lancia stratos | Page 16 | FerrariChat

lancia stratos

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Edward 96GTS, Dec 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  2. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    The article presents the officially listed lower HP and torque figures for the Stratos but most think that this was meant to simply appease Enzo who wasn't keen at all on supplying engines to Lancia. It was only after pressure from Fiat and Lancia threatening that they'd go with Maserati that Enzo agreed. The Stratos has a better induction system (replicated by some Dino owners) so if there are differences in engine output they are probably in Lancia's favor.

The Dino in the article looks spectacular. Such a beautiful color...

3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I installed an NOS Stratos induction system on my Dino. The bottom end all the way to cam profiles and heads are identical to the Stratos Stradale. The performance and drivability with the Stratos IDF’s vs the Dino’s DCNF’s is huge! The DCNF’s were a compromise. They were designed to be compact and mounted in a north-south motor orientation vs transverse. I solved this with the IDF’s and a special “lowered” airbox with a ram effect. Much improved throttle response and no fuel starvation with the Stratos setup. It transforms the Dino! Completely bolt in w/o any mods to the Dino! Fits under the stock decklid without any mods!

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

starmoto, hyenahf, NEP and 2 others like this.
  4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I had followed this in the Dino section. Really is a great set up. Will likely do the same thing at some point if I can find the carbs. The airbox will be a whole other challenge.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    There is a site that still shows a set of the carbs for sale if you are interested. I am told they are rebuilt but look like new in the pictures.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It’s also possible to use the new IDF’s. They have a different casting for the fuel intakes that makes the carbs sit a bit wider. Jon Gunderson has a non-factory Stratos intake that was cast in Italy that is surplus to his needs (see photos). He also has 3 new IDF’s for it. The intake manifold is a bit different than the OEM one that I have. The first part is finding the parts. The hard part of the airbox was experimenting and mocking up. I have no problem sharing what I’ve learned. If I could find a used stock airbox (even a rough one!), I want to see if I could subtly modify it to fit without raising the decklid.

Freeman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

starmoto and NEP like this.
  7. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    NEP likes this.
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sure please send.

9. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    very cool airbox... nicely done being period correct looking.

too bad there isnt much room for longer stacks since the drivetrain is so tall and the decklid is low. the whole intake track would benefit from being longer i reckon. im puzzle on how you are getting ram effect with your set up? not sure if you can get any significant pressure with carbs or with that airbox set up. nevertheless, love this mod you have done.

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Believe it or not but it runs better with the short stacks. I experimented with different lengths and profiles. The stock Stratos Stradale airbox is quite short and has no velocity stacks. It only has plates to smooth out the airflow. The Stratos Group 4 airbox is really large and allows really tall velocity stacks which is a different case altogether. I am fully satisfied by the overall power and drivability that we arrived at. The goal was no irreversible mods to the Dino.

Freeman

11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    oh i believe it, often times you have to experiment on running cars. the size/shape of the airbox in relationship to location of the stack openings at times determine the resonances of the whole intake system. there are so many factors contributing to the reflective waves and its amplitude. cool that you made it all work, but mostly impressed by period correct fabrication and the factory like appearance.

12. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #387 4CamGT, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Thank you. We did many mockups and Lots of road testing. The filter is stock Stratos/308 (I used a K&N cleanable element). You can see the custom mushroom shape air horn I designed and rapid prototyped. They worked and flowed well but I ended up liking the short velocity stacks better. They were a bit “snappier” in response.

Freeman

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP likes this.
  13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    brilliant job on the radius short stacks.

i always thought that would be a great set up too for the 308 since IDF/IDA manifolds and carbs are available. to increase the volume and filter area I thought you can build a spacer/retainer ring to you can stack a pair of filters on top of each other and space out top lid up. easier with the later model 308s over a dino since you can just modify the grill without sacrificing the a rare dino deck lid.

how did you do the filter plates? photo etch or screen printed? they look wonderful

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I designed them with my collegue on Catia then rapid prototyped them with our printer. I can’t remember what type. Here’s a couple more images of them. The screen strainer upset the airflow but thought we’d just try it! The mushroom alone worked well but I found some super short velocity stacks that worked better. My friend Simon Leach tried them on a flow bench and found they were extremely effective.

Freeman

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP and hyenahf like this.
  15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    tea strainers? :)

16. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Natkingcolebasket69, NEP and Mang like this.
  17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    ^John your car is just exceptional. The stance. The color. The 'euro' details. Just a stunner, one of my favorite cars on this site. Bravo!

Bluebottle likes this.
  18. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou, Mike. You are very kind.

19. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Beautiful! Euro version too! Amazing how much little details matter...

Bluebottle likes this.
  20. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
  21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thankyou, you are very kind.

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    An original works car, I believe.

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  24. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Yeah, I did see it in some Tour Auto videos on youtube. The owner was going for it! Good for him/her.