Large size racing seats | FerrariChat

Large size racing seats

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Frank_C, Jun 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    I've also posted in the Porsche_list forum as well.

I just got a call from my guy who is tweaking my GT3RS. I am replacing the sofas with racing seats, but the Sabelt GT Pad seats I bought don't fit (though Sabelt guys said they would). Even though I am the main guy tracking it, my son will also be driving the RS (now with Grad school being in COVID limbo even more). The problem is he's 6'2 and 350 and I'm 5'10 and 200. The GT Pad's seemed to be the ideal solution as the padding can be swapped out and they are large seats, but they just won't fit in my RS. He does fit well in my 812's Large Daytona Racing seats. But the sides aren't nearly as high as the Sabelts.

Any suggestions as to good racing seats for him that would fit in the RS?

2. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I feel for you— I tried to switch to a Sparco XL seat where a cup seat was in the car.

the width of the seat rails dictated the seat. It has to have been done lots of RS’s.

I made a template out of cardboard and the holes for cup seat was 16” wide and my XL was 19” or 20”. I had to cut side of car away and fill it in. 1979 930

I understand why shop owners get 5-10 hrs labor.

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    6'2" no problem but the 350lbs is a problem. His width just probably will not work in any race seat.

I am 6'5" 235...38" waist..no a sports car build.... and just barely fit into my 2018 GT3 Light Weight Buckets...but I fit and could track drive and drive longer distance ok. I looked into various race seats too and the car will only accept certain seats due to the rail width in the tub the seat track has to fit into.

I fit just great into the race seats is 458 and 488 but to me those are not really "race" seats as they do not have the support not he sides to really hold you in place.

4. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Originally we decided on making me fit in larger seats, but since they won’t fit we’re gonna make an insert for him. When he got his SCCA comp license he did it in a Spec Ford where we put padding over the seat bolsters and he sat on the padding.

Looks like he’s stuck driving the 812 today at COTA....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Manda racing likes this.