KLR 650? | FerrariChat

KLR 650?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Ak Jim, Dec 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Any opinions on the KLR 650? The local dealer has a new 2016 and has it for what I think is a reasonable price. I currently have a little Yamaha TW200 and would like to take a step up to a more capable bike. I have seen some of the accessories available for this model and am interested in a taller windshield to block some of the wind while riding. In all honestly I won't ride this a lot but will go on occasional rides so I'm not interested in spending big dollars for some of the more expensive bikes. If I lived in a place with a longer season I would consider this but for now I think the 650 will do what I want it to. Thanks.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Underpowered. But otherwise a great play bike.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    The KLR 650 was a bike you could take "'Round The World" and not worry about it breaking down. Well, even if it did there were many dealers globally that could keep you going. Probably more accessories and DIY "farkles" available than any dual sport ever made. Big gas tank too! It was a Swiss Army Knife for 3rd World Adventure. A poor man's GS without the obscene weight.

Now, coming from a TW200 (a cute cartoon of a bike) anything you throw a leg over will be initially daunting. You might consider something a bit smaller in the cc dept. than 650 I have owned a KTM 950, a TransAlp 600 and a DRZ400S. Smaller can be better, lighter and hence easier to pick up when you fall. We used to use Suzuki DRS200's for the MSF Classes. Capable but not a long distance ride. In any event, the first item I always replace is the seat. Most can be bricks.

My last RTW dual sport was this heavily modded DRZ400S... (note the tall windscreen)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ak Jim and Texas Forever like this.