Last Man Standing About To Fall | FerrariChat

Last Man Standing About To Fall

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Irishman, Jul 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Today I ordered my first cell phone.

I remember first seeing slim personal flip phones during a business trip to Mexico City in 1987. For 30+ years I have lived without one. I thoroughly enjoyed being off the grid.

What happened? Corona-virus and COVID-19. Motorcycling is my main passion. I regularly ride my 30-year old Harley all over the state. And I drive a 42-year old Ferrari. I strive to maintain my vehicles to be in the best possible condition, but they are old and the possibility of a break down is real.

If I break down a long walk is no big deal but eventually I have to interact with someone at close quarters. Riding in the tow truck is no longer allowed.

The beginning of a new era : - ).

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Irishman

2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    :cool:

Similar, but somewhat opposite story here, I've had cell phone since 30+ years ago and/or before they started to be common only among drug dealers and lawyers, but still today, mine is a beat up old school flip-phone, which I didn't even know having a camera or picture display capabilities until several years after I bought it (had to replace one before that because the network compatibility had changed enough so it quit working)
    Very seldom receive or send texts.
    Never been to facebooks, tweeters or whatever they are.
    Got introduced (forced in ?) to PCs when a vintage car guy friend (retiree from IBM) bought me a laptop as birthday gift in 2006*. Still have it, but no longer in active use.
    Currently using some kind of Mac Pro and iPad mini (My 2nd. Wife dropped the 1st one on our honeymoon** in Yellowstone few years go)

* Joined here in 2007
    ** 2756 mile road trip in my '32 Plymouth Sport Roadster

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You'll love it! We got one for the mother in law when she was in her mid 90s. Mainly so we could track her when she was out and about. She was like "I don't need this contraption!" Once we programmed all her best friend's numbers in for one touch calling, she changed her tune. Old school flip phone. We bought a half dozen identical phones on Amazon, because she kept dropping and losing them, and we didn't want to have to teach her how to use a new phone!

T

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I currently don't have a cell phone. Previously had one through a job I had but switched jobs and turned it in. I have a landline with an answering machine. I'm pretty much stuck in the 80's (watching the original magnum p.i. as I type this)