Lamborghini crash and burn | FerrariChat

Lamborghini crash and burn

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gmaccormack, Apr 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Lamborghini engulfed in flames after crashing into guardrail | CTV News

A Lamborghini crashed and burned Friday evening in Toronto after reportedly slamming into a guardrail on a downtown street.
    The high-end sports car was engulfed in flames and thick black smoke after it was believed to have hit the guardrail on Lake Shore Boulevard, Toronto Police say.
    According to Const. Jenniferjit Sidju, the car’s occupants were all able to get out safely and no one was injured in the fire. She also said it is too early to know if any charges will be laid.
    PHOTOS
    Lamborghini flames
    A Lamborghini crashed into a guardrail, erupting in flames Friday evening in Toronto. (Koohyar Deylamsalehi/Twitter)
    There is no word on the driver’s age or gender. The road was closed until about 10 p.m. Friday

2. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    Are you related to Mike?

3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Another good reason to carry a fire extinguisher.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I carry 2.
    1 in the bonnet, and a small "fireade" one behind the seat.

One of my previous cars caught fire late at night on the Qew, so I'm extra cautious..

6. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Carbonio have a stick (tube) type fire extinguisher that's really light and is supposed to work better than the traditional type. Hopefully they can add some details on it.

7. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Yep - it's called "Element" Element - Advanced Fire Protection

I have three of them, one for each car. It leaves no residue and lasts a lot longer than a powder extinguisher (and powders leave a huge mess).

There are plenty of benefits to the Element extinguisher. I highly recommend it and it's an absolute must for a priceless vintage car.

8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Have you guys used it on a fire?

9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #9 Nuvolari, May 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mario and Myron thank you for bringing up our Element fire extinguishers. Developed and manufactured in Italy, Element is a hand-held adaptation of a technology that was developed for fighting fires on space capsules.

Instead of using a pressurized canister that expels a fire fighting gas or powder, Element is a solid that is discharged by activating a chemical reaction. This reaction emits a totally clean jet of gas that neither smothers nor robs the fire of oxygen. Instead the gas chemically interrupts the combustion process killing a fire on contact.

Compared to a 5 lbs fire bottle here are the advantages:

- Up to 100 second discharge time compared to about 9-11 seconds
    - Totally clean (leaves no residue)
    - About 80% smaller
    - Weighs about 1/2lb compared to about 7.5lbs (5 lbs + bottle weight)
    - Never expires or needs service
    - Produces no thrust during discharge. This is very important when fighting oil and grease fires as the jet from a traditional extinguisher will atomize the oil making an almighty fire
    - Does not rob oxygen and can be deployed in a small environment

Element is currently certified by the TUV in Europe as well as CE, RINA, ISO, and the UN and is used by many military and police forces worldwide in addition to being factory delivery on certain vehicles in Europe where a fire extinguisher is mandated by law. Currently certified for A,B,C,&K class fires.

So far the response has been tremendous and at the SEMA show in Las Vegas we won 10 industry and media awards (more than any other new product).

I have personally tested it on a number of different fires (oil, fuel, natural gas, wood, garbage, etc) and have been astounded by the performance. It is very easy and non-threatening to use like a traditional fire bottle. It also gives a lot of fire fighting time. I keep one in all of my cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    I see a lot of people mounting 5lb (and larger) fire extinguishers inside the cabin. They're usually the typical Canadian Tire red or sometimes chrome extinguishers.. somewhat on display, and heck - I've even seen people mount them on their A-pillars (one side loaded with gauges, one side has the extinguisher)..

In a crash, I would not want a 5lb extinguisher ripping off that cheap plastic bracket and becoming a projectile...

That's another thing I LOVE about the Element.. it's tiny and easy to mount - safely..

I've had to put out a fire on my X1/9 many years ago.. long story, ugh.. the powder went everywhere and made a massive mess that was very difficult to remove.

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Very good point , I never liked the look of those fire extinguishers in street cars. The extra drilling to secure one, the eye sore, and loss of foot well space. Never thought about the projectile part, as if getting into an accident in a exotic isn't bad enough, now thinking about that big unit becoming airborne and bouncing off of something.

Geez.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #12 Nuvolari, May 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I keep an Element in the door pocket of the 308 and Dino. It is in nobody's way and there is perfect access to it if you need to get out and fight a fire. Certainly having an extinguisher in the trunk is a lousy place because of the time it would take to get to it in addition to the risks associated with opening a trunk lid on a car like a 308 during a fire.

We have found even that an Element is small enough to fit in the glove box of a new 488 with the owners manual still in there. For those wanting a no drill seat mounting option we even engineered the following nifty mount that attaches to the seat rails.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. jqpd99

jqpd99 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2007
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    DFO
    Where is this listed for sale? I don't see the mount or the element extinguisher on the carbonio website?

I only see the extinguisher on the elementfire.com website

DF

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    At the moment we are finalizing some federal retail packaging requirement approvals so our distribution is limited to corporate buyer samples and beta testers. We have been working on this project for a little while now and both Myron and Mario were gracious enough to spread a little information so we decided to chime in to fill in some of the blanks. A more formalized announcement will be made (together with Element's F-Chat sponsorship) once we are ready to ship. This will include more complete sales information and the ability to purchase other mounting solutions including roll bar mounts, seat rail mounts, and even a cool carbon fiber mount. I don't mean to tease you guys with something we can't ship right away but rest assured in a few months you hopefully will start to see these pop up everywhere :)

15. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Bummer....... I just inquired about ordering several.