Kreissieg Spiral Y-pipe for 2.7. Gimmick? | FerrariChat

Kreissieg Spiral Y-pipe for 2.7. Gimmick?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ShineKen, Dec 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #1 ShineKen, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kreissieg offers 2 Y-pipe replacements for the 2.7. One is of a traditional Y-pipe design for $900 and one is of a "spiral" Y-pipe design for $1500. A question for the experts... is the spiral design actually better for performance or sound or just a marketing gimmick?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I like the spiral one only because of the shorter collector. I can't see it making any difference if it were made with the same collector and -not- crossing over.

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ..... on the shorter merge ...... I would think the price delta would partially reflect the labor involved for each .... lastly if the crossover version is trying to create a 'swirl' effect ... the swirl would quickly be diminished by the butterfly .... so I would think a no on my swirl suspicion ... :eek:

4. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Wow, $$$$. My F355 y-pipes are about 50% of those prices. Still SS and TIG welded.

5. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Kreissieg is artwork when it comes to exhaust systems. The real question is, should you put a japanese exhaust on an Italian car?

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I don't see why not. After all, the factory put in Japanese alternators.

tres55 likes this.
  7. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Can the same be said for a german exhaust (Capristo)?

8. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I can't speak for Capristo. I do have a Kreissieg valved exhaust on my 348.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It kinda looks like the spiral has smaller pipes to begine with based on the relative size of the bypass.

Someone smarter than me can comment but I would think if this is the case the velocities would be greater and the power would be slightly improved.

10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Well let's see some pics of that bad boy

2NA likes this.
  11. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its on the top rack. Give me a day or so to get it down and I'll post a few.

12. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    Velocity is not a measure or indicator of improved flow. You want big pipes, sweeping bends resulting in low back pressure.

The twist is also a gimmick, but collector design is sensitive to flow, and without flowing the pipes I would be hesitant to comment. I have seen results that were un-expected from flow tests, but even if the merge of the twist pipe resulted in better scavenging, it would be highly unlikely be enough to justify the cost.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Not sure if we are talking similar but on my old superbikes no exhaust made less power on top end so from my experience you need some back pressure.

Maybe cars are differant.

This supprised me because of what you said above so i think there must be a limit on how large you go based on the engine

F456M likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The engine never wants backpressure. If too large it can lose velocity. Wrong length/design can hurt pulse scavenging. Optimized, there will still be no backpressure.

15. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    Exactly!

16. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Years ago, I put headers on a modern Z-28 and lost some low end torque. So, I developed the understanding that smaller pipes helped developed some back pressure to increase torque. Am I not understanding this issue correctly? Are you referring to HP and not torque?

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    On a side note, I personally wouldn't pay $900 or $1500 for either of these pipes. I know my fabricator can build me something very close for a fraction of those prices and in a better material. But since I will be getting one custom made, just curious if it would be worth the extra effort to try the spiral design.

18. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    That understanding is wrong, but could describe the effect on the engine as a system. If it was a carb'd Camaro (or L98/TPI injection) its possible the increased scavenging and decreased back-pressure caused it to be lean, that will cost you torque.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Back pressure never increases power anywhere in the rpm range. You are literally restricting the engine, inducing pumping loss and minimizing scavenging.

A properly designed/sized header will usually gain power across the entire rpm range.

For example (not exact numbers, just for discussion).

If you take a new Camaro and install headers 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 diameter with 28" long primaries and a nice collector, gains will pretty much be up everywhere.

If you then install headers with 2.125 diameter and 14" long primaries you will likely lose a ton of low end and midrange (and possibly peak hp) due to primary length being ideal for very high rpm (outside of the redline of the engine) and oversized tubes reducing velocity.

That doesn't mean the engine likes or needs backpressure as it would still be measured at near zero with the 1 3/4 headers. It means when properly sized you have found the ideal balance of optimizing velocity/scavenging without creating backpressure.

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #20 INTMD8, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Only if you like the look. I don't care for it personally.

I like using a short merge collector rather than the first photo of slicing/joining the tubes into a long collector. Forces the exhaust go into the bypass and -pull on the other bank rather than giving it an easy path to cross over to the other bank.

tres55 and ShineKen like this.
  21. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    Wow, very nice!

22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    +1. Beautiful as usual James. I believe James made his own Y-pipe if anyone is curious about the source :).

23. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Interested in selling a custom made Y pipe James?! Looks great, does it increase the exhaust note any on the bypass now?

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Are you really gonna put something non-Ferrari on YOUR car??

25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ditto. I'm Awaiting some special stuff from Jim - he knows what he is doing and is an excellent TIG welder to boot :)