lancia thema 8.32 | FerrariChat

lancia thema 8.32

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Martynas, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Thema 8.32 idle problems.Any suggestions:after trottle while idling the engine trottles 2-3 times by itself

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like you need some SD3 analysis by someone who knows what they are doing.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can you clarify your explanation? Do you mean, if you rev the engine and release the throttle, the RPM drops to idle but then increases again on its own to a higher RPM then drops again to idle a few times before settling at the proper idle RPM?

4. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Yes you are absolutely right.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Won't be able to give you much help as I'm not specifically familiar with Thema 8.32. While it does use the same KE3-Jet injection system as the later 328 and Mondial3.2, it has an additional component that the Ferrari models don't have -- an idle air valve (an electrically-controlled valve that fine tunes the amount of air entering the engine at idle). Based on your symptom, ensuring that it is operating properly, or not, would be a logical place to start IMO.

6. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Thank you. I think the same way. It is a first work on the list. I'll inform if it works.

7. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    The problem is solved by replacing an idle air valve (OEM 46127238).Thanks.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Glad that you got it sorted as we need all F engines running well -- especially those used in other marques, and thanks for the feedback. Complexity is both a blessing and a curse -- when it works, it's great, but it's just more stuff to go wrong ;).

Wade likes this.
  9. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Hello there,
    any thoughts about oil working temperature on Thema 8.32? The gauge shows hardly more than 40 celsius while driving normally.

10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Depends much on the ambient temperature. The sensor is in bottom of oil pan and is affected by cold air stream but 40C seems low. What does it show if you idle the engine temp up to 90C ? On mine the oil temp is 80c when water is 90C at idle - but will drop to approx. 60-70C when driving. You could check function of both sensor and instrument if you unplug the sensor lead and earth it directly - it should show max temp on instrument.

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Did a double check today and on my car oil temp is 75C when water temp is 80C. It was somewhat cold here this morning and water temp seldom rise higher than ca.80C in these conditions.

12. Andrew couper

Andrew couper Rookie

Jul 23, 2020
    Dorsey
    Full Name:
    Andrew couper
    Having difficulty starting when cold needing alote of cranking and when hot omg no chance so changed the fuel accumulator valve that has helped but still need alote cranking and idea would be appreciated also car in very low miles
    Andy

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This isn't such a good thing on a car equipped with Bosch CIS over a long time as there are a lot of very small mechanical clearances/fits in the injection system that don't tolerate fuel deposits/debris well.

With regard to the difficulty of hot restarting, you need to measure the fuel pressure after engine shutoff (if it drops to zero quickly that is a problem). In addition to the Accumulator, there are two other things on a KE3-Jet system that need to seal well at engine shutoff to maintain the residual fuel pressure:

1. the check valve at the fuel pump outlet, and

2. a seal inside the fuel pressure regulator.

If the fuel pressure is dropping quickly to zero at engine shutoff, then those are the main suspects IMO. At engine shutoff, the fuel pressure should be about 3.7 bar, and be greater than 3.2 bar after 20 minutes.

PS Shops that service older MB and/or older Volvo should be able to help you make this measurement (if you can't do it yourself) as those marques also use Bosch CIS injection systems.

Andrew couper likes this.
  14. Martynas

Martynas Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    After a few attempts to work out the low oil tempetature I just replaced the oil temp gauge and the problem was solved. The old one looked clean and pristine but it was bad.
    Talking about long cranking I have this problem too. I had spark plugs changed and it helped a very little. So I was going to change a fuel filter at first but I couldn't find it. The repair manual tells it is located in the rear side in the floor recessus so I removed carpets, back seat,fuel pump cover, looked underneath of the car- and nothing. My mechanic did so too. Could anybody tell me where a fuel filter and a fuel pressure accomulator is?
    It is nice to have a discussion obout this model.
    Thanks.
    Martynas

Harvardma likes this.
  15. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    It is in the trunk where your spare tire is. From underneath the car, remove a plastic cover and you'll find it.

Beside that, change the fuel hose inside your fueltank that is attached to your fuelpump. If it has never been replaced there is your problem, they get brittle and will sooner or later always start to leak. Only replace it with submersible hose, otherwise you will have to replace it next year again