Kline 458 Spider Exhaust has Arrived! | FerrariChat

Kline 458 Spider Exhaust has Arrived!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Raridreams, Apr 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    After lots of homework I settled on the Kline Innovation system. After listening to MANY exhausts online and in person I felt the Kline is hard to beat in the sound and tone department. IMO its also one of the best exhausts for value as well.

I settled on the SS catback + test pipes + carbon tips. Shout out to James @VividRacing for hooking it up!

From order to arrival it took about 9 weeks. Not terrible considering we are in the middle of this pandemic. It came incredibly well wrapped and protected. Zero damage. The rear unit weighs 25.6 lbs for those interested. The unit is quality - solid welds and finishing. Can't wait to hear this engine sing!!!

Enjoy the pics. System is currently at installer. Video clips coming soon!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sure looks good! Good luck with the installation. Are you doing it yourself?

3. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    I normally would, I'm pretty proficient in these sorts of things but it looks waaaay too tight in there for my patience levels. Leaving this one to the professionals!

4. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Send Sounds Soon!

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Prob a good idea.... Can't wait to see and hear it.

6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I also have the Kline SS with 100cspi cat for a 458 Spider, just haven’t had time to install it with all that’s going on. When some of this has blown over and I get it in, I’ll post a video of the sound. I assume you got the Capristo device to squelch the ECU code?

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Heard one in person last weekend on a drive. It was truly AMAZING!

8. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Currently installing the full Kline Inconel with 200 cell cats, no one local who will install the system - dealer refuses to do anything not stock. Removing the stock exhaust required cutting part of the stock exhaust to get 1/4" inch clearance to remove the center. After, with ALOT of twisting, was able to remove the mufflers. Stock cats were relatively easy and the installation should be straightforward since the Kline pieces are narrower. Removing the stock headers resulted in removal of 3 studs thus far, awaiting for some parts before I perform the left. Would ask the shop to replace the accessory belt as it has approximately a 5 year life irrespective of mileage because of the high engine bay temps and it is easy to replace once they are in the bay since they will have already removed the panels.

9. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    This will sound legit!

10. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    OMG! I just drove the car home from the installer....HOT DAMN! What a difference this sound makes! Downshifts are gunfire and that wail on the top end is simply euphoric. I was actually laughing most of the drive home LOL. Listening to sound clips do not do this exhaust justice. So far my only regret is not doing it from Day 1! Going to enjoy it for a few more drives then take some videos for you guys.

Here is sneak peak of the Kline carbon tips - they look fantastic!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I was behind your car and the sound was legit! It backfired, burbled, and screamed. Pure symphony!

12. Raridreams

Raridreams Rookie

Nov 14, 2019
    Curious why they had to cut the stock exhaust to get it out. Was it their first time doing a 458 exhaust? The shop I used (HG Motorsports in San Diego) had no issues getting the stock exhaust out and definitely did not have to cut anything. They have also done dozens of 458 exhausts so they probably know the tricks to get it out with minimal fuss.

13. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    They is me and first time of Ferrari. Honestly, since I am not keeping the stock, I should have just cut the whole thing and saved hours. The muffler is 3 pieces, the center piece would not slide over far enough to slip it off, approximately 1/4 inch. I cut off 1/4 inch from the side muffler to get it off. If you assemble it, there is no difference since the overlap is almost 1.5 inches on both sides. Replacing studs today and putting on the rear muffler. Waiting for the accessory belt and then will finish the left side. Right side to be finished tomorrow. Too many projects going simultaneously since I am stuck at home.

14. Msoldani

Msoldani Rookie

Feb 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    mike soldani

Omar and the boys at HG certainly know what they are doing! They put my 458 system in a few weeks ago. Cheers and enjoy the new setup from a fellow 458 in SD

Raridreams likes this.
  15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Do you have some kind of valve control or it’s always super loud? And those changes to the exhaust are legal? Won’t you have problems with the inspection?

16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Is this the exhaust with the highest pitch sound?

17. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

I'm glad you like it. I have the same Kline exhaust, except with Kline exhaust manifolds added, and love it! Ever thought about adding the Kline exhaust manifolds?

Boston George likes this.
  18. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Finished up, Kline Inconel headers, Inconel 100 cell cat with a spacer for O2 sensor and Inconel exhaust. No check engine. Sounds GREAT. Resonance of the Inconel is much higher pitched. Excellent construction. Much easier to install than remove the stock system and so much lighter

19. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Inconel vs stainless , there’s an audible difference?

20. Jorligan

Jorligan Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    Dexter, MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Haven't heard the stainless Kline, Have heard Inconel on Porsche and same exhaust in stainless. The Inconel is higher pitched and has more of the scream like an F1 car. F1 cars use Inconel because it is lighter than stainless and stronger at temperature so they can use thinner tubing thereby saving more weight and maintaining strength. Because it is thinner guage, it will have a higher resonance frequency giving the higher pitch. Titanium is around the same weight as Inconel but is less heat tolerant and definitely has a different tone as compared to stainless steel.

21. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    This has been discussed before. I have not heard Inconel vs stainless side by side, but some claim Inconel has a higher pitch and I won't challenge that statement, but with as much sound volume coming out of the exhaust pipes, I find it hard to believe thinner wall material can be heard.

Here is video of my 458 that has the F1 scream. 458 Italia with Kline Innovation, stainless steel, Valvetronic exhaust system with decat/test pipes, and headers.

22. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    thanks for sharing

23. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Interesting. I do think my inconel setup sounds slightly different, has another level of high pitch f1 sound that others don’t. Will try to do some in person tests.

24. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    #24 Agostinho, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020

I didn't put the factory 458 exhaust on a scale to weigh it, but the factory exhaust manifolds and overall exhaust is WAY heavier than the Kline exhaust. Even though I was impressed with the factory exhaust manifolds/headers, the Kline exhaust manifold/headers are a step above and so much lighter just in themselves. The Inconnel is even lighter, but much more expensive.

Again, as far as the F1 scream/pitch is concerned, my Kline stainless steel, Valvetronic exhaust system with decat/test pipes, and headers, has ithe F1 scream and is really loud with the valves open. The thinner Inconnel walls (how much thinner, a milliliter?) may ring more or maybe let you to hear the pitch slightly more, but my stainless version is so loud it's hard to believe the stainless vs Inconnel difference could be heard unless side-by-side.

I'm not sure the extra money and effort spent on the Kline exhaust manifolds/headers had anything to do with improving the F1 sound, especially when considering the high quality of the factory exhaust manifolds, and they're a lot of extra work installing, but I didn't want to have any regrets.

25. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Debating on an Inconel Kline exhaust for the Pista. I hear the pitch is higher (which it needs) , but it's never going to sound as good as the 458. I miss that car.