Kline Innovation Exhaust | FerrariChat

Kline Innovation Exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by Flea7, Jul 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #1 Flea7, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    A forum member Andrie posted a thread inquiring about the Kline system which incorporates a two part exhaust system. One, where the exhaust flows through a muffler like the stock system. The second, which lies beneath the muffler, is the X-pipe configuration that opens and closes with the stock exhaust valve system.

This setup really appealed to me due to the stock system catless was obnoxious even at low rpms. I did some research and found that there was very little video and sound clips were available. RichardCH had a couple of vids of the inconel system on his scud and it sounded great.....so I decided to give it a go and put in an order through James at Vividracing for the stainless system.

Placed an order on March 13th. I was told that the turnaround time was around 3 weeks. It took a lot longer and for this Felix at Kline included the inconel button at no charge, which I though was a generous gesture. Thank you Felix/James!

Received the order on May 17th. I rejected the order due to weld pattern marks on the muffler (see Pic) At this point, I was to the point where I was about to return everything and ask for a refund but James was very helpful and Felix was quick to accommodate me with the replacement. He sent the replacement at no cost and I received it June 15th.

The quality of the build was as nice as advertised The weld quality was very good and the finish was very nice. The only complaint was the inside of the tailpipe where the pipes met were not grinded/sanded down.....but maybe i'm being picky. At this point, it has been over 4 month of wait so I was just happy to have it. Now I was concerned about the accuracy of the fit. I would be installing this 2 piece unit myself.

That weekend it took me 4 hours to install.
    I have to say the fit was right on. It slid right in and bolted on with the pipes siting correctly at the opening of the bumper.

I didn't have a chance to take it out due to the weather but at that time but I can tell that on idle it sounded like stock ...maybe even quieter. (note...I'm running catless w/Fabspeed headers as well)

Well, its been 2 weeks since the installation and I'm more than happy with the system.
    The build quality is great. Nice sound at low rpm without being obnoxious and the V8 F1 sound I was hoping for. The video does not do it justice!...it is screaming loud.
    Also, the system weights about 1/2 of the stock system.

I like to thank James and Felix for everything. They were great to deal with. They were very professional and was very quick in answering all my questions and inquiries.

Sorry for the long read.....Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing!

Looks great and sounds great!!!

Dan

3. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Looks like a high quality set. Missed only some good drivebys in the video. And perhaps a tunnelblast =)

4. StickBreitling

StickBreitling Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2012
    Literally just collected mine from the depot. The tail pipes and s-pipe are all one piece and I had a lot of trouble fitting it into my car to carry home.

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks Dan!
    FYI, this Sunday is FCA concours de elegance in Renton. Hope to see you there!

I'll try to get a tunnelblast on I-90 !!! :)

LOL....yes, it's a long piece that requires you to remove your bumper cover for the installation.
    I hope Kline corrected the weld marks on the muffler moving forward with the F430's (you can see this on the 6th picture)
    Post some pics when you have the chance.

Happy 4th Everyone!!!!!! :)

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm currently here in Hawaii for a 10 day vacation with my wife, son, daughter in law and grandson. Back in Seattle Saturday afternoon and I plan to be at the Ferrari concours on Sunday.

I'd appreciate it if I can check out your nice car during the event

Dan

7. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Nice and clean looking exhaust!!! Hope it gives you a sweet sound!!!!

8. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Thank you for your review, feedback, and the photos/video. Also, thank you very much for your patience throughout the process. We greatly appreciate you bringing your business our way.

-James

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    James,
    The Kline is awesome! It was worth the wait! Thank you for a great deal along with the service you provided. You were alway so quick to get back to me......greatly appreciated!

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Absolutely! ...See you there!

11. StickBreitling

Oct 12, 2012
    I bought mine via Dan at Ramair in the UK.

Just picked it up today from the garage. My goodness. It's very civilised at idle. I pulled off the vacuum hoses and it was still civilised. There's less of the drone you get with the stock exhaust and aftermarket headers. The sound is much more higher pitched and sort of like a flat metallic sound. Definitely sounds like an F1 car. The higher the revs the crazier it gets. I'm considering popping on 200 cell cats now, as I do like my exhausts a little louder (or maybe my hearing is going). I now drive everywhere in 1st gear just so I can reach the higher rev range. At 24mph, the car was screaming it's head off. Brilliant!

It's a bumper off installation as the tailpipes is all one section.

I have to look into the exhaust valve controller a bit more as it doesn't seem to be working. Either the antenna is not picking up the switch signal or my garage didn't wire it up correctly.

12. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    I've always suspected this is probably one of the best setup. Since everyone love S-line sound and this Kline exhaust have best of both world. Loud F1 sound or quite civilized , whatever you choose. Can't wait to get mine.

13. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    WOW!!!! I still have another 3 weeks until I get mine as well. I'm now glad that I purchased the 200 cell cats from Felix. The time is moving to slowly...lol

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    seems like its the right exhaust as stated for the quite cruising and the loud F1 sound when you jump on it... wish I could here this set up side by side with a stock exhaust to hear the difference between the two to see if its worth the change

15. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    #15 kiryu, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Hi there so it sounds like you have aftermarket header, kline exhaust system but stock cat? do you get CELs? And you are thinking it's too quiet with this setup? I am debating whether to get the 200cell or not..Thanks

16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hey StickBreitling,
    My Inconel button was wired incorrectly. I reversed the ground wire and switched the red and black and that did the trick. Felix did send another unit out to replace the one I had but it had the same problem. I bet that's the issue with yours as well.

Andrie, Thanks for the heads up..... I gave you some credit for making Kline known to me. :)
    I was planning on the S-line but was worried about it being too loud all the time without a cat. I don't think you can lose with either of them.
    The two, IMHO, are the only ones that puts out the high pitched F1 pitch. Not all X-pipe configurations produces this.

The Kline system is really working out better than expected!

Let us know how the 200 cell works out. I did plan to do the same but I held off because it great the way it is now.

For me when I ran stock system without the cats.....It was too harsh and too loud. Although I enjoyed it for some spirited driving, the drive through downtown Seattle was kinda embarrassing.
    The tone and pitch of the Kline is much better. You don't lose the aggression at all when the valves are open!

17. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Thanks for taking the plunge and confirming!

18. StickBreitling

Oct 12, 2012
    Thanks Flea7. Is your remote unit positioned at the back of the engine or nearer the front. Wondering if there's any range issues for the switch

I'm running Agency power headers and stock cats. No CELs so far.

IPE was another company I considered

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I originally placed it in the back but found that it may be effected by the heat due to it being behind the muffler.
    I decided that the right hand side behind the panel was a good place to attach it. I had to extended one of the wires (the connector to the left hand solenoid) so it could reach. Used a heavy duty velcro to attach it to the underside of the panel.

Did reversing the wires work?
    hope this helps.

20. StickBreitling

Oct 12, 2012
    Flea7 you are a genius! I snipped the wire to the ECU and reversed the polarity. The switch sprung into life and started working. I can only think that Ferrari valves are set up the opposite way round.

My controller was placed at the very rear of the car and after a bit of driving, I found that the valves would intermittently flick close. This gets annoying as you can hear the flaps and the exhaust note flicking on and off. As you say, it appears to be affected by the exhaust heat. I'll look at relocating behind the plastic panel. Did you place yours behind the smaller rearwards or larger frontside panel?

The stock exhaust is louder both when valves are opened or shut. The Kline removes a lot of the booming and low end bass you get with the stock exhaust and aftermarket headers, but in doing so quietens down the set up slightly (hence the requirement for 200 cell cats). At 2500-3000rpm the stock exhaust would just be a big resonant boom. You no longer get this and instead, it's a pleasant metallic F1 cruising hum. The stock exhaust is just raw uncontrolled noise.

The Kline sound its best when it hits around the 5000+rpm level when it lets out that big F1 scream.

With the valves shut, it is extremely civilised in stop/start traffic.

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    SB,
    I had to extend the wire that was connected to the left solenoid by adding about 3ft. so the controller could reach the inside of the larger right hand panel. That way the antenna is closer and then panel can block some of the heat. I used heavy velcro to attached it to the panel but I think i will remove it so it doesn't have the heat transfer from it.
    I still think it still gets pretty hot so I am planning on covering it with some small heat cover that I use for TIG welding called TIG finger.

As far as you description of the exhaust, ....It's right on. Great description .....now post some pics! :)

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Nice meeting you today Skim!

Your car looks super sharp!
    Thanks for all the great info you shared with me today.

And after hearing the Kline exhaust on your car - I am completely sold.
    Most likely once I get my F430 I will be contacting James at Vivid Racing to order mine.

Folks, I heard the Kline exhaust in person. It is very quiet at idle, revving it produces an awesome Formula 1 engine sound. Amazing design!
    This is exactly what I am after as I live in a quiet neighborhood and I don't want my neighbors hating me for waking them up in the early mornings whenever I go out for a drive.

Thanks very much for all this great info you are sharing with us.
    Including the remote valve controller wire polarity issue.
    Sincerely appreciated.

Dan

23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #23 Flea7, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Dan,
    Nice to meet you as well...although a short one..LOL

Great event today! The weather was great and over 100 Ferraris !

I got -2 point deducted for the Kline exhaust and -1 point for the carbon intakes for 97/100 point in the judging. Platino award.
    I should have classified in the modified and I may have placed. It was my first time event I had a lot of fun!

I couldn't help myself revving it up on exit...to my defense, people were asking me to :)

24. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    fwiw if anyone wants a Kline Inconel Exhaust Valve control Button set (with electrics) I have one for $180 shipped, new unused

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I think everyone loved the sound of your exhaust, so thank you for revving it!

Dan