspiration in my life and I want/need to repay him for the what he has given me. Oh I joined a gym two week's ago to start prepareing myself physically and have taken/passed my drug and background check's. I must return for my physical because my BP was way to high to pass the first time yet I now know why and have started taking BP medicine now. After that I will take my mental evaluation and start class on Sept 14th. I will be going part-time from 8:30am-12:30pm so I can still work and pay my bill's and that is one of the best thing's because I can pay for school myself and do not need financial assistance.

I'm so very excited, happy and optimistic about my future now I want to shout it out!!!!!!!!!!!!! My best to you and your family and I will contact you with the invitation to my graduation, thank you!

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That surprises me about Harris county. I think it's a problem with police forces though, they complain about not having enough officers yet they have some ridiculous rules in place that.

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes sir you are right about that!

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tried Dallas?

BTW, congratulations.

A "Midlife" career change like you're doing is a big achievement indeed.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    No I have not because I want to stay local for various family reasons. Yes a 'midlife' change is quite a challenge but that is what makes it so enjoyable. There was an article in the Houston Chronicle last week about a gentleman that became a Harris County jailor at the tender age of 64 so that was very inspiring and motivating for me.

That is something I cannot answer honestly for various reasons yet I'll do what I feel is warranted in that particular situation.

tex

ps,
    Speaking with a customer the other day our conversation led to me mentioning the academy and he immediately asked if I had started running yet. I said no but I have started my physical preparation and he said that he works downtown and see the recruits running everyday, yikes!!!! I still have 2 months before school starts and will only be attending part-time so I know I will kick butt. I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer for a few session's to help with a regimen that will help me achieve certain goals before class's start.

15. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    no need for the personal trainer....The only way to get better at pushups, is to do pushups. same for pullups and running. looks for san antonio police department's website. they have a running plan on the physical training page to help cadets prepare for their running. It really helps and it will get your timing/endurance down so much better. Back in the day I had weighed 350. I dropped 100 with the help of a trainer. They're great, so don't get me wrong. I found him to be a benefit since I needed to establish something because I wasn't doing jack in the first place, some motivation.

16. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    Texas, duh
    Full Name:
    Chad
    It's okay Tex, just use my disclaimer, lol:

disclaimer: The term herein known as "Insider" is loose in meaning. This term and/or agreement does not
    give the owner(s) access to free radar tests, land-speed record runs, get out of jail free cards, warnings, or
    a free ride around the block. The hereafter named in this ruling may possibly contain the chance to activate lights and/or siren in a closed course/sanctioned event. By agreeing to agree in this agreement of agree'ers, you hereby promise to let me remain on these boards to drool over all of your fast cars, lol. Also, you agree to pay this lister's motorcycle compliments upon sight...lol...

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    You can't leave us hanging on that Gregg. Go on... :D

18. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Let's just say I acted like a highschooler and I'm not proud of it. Starting school soon, just got laid off aswell, so atleast I have something to look forward to.

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Took my psych test yesterday and walked out with my certificate so it seem's I am not as loco as I thought or other's have lol. Start school on Sept 14th which is awesome now I just neeed to find a part-time job. I'm gonna try DriverSource one more time.

tex

20. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    US Army site has info on good work out routines. I believe the Marine one does too....

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thanks I appreciate the info.

tex

22. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    Terrific! UH Downtown? I'm teaching a course at the law school this semester Wednesday nights, let me know if I might see you on campus :)

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes UoH Downtown but I'm attending the morning class's.

24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Well I started school monday and it rocks! I was made class leader so I'm the cadet who instruct's the other cadet's when a superior aka our instructor, an officer or another instructor enter's the classroom. Next week we start our pt evaluation's and will recieve our uniforms.

Good times,
    Gregg

25. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Congrats!