Last movie you saw | Page 275 | FerrariChat

Last movie you saw

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PrettyBoy, Jun 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Colleen Moore. Excellent comedienne from the silent era.

Why Be Good? 1929. Rom Com. Colleen's love interest? Neil Hamilton. Who? Most know him better as Commissioner Gordon from the campy 1960s Batman TV show. Ms. Moore is lovely as Pert Miller, fun loving Jazz Baby.

Ella Cinders. 1926. Basically a retelling of the age old Cinderella fairy tale.

T

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Godzilla vs Kong. Loved it, saw it on the big screen but also downloaded it.

3. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    WJHMH and G. Pepper like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Easter Parade- not a bad song in it Irving Berlin at his best

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

G. Pepper and tomc like this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Baby Face. 1933. Barbara Stanwyck.

Sexy Stanny is a girl from a depressing mill town who works her way up the corporate ladder in NYC from filing room to boardroom one man at a time. Chewing them up and spitting them out! Including a young John Wayne. Sorry Duke, you're too low on the totem pole at this stage in your career for Stanny.

If you want to see classic Pre-code Hollywood, this movie is the straw that broke the camel's back. Some have claimed that this movie ended the racy pre-code Hollywood days.

T

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Bad Times at the El Royale. Kept me entertained but I like Jeff Bridges' work.

BJK likes this.
  8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We get a chance to see a "free" movie every month through the USA Film Festival group in Dallas. Been around for 40+ years.

We just saw one that ranks in our 2 worst films of all time, right behind Kundun. French Exit, with Michelle Pffeifer, was just a downer the whole way through. About a woman who's rich husband died 12 years earlier, and the money has now run out. She moves to Paris, with her son, and mooches an apartment off her close friend. As much as we love Paris, even those scenes were few and far between for any cinematic interest.

Don't waste your time or money on this one.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sunset Boulevard, 1950.
    Classic tale of a fallen film idol longing for a come back, and her descent into madness.

Gloria Swanson in one of the great acting exhibitions of all time.

Really need to watch more of her silents.

T

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Just finished reading her autobiography. Amazing woman, amazing life. Arguably, one of the most famous women on Earth 100 years ago.

After watching Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, and reading her autobiography, I felt the need to watch her silents.

Male and Female, 1919 - OK. Worth watching for the scene in the lion's den, which she did and not a stunt double. Major cajones! This is why DeMille called her "young fellow" - she's 20 in this film.

Beyond the Rocks, 1922 - melodrama. Notable mostly in that it's the only on film pairing of Swanson & Rudolph Valentino.

Teddy at the Throttle, 1917 - typical Keystone / Mack Sennet two-reeler.

Zaza, 1923 - plays a French chanteuse.
    The Love of Sunya, 1924 - romance. Both are OK.

Manhandled, 1924 & Stage Struck, 1925 - light romantic comedies. Her best silents IMO.

The Trespasser, 1929 - her first talkie. Brilliant performance. Shows off her singing chops too.

T

Nicolas21 likes this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Kiss Me Kate, 1953

It's a musical about a former husband and wife acting team putting on Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. As you'd expect, they eventually fall back in love by the time the movie is over.

I don't typically watch musicals, or movies much later than the early 40s. But, I made an exception for this one for three simple reasons.

1. Kathryn Grayson
    2. Kathryn Grayson as a blonde.
    3. Kathryn Grayson, as Kate in Shrew, getting a good spanking!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Music by Cole Porter, Choreography by Hermes Pan, Cinematography by Charles Rosher, yada yada - an all star lineup - and very nice work by Texas' own Ann Miller, including her jazzy rendition of Too Darn Hot.

Highly recommended...T

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #6862 TheMayor, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    One of my favs because it has one of my favs in it: Ann Miller. Imagine this in 1953! Guys eyes must have popped out. Ann must have been one of the reasons for the baby boom.

Its too darn hot! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One of the interesting things about this movie is the cameo of other silent film actors in it including Buster Keaton as they play bridge together. William Holden is also terrific.

tomc likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes, in addition to the bridge contingent, several minor bits by other Swanson silent film contemporaries - Gertrude Astor, Julia Faye, Creighton Hale, etc...T

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    She's great. Until I was reading the IMDB entry on this film recently, I did not know she was born in Texas. Growing up in NYC, I remember Ann Miller as a much more mature lady on Broadway (Sugar Babies w/ Mickey Rooney!); still had nice legs though. In Kiss Me Kate, she is a young hottie! Too Darn Hot is perfect for her. Her rendition of Tom, Dick & Harry is deliciously naughty. I didn't realize until recentlythat one of the dancers in that scene is a young Bob Fosse!

T

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The Eagle, 1925
    Rudolph Valentino at the height of his fame.
    Vilma Banky, super lovely. Alas, her heavy Hungarian did her in with the advent of talkies.

More or less, Zorro or Robin Hood with a Russian vibe.

If you've seen the video for Queen's Under Pressure, there's a clip from this picture in it.

T

17. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Today: Bienvenue chez les ch'tis

18. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Saw Dream Horse this weekend and all 4 of us thought it was a great, feel good movie. Based on a true story, about a small town in England, and a gal that decides she wants to go horse racing. Gets a lot of the little town involved in the funding.

Good for the whole family.

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Without remorse on Amazon Prime.

Tom Clancy story about John Kelly/Clark. It was pretty boring. Nothing new. Seen it all before. It did start well but then it's the same old path of the soldier being ****ed by some DC suit.

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Last night was a John Wayne double header: Donavan's Reef and Flying Tigers.

1Superleggera and tomc like this.
  21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Blade Runner 2049, several times lately as it is re-running in my neck of the woods.

Today is Ana's birthday & Raquel's death 6.10.21

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The Occupant (short film)

Appears to be loosely based on the Stanislav Petrov incident:

23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ice road trucker with liam neisen. current on netflix. silly but fun action thriller. good way to waste time on a hot summer night.

24. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Five minutes of heaven, a poignant film

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The Pleasure Garden, 1925
    Alfred Hitchcock's feature length directorial debut. You see small glimpses of the future genius on display here. It's a story about two show girls, one who falls for a cad. The other, looses her innocence in her drive for fame and wealth.

https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/The_Pleasure_Garden_(1925)

Some interesting behind the scenes info about the making of this and some of Hitch's earliest movies by the man himself.
    https://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/News_Chronicle_(1937)_-_Life_among_the_Stars

T