Latest in Radar Detection? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Latest in Radar Detection?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lawteam, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYFAIM

NYFAIM Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Howard R.
    Drove over from LA to Las Vegas two or three weeks ago - radar detector saved us at least once. We were cruising at 80-85. I think the limit is 70 on I15. Anyway we come up on a Volvo SUV camping in the left lane doing about 80. We pass her on the right, and then the Valentine 1 starts to chirp. We also use Waze, and sure enough a cop is flagged ahead. So we slow down as we come up on the cop, and the lady in the Volvo is now catching up to us. We pass the cop, she passes the cop, and then she passes us. Then the cop pulls out and pulls her over - he flicked on his lights right beside us. She had no clue how she got the ticket and we didn't.
    Then later on as we're coming into the outskirts of Vegas the laser jammer goes off - we were nailed with laser at 86 mph. We had no idea where that was coming from - it was totally out of the blue. Sure enough the cops are shooting laser on motorcycles. And again, some poor SOB beside us gets pulled over. I have the AntiLaser Priority system, which is one of the best systems available - three sensors up front and two at the rear. It records what speed you were doing and which laser gun the cops were using.
    So yeah, I"m a believer in using any and all legal methods to counter the cops.

Bundy, arizonaitalian, VAF84 and 4 others like this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I’ve recently bought and tested tested the V1gen2 vs. Redenso

The bottom line is you can choose extra range and arrows with V1 while receiving ENDLESS false alarms.

or,

reasonable range and auditory bliss with the Radenso.

Biggest negative with Radenso is lack of directional arrows !! Please add these Radenson for the perfect set up.

Very disappointed with the new V1. I’ve purchased 5 of these units over the years and can’t believe they can’t tune out all these false alarms. To make matters worse, reflections off the surfaces of the car BMW are constantly triggering Laser alerts !! So, you come out with a new generation of detector and you can’t fix this crap from the older units?

I understand you can use a third party app to tune out some of this X-band stuff, but it appears very complicated to me.

Someone please make a product with V1 Range and arrows with built in GPS lock out capabilities and the X-band filters of Radenso.

3. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I used to have a laser jammer on my old Cayman S, until Texas passed a law making it illegal to have/operate a laser jammer. Is your system considered a laser jammer, or did the company find a way around calling itself that?

I love my Valentine One, it's paid itself off many a times. It took 10 years before my original one started to have some minor issues. I just ordered a the latest version today.

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I don’t have a separate laser jammer. The V1 has saved me plenty. I’m just so sick of the false alarms which Radenso seems to have mastered.

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    You stopped using your laser jammer because Texas made it illegal? Speeding is illegal, does that mean you go the speed limit all the time and never exceed it?

In most states the penalty for speeding, particularly high digits, could possibly result in reckless driving charges and jail time. On the flip side, No jurisdiction is locking you up if you get caught with a laser jammer or radar detector.

The cops can’t detect you have a system as long as it triggers to auto-off within a few seconds giving you a chance to slow down and THEN give the cop a reading at your new lower speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That's a good point. However, was more worried about having the car impounded or them going in and taking the laser jammer in a way that could damage the car. I could be wrong, but I imagined it'd be a bit like getting caught with drugs, where the illegal items are taken from you. I also don't know how the charges would change between speeding vs possession of something illegal.

I had a kill switch on mine. The only reason I knew jammers had become illegal was because I got busted by traffic enforcement in Houston after getting pegged with a laser. I immediately killed it, but still got pulled over; which surprised me because I wasn't really speeding in the first place. Officer repeatedly asked if I had a jammer, but I declined to admit it. He told me he wasn't trying to give me a ticket, but just let me know what the law had just passed making them illegal. Anyway, since then I haven't had a jammer, but I do miss it.

7. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Speeding once you pass a certain threshold to reckless driving becomes a criminal offense in all 50 states where you face jail time and losing your license. No radar detector or laser jammer is a criminal offense...just a fine.

It’s not illegal to OWN laser jammers, just to use them. You’re fine, admit nothing, deny everything, and if you get a ticket so be it. At least you weren’t pegged at 100mph+ and spending the night in jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    one simple question: Did you run the V1 Gen 2 with either of the phone apps? If not, it sucks, no doubt. With either of the apps, its fantastic and quiet.

It is not complicated in the least. Making this post on F-chat was more involved than using the phone app with my V1G2.

If you tested one and didn't use the phone, you must not have read this thread (or anything out there) that clearly tells you that you were going to have the experience you had.

the redline 360C is the best at "all in one unit". The R7 is pretty close behind.

The V1 absolutely requires you download a phone app (takes someplace around 30 seconds, maybe a minute, so I sorta get why its not an option for some). If you do, it is basically the same as the Redline, for $250 less.

9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Can you recommend a app ? I did download the the one app it doesn’t do much.

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Good point, the Valentine app "V1 Connection" doesn't do anything other than give you app based control of the few settings.

https://www.vortexradar.com/2020/03/how-to-program-v1-gen-2-v1connection/

Far more importantly, there is one main app that brings the GPS, auto-lockouts, filtering, BSM control, etc, etc (you have to choose one based on Android or Apple phone):

For android users get JBV1 https://www.vortexradar.com/2020/03/getting-started-with-jbv1/

For Apple users get V1 Driver (that's what I use). https://www.vortexradar.com/2018/03/how-to-configure-v1driver-settings/

Download it to your phone. Watch this video to configure it, then it will connect via bluetooth and that's it. I haven't used the app other than the initial settings selection. (which you can even avoid and just leave it in the out-of-the-box config). That said, watching the vortex vids on this topic and spending an hour or so learning and then custom setting your V1 Driver or JBV1 is not a large investment and pays off in multiples.

If, otoh, you want "plug and play", get the redline 360C or the Uniden R7.

(I have to have arrows - once you have them, it feels archaic to go with out, so those are the only 3 for me as they also have the longest range too, so its a win/win choosing one of these 3. As I've said here before, if/when Radenso delivers Theia and if it does what they have promised, it will be a top contender. It will also cost a bunch more than the $499 V1 or the even lower priced R7 (street price).)

Bundy likes this.
  11. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks Arizona for taking the time to share this info. Getting VR Driver today.