Knee pain after 4 miles run - Feels like an air bubble! | FerrariChat

Knee pain after 4 miles run - Feels like an air bubble!

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by amenasce, Nov 16, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Anyone felt this type of pain before? My right new feels like there is an air bubble inside, especially when i stretch my leg flat. Been feeling it for a week now. The pain is not bad at all, it's there...i can walk, seat and sleep no problem but i tried to run again and after 1 mile, it became painful.

I have a Dr appt on monday.

2. kdumph

kdumph Karting

Sep 9, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kit
    possible ITB.....

3. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Have you been running for a while or did you just start? Your body could be getting used to the new loads...you will hurt. Take it easy and build up slowly. Sounds like you have an injury of some sort--let it heal for 3-4 weeks and then ease into the longer distances. You don't want to aggravate it if it becomes painful, but you could keep running half miles to strengthen it if it does not get painful in that distance?

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Possibilities include but are not limited to..torn meniscus, popliteal cyst, ITB syndrome, muscle strain, ligament sprain, joint edema not noted from the exterior or PFPS.

As you have noted, have it physically checked by the MD. Hopefully it is something simple that does not involve a significant internal derangement of the joint.

5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I was going to suggest popliteal cyst as well. Had one...and the air bubbles or grainy bubble wrap sensation was just like you describe!

PT 328 is of course the knowledgeable authority on all this.

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I went to the Dr this morning. Nothing found on Xrays. He couldnt locate the pain when he was examining my knee/leg. I am not sure i would call this a pain but a discomfort that could become a pain if i were to run again.

He said it was ITBS and asked if i could do 8 weeks therapy...

7. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I started running more seriously about 3 months ago (and by that i mean 3 miles only which is my tolerance at the moment). It was fine but then i bought a new pair of Nikes and this happened. Im not sure if it's the shoes or just the way i run.
    The weird thing is that most of the day, i only feel like a hot pocket or what i call an air bubble and only now and then will it hurt but still very tolerable.

Getting old sucks!

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, the Dr said ITBS and says it happens to a lot of runners and usually is very fixable. The Xrays didnt show any damages.
    I guess i need to switch to swimming to lose weight now.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Typically ITBS causes pain on the outside of the knee. Very common issue with runners.

Did you see an orthopod or a GP? Did they provide with stretches for the ITB? If not, it may be worth while to have a second opinion with an orthopod.

Not trying to burst your bubble but there may still be an internal derangement as x-rays are not definitive in fully eliminating knee disorder diagnoses. Hopefully it is just ITBS and some PT will resolve your issues.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Sounds like a meniscus tear...

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I saw an othopod. He didnt give me any stretches but i have a PT appointment next Tuesday. The funny thing is that when i wake up, my knee is fine. No pain/discomfort but as i start walking around/bending it/etc, the pain/discomfort comes back.

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I remember now what might have caused this. During the last 2 or 3 runs i did, i pushed myself a bit more than usual (I usually average 6.6mph and i remember pushing to 8.5/9 mph during a couple of minutes). Could that be an explanation?

13. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Does it ever lock up where you have difficulty fully extending or flexing the knee?

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Yes, your biomechanics get altered if that's not your natural cadence and you might have ended up running in a way that aggravates some inflammation.

15. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    I had ITBS this past summer and dont remember it feeling like a bubble but - definitely remember that it would only come on after a mile or two. after that, walking = ok, running = pain on outside of knee.

in my case I had taken a 6 month break from running and jumped back in on a beach run (read as "unequal surface"). frequently rolling it out on the big blue cylinder, a bunch of leg extensions in the gym, and easing back into running seemed to be the answer.

have since run a marathon (and all the training that goes with it) with no issues.

16. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No, that is the funny thing. I can walk, take the stairs..It's a little discomfort but i fear it can become worse if i go back to running.

17. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I am interested to hear the PT's assessment.

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I had my first session today. He confirmed it was my ITB. He said my hip area was weak so it was stressing the IPB which in turn was pulling the kneecap out of place (My right kneecap is being pulled towards the exterior/left which explains the air bubble feeling i have).

He is giving me exercises to strengthen my ITB but only after some tissue massages (today and next session).

19. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Good to hear there is a definitive diagnosis and a treatment plan in place.

Good luck with your recovery.

20. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Keep an eye on it and don't just trust them..
    I did therapy for a year and although the constant pain was gone, I still can not live a "normal" life. Everyone said it was the way I sleep, or walk, or need more therapy, etc. but nothing was getting better with my knee.

Finally I said to heck with you all and got an MRI. MRI showed torn meniscus. My operation to fix is December 14.

If it doesn't get better soon go for an MRI or 2nd opinion.

Good luck!

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Update:

I had therapy all the way through February. I was feeling a little stronger in my knee. Most of the exercise where :

Put a red band around both my ankles and take sideways steps.
    Squat with both legs together
    He massaged my knee and up to my waste with a foam roller (Surprising it hurt a lot everytime!)
    And another exercise where i lay on my back and push myself backwards using one leg at a time.

Forward to March and the pain is back. I didnt start running again, but i started biking (But nothing serious..10 miles/40mns). So i stopped all cardio exercise (Running, Elliptical, Bike..). The pain is similar and now my other knee hurts as well. I am afraid to do any exercise now.

The pain feels like my knee is made of one big wooden piece. Sometimes it feels like it's burning.

Is it possible that my other knee started to hurt due to my inactivity? I have to mention that i work from home, so running/biking etc were my sole exercise of the day.

I would love to hear some opinion before i go back to another Dr.

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Get MRI X-ray and ultrasound done.
    Take it from there

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, i made an apt on Tuesday with a Dr from the Illinois Joint and Bone Institute. Started writing down everything i feel.

I just got back from a swim and i do feel better. I think the cold water helps.

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dr found that my left leg is longer than the right by 6mm+. It was noticeable on the radio, my pelvis wasn't straight. He didn't really explain why this could cause the pain though.

I will do an MRI (If the insurance approves it...).

25. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    My left side was shorter than the right by about an inch and that was causing IT band pain. Xray show one hip was rotating inward.

Twice a week at the chiro for two months plus a bunch of exercises including swimming seems to have fixed things.