Knee scope for arthritis article | FerrariChat

Knee scope for arthritis article

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by jrinehart, Mar 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    I am a physical therapist and see this numerous times. People with arthritis have a scope and then later have a total knee replacement. This article gives some insight. This is not about a simple meniscus tear, which surgery is beneficial, which another poster asked about.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa013259

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The article seems to indicate I'd be just as well off telling my knee to "get well soon".

3. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    It depends on the cause of your pain. If it is from mild degeneration and meniscus tears it may benefit from a scope, but if it is from severe arthritis it may not offer much benefit. By the way, I had a scope for meniscus tear on both knees and it helped for both knees. I have decreased medial joint space on both knees and will eventually need a total knee replacement on both knees. The next surgery will not be for debridement but for a total knee replacement after I try other avenues such as exercise, supplements or Synvisc injections. Remember, as I tell my patients, surgery changes everything so it will need to be a well thought action. A total knee replacement is major surgery and should not be taken lightly. They cut off the bottom end of your thigh and top of your shin, drill holes and put new implants in. See the pictures below. Patients wonder why they have pain after a total knee replacement. I tell my patients you will question whether it was the right decision during the first 3 weeks but after 6 weeks almost all of them feel it was the right decision.

http://genufix.com/total_knee_replacement_photos.htm

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I've had major injuries to both knees. An ACL/MCL with meniscal damage in 1996 and a Tib Plat Frac with cartilage and meniscal damage in 2009. Both are doing well, knock on wood. While my surgeons have told me to expect a certain amount of osteo arthritis at some point, everyone responds differently. And, frankly, I've just been told to keep the joints moving as much as possible with lower impact workouts. I still ski and play hockey, but I no longer run. Anyway, if and when I do develop any arthritis, both surgeons have told me that by that time, the treatments ought to be significantly better. This could mean more effective or less invasive or both. But, neither has even mentioned the specter of replacements. Not yet, anyway.

However, it's the price we pay for leading active lives. A girl I dated here had nine knee surgeries. But, she's in WAY better shape than I am (or ever will be, for that matter)!

CW

5. jrinehart

jrinehart Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2009
    Chambersburg, PA
    Full Name:
    John Rinehart
    A replacement is always the last resort. But when it is bone on bone, pain and there is a deformity then there is not much else. I hope I never need one.