LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Exactly.

of2worlds likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Luca had said that there would be no 458 VS and then he gave us the Speciale. I believe they are just playing with us.

3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Not exactly the same topic,
    They are very cautious when they talk about emissions because this is a very sensitive debate right now which potentially could hurt their image badly.

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The revelation of their future plans is the exact same topic. Anyway, logic suggests that it will be a hybrid, like the LaFerrari.

5. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ... just wait a couple years. If you think Ferrari isn't working aggressively on high-performance all-electric car(s), you're living in the past.

Ferrari MUST be seen as living on the bleeding edge of performance. Now and in the future, that space is NOT consistent with normally-aspirated, high-cylinder count internal combustion engines.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    They don't believe that the future is fully electric, at least not the foreseeable future. If ICEs become illegal, then yes, they will produce electric cars, or maybe fuel cell powered ones. For now though electric cars are not good enough. If they only cared about CO2 they would have marketed one regardless (like Porsche), but they haven't. The ICE has a lot of life left in it.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I agree only this far: Ferrari, quite obviously, has not yet introduced an all-electric car.

The future of automotive performance is not to be found in tweaking a few more hp out of an internal combustion engine. The world knows it, and Ferrari knows it too. First and foremost, Ferrari needs to be seen as THE pinnacle supplier of performance cars. Electric is coming to Ferrari ... whether we like it or not. Next year? The following year? Who knows. But don't bet against it. Their next hyper car will have batteries (or super-capacitors) powering electric motor(s) (maybe still hybrid/kers). Guaranteed.

greg328 likes this.
  8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The only thing that has a high probability of happening is that the next hypercar will be hybrid of some sort. It is far from certain though that the future is pure electric. All major car companies though explore many technologies, not just pure electrics.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Their next hypercar will be a lightweight car with NA engine without any kind of electrification.
    I don't buy all the electric hype.
    Last year in France less than 2% of new cars were electric.
    Infrastructure are far from ready and people living in the countryside don't trust in electric at all.

of2worlds and red passion like this.
  10. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    You, personally, don't need to "buy the hype" ... and people living in the countryside in France are not Ferrari's target market.

Whatever the take-up rate of electric cars was in France last year, it will surely be higher next year. Electric motors (as part of drivetrain) are most certainly NOT a passing fad ... they are here to stay.

11. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Wait and see,
    And please don't be so rude with " normal " people .
    In a democracy they have their words to decide regulations
    Maybe we aren't in democracy anymore ?

12. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I'm not being rude at all! Ferrari doesn't market their cars to any political system ... they are as happy to sell in China, as in the US (for example). They market to people willing and able to pay ... and those people need to see Ferrari as leading-edge. This means (or certainly includes, with high priority) lower emissions, and that means electric motors ... either replacing, or enhancing, ICE.

Yes, we will wait and see. My bet: Ferrari will not abandon electric motors ... Ferrari will not claim that the future, the leading edge, of automotive performance is found in ICE alone. And they won't be very upset if some people living in the countryside in France, or the countryside in USA, refuse to buy.

13. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I remember there were some high up people within Ferrari that wanted a turbo charged V8 for the La Ferrari but at the end of the day Ferrari's internal politics dictate the final configuration. I love the V12 but I think it’s time we had a modern F40 (It was the worlds first true Supercar) Its time Ferrari Changed the game again.

14. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Respectfully disagree,
    Ferrari myth and NA V12 are closely linked.
    That's why the factory is plotting a brand new V12 generation.

F2003-GA, grab it, gowthamn and 3 others like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Such a car already existst, it's called "SF90 Stradale". The N/A V12 is one rung above that; it's the pinnacle of engine configurations.

F2003-GA and gowthamn like this.
  16. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I have no doubt a new V12 is well underway and that makes me very happy. Don't get me wrong I would love a light weight N/A V12 halo car. But the world is now forcing change. Also not forgetting there is a new man at the top of Ferrari. Do also remember the 288 GTO and F40 came under Enzo's final watch the future is very bright with the right open mind.

17. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Not talking about over weight hybrids. Just the same light weight twin turbo base block like they did with the 288 GTO & F40 Remember The 288 GTO and F40 started Ferrari's True Pinnacle line all under the eye of Enzo himself.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sadly forced on Ferrari rather than the opposite. Utterly pointless considering how little a Ferrari is driven in comparison, and they tend to be kept alive until the end of time rather than crushed after 15 years. But who are we to argue with logic eh?

Personally I'd prefer a slightly heavier V12 engined Hybrid than a twin turbo V8 with slightly less weight (and lets face it, for the hypercar Ferrari would hybrid anyways).

werewolf and jpalmito like this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    One could argue that the first really special Ferrari lightweight was the 250 GTO, but that's not the point. A turbocharged V8 is not much lighter than a N/A V12, if at all. The N/A V12 will always be the superior motor though!!! If one wants a non-hybrid V8, there is one; the Pista. Still, that engine is not special enough for a hypercar.

20. dido19888

dido19888 Rookie

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, everybody!!!!!!
    I read that FP article too and found the part about the new La ferrari interesting.
    The Aston Martin Valkyrie (designed by Adrian Newey) is not only powerful and light, but has extreme aerodynamics.
    It's a wolf in lamb's clothing. A two-seater Formula 1 car.
    I'd love to see a Ferrari hypercar with the construction ideas of AM Valkyrie.
    I've got a lot to say and write about, but I'm going to stop here, because that would be fantasies.
    We'll see in 2022...In any case, also because dreaming doesn't cost anything!

I'll put a Ferrari Valkyrie hypothesis down here...

Attached Files:

21. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    #96 maha, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    or like this
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    this is one of the finalist designs of Ferrari Top Design School Challenge 2015.

& this design could have been the laferrari.. not so traditional..so futuristic.
    next laferrari should look like this.. and this time i hope no black roof.. ( imitating glass canopy style). why not built a car with real glass canopy like the original 330p4 or recent p4/5. i see whenever designers design a ferrari concept most of the time they design above mentioned style designs.
    canopy roofs always be cool

Attached Files:

gowthamn and dido19888 like this.
  22. dido19888

dido19888 Rookie

Jan 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not a fan of electric cars.
    I don't think that electric cars are the solution to pollution (maybe hydrogen?...but I don't know), if they examine the production process of an electric car from construction to disposal/demolition.
    I am a nostalgic (I prefer a V12/V8/V6 NA engine) and I hope that electric is not the future of sports cars.
    However, I'm not stupid or blind. the market is moving towards this kind of mobility... so I pray/ hope only in a small hybridization of cars maybe changing the fuel (Synthetic fuels)

grab it and jpalmito like this.
  23. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    I hate this eco garbage trend. Electric motors just add a lot of weight.
    NA V12 is still the best thing out there.
    Ferrari should try to make a car that weighs around 1000 kg with a 1000 HP NA V12 in it, and with amazing aerodynamics like the Valkyrie.

Or maybe they could use a V10. I'm still wondering why they have never done that. They could have modified the engine that equipped the F2004 for road use.

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No need to do that when they can have a V12. The V10s were mandated by the F1 regulations.