Lamborghini Marine | FerrariChat

Lamborghini Marine

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ducrob, Jan 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Maybe this has been covered already....has anybody ever piloted or had a ride in anything with Lamborghini Marine power? I remember many years ago reading about Don Johnson racing with these power plants. Ive seen pictures of them but cant remember...were they supercharged? I think they were just a huge bore/stroke combo. Have watched hydroplane live and the Merlins sounded sooo nice...I imagine a couple of lambos would sound intoxicating.

2. threepedal

threepedal Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 26, 2016
    By Apple's Spaceship
    Full Name:
    Mark Joey
    My experience with ANY engine used in a marine environment is "Cubic Inches is KING"

It's ALL about Torque since unlike a car, boats ALWAYS have a wetted surface...wetted surface equals constant friction/resistance.

The fewer moving parts is also an advantage...dual overhead cams/four valves per cylinder/ LONG timing chains are "No Bueno"

3. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    They were N/A engines. They are not produced anymore unfortunately. However, some are still being raced. They were great engines. They sound insane. It's a completely different "scream" than the roar of the V8's. I wish they'd start making them again. I remember in the 80's there were also people sticking Ferrari V12's in luxury boats, but unlike the Lambo engines, they were never raced. The Victory team and Spirit Of Norway used them, and Victory still do among others in UIM CLASS 1.

At 850 hp which is also the CLASS 1 limit, they are not exactly the most powerful engines you could stick in a boat, but man do they sound wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REMUiIplWFk

They'd be awesome in a 32 Skater.

4. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great link! Thanks. Just had a flashback to when I was a teenager and I saw the news/pictures of I believe Stephano Casiraghi (Princess Carolines husband) floating facedown near Monaco...dangerous sport. Seems to me that Don Johnsons starter wife Melanie Griffith made him give up the sport also. Truelly the sport of the Uber wealthy....very cool.

5. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    #5 dmaxx3500, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    mercury ran them for 2-3 years,[mid 80's],I heard they sold 48 eng's and bought back all but 4,they were lambo tractor eng's/not car engines
    maintenance pigs,and a BIG BLOCK CHEVY could stay with them,

but the lambos sounded so cool at full throttle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Didnt a few of these motors go into some Lm002's?

7. Couch

Couch Rookie

Nov 2, 2013
    What tractor ?

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    These ones are car engines:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/lamborghinichat-com-sponsored-cats-exotics/437812-voting-ferruccios-riva.html

Ferruccio Lamborghini?s twin V12 Riva motorboat restored - Car Body Design

9. Couch

Couch Rookie

Nov 2, 2013
    The 8.0 litre was an enlarged LM002 engine , the 8.2 litre was a new design by Ing. Alfieri just for offshore racing, up to 940hp with 6 speed gearbox .

10. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    the lm002 engs were 5 liter countach engines,even though they said they put the 7.0-8.0 liter offshore engines in,that eng is 1.5x larger then the car eng and is org out of the 7.0 liter lambo farm tractors

11. Couch

Couch Rookie

Nov 2, 2013
    #11 Couch, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Yes sure !, The 7.0 & 8.0 were scaled up Countach design for marine use , not stroked ! LM002 could have been ordered with 7.2 marine engine and called LM004 , 8.2 a new design just for marine use . Ferrucio sold the tractor business in 1971 and Same had to keep the brand name , I would go as far to say that no v12 made by Lamborghini ever had anything to do with a tractor !!!!!!!!!

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Air is also a fluid.;)

13. JLL

JLL Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Norcal
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #13 JLL, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    From memory...The Brooks boat(s) were campaigned for a couple of years....1994..maybe 95 as well. Competitive but don't recall a lot of wins. The sound was magnificent..only second to the exhaust system! Trying to remember if these were Spirit of Norway hulls in prior years?
    Tom Gentry rolled in the harbor that year...RIP Tom.

Video & sound of Brooks at 4:05 to 5:13...best sound about 5:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNPMyg9II0

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #15 Rifledriver, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Only a prototype LM004 was ever produced so it was not orderable. It was a very different truck. Lots of inaccurate reports of LM002 power plants but the 5 liter 4v carbed and 5 liter 4v injected was all that was ever made available.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never. Wouldn't physically fit even if you wanted it.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for a very cool thread!!

I am Norwegian and sell high performance boats in Europe (99% american boats). In the late 90-ies and 2000s I were (like now) a very passionate powerboat enthusiast and helped organizing the Class 1 race in Oslo Norway and withnessed the Class 1 race in Arendal (a small town in Southern Norway). It was FANTASTIC!! I miss the sound so much. Back then the **********ed boats had headers where all 6 cylinders per side went into one tail pipe. That sound was epoc. Later in 2005 or so, many boats changed to more modern 3 to one (a total of four tail pipes going straight up. It changed the sound but was still impressive.

There are several generations of Lambo V12 marine engines, but all were racing engines. The one in the picture above was inteded as a production boat engine, but Lamborghini only made one and that one is still in their museum! The last V12s were buold by Victory team in Dubai and had the name Victory V12. I know anput a set of three pairs of the last generation for sale. These are all overhauled and ready to drop in, but needs electronics and exhaust.... They are good for 1000 horse power. In UIM Class 1, all engines had to have a restrictor plate in the air inlet to comply woth the rules (in order to avoid "unlimited tuning"). Så hp ratings are somewhat fluid, but it is safe to say they had 950 hp in homologated spec.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik