Klippan Seatbelt Labels/Tags in Daytonas | FerrariChat

Klippan Seatbelt Labels/Tags in Daytonas

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gcalex, Oct 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So I think most folks are familiar with the "517 RP" labels/tags on the manual belts fitted to pre-1972 Daytonas. These belts have a (painful) "double looping" configuration on the lap/shoulder side, as pictured here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The labels for these are available as reproductions, and look like this (though I think these are missing a "border line" that should be running around all the lettering):
    Both US/NA and Euro cars look like they had this style of belt.

1972-and-later, the USA cars switched to 562 retracting belts that looked like:
    Labels on these looked like:
    Near as I can tell, the 562s were not used on Euros. Some later UK cars seem to have had a retracting belt similar to those found in the 365 Boxers, but not the 562s.

Most of 1972-and-later Euros had a manual belt that at first looks a lot like a 517 RP, but is actually tangibly different:
    Buckle looks to be the same, but "double loop" has been replaced with a separate adjustment feature, and the belt just slides through the tongue. Also note that the tongue has a little pair of "horns" on it.

Labels for these look like:

Now, in Europe, I think France was the first to require seatbelts in 1973, and given this, the "E2" (country code for France) makes sense, and it seems plausible that since there were no obvious regulatory needs for any labels at all, Euro Daytonas may also have had the "517 RP" labels on them.

(Note: all pictures above were lifted from previous FerrariChat threads.)

So my question is: Has anyone ever seen a "double loop" Klippan belt that had some other sort of label (not "517 RP") on it? If so, any chance I could get a picture?

BTW: If someone knows of a source of "517 RP" labels that have the black border-line, or a source of the 562 labels, I'd love a pointer.

Oh, and if someone has a set of the Euro 1392s or even just the tongues for those belts, please drop me a PM.

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Grant,

Interesting. Does the tech sheet apply to all markets, or just cars in the UK?

The 562s with those labels have a very different tongue than what is used by those receptacles, so it would be odd if that label paired with the receptacles.

— Alex

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #4 Wheels1, Oct 4, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Not sure to be honest, It applied to all Euro cars, Daytona and Dino and the 365 GT4/ 2+2 from the 1-1 1973. They were not retracting, although I think a lot were soon swapped out for retracting.

This is an extract Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Same belt in a Dino
    Sorry I posted the wrong tag this was the 73 tag on UK car's, been a hard day in the rain!

Attached Files:

5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow, ok, all Euros, that is interesting. I sure would love to see a pdf of that tech bulletin; please PM me, if you are ok with sharing...

You know, you are right, I'm not sure why I said those later belts were retracting, I'm well aware that they were not; no rain here, however, so I have no excuses... :)

That said, there is a Mercedes retracting belt with that same tongue, and one sees that used a lot (well at least as much as anything can be "a lot" in these cars).

Obviously what you show there is a UK tag.

My guess is that a different tag would have had to be used in at least France, since there were not regulatory requirements there.

If any one has a pic of the tag for that type of belt in a place other than the UK, that would be great to see added to this thread.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I may be wrong about euro cars, but the text is in Italian and English.