Kinesio Tape? | FerrariChat

Kinesio Tape?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cessnav8or, Aug 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #1 cessnav8or, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    Kinesio Tape seems to be pretty popular with the Beach Volleyball Players in the Olympics. Especially Walsh on the Women's Team She pretty much has had her entire right shoulder taped up. I have tried reading a little about this stuff but still don't really understand how it helps. Anybody here used the stuff and does it really help much? Better yet any Doctors here that can explain it's benifits?

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I'm big into beach Vball and I've been watching as much of it in the Olympics as I can. (I have a Sinjin Smith signed Vball in my office) But, this tape thing sounds like a marketing deal was struck. Do you notice how many of them are wearing Oakleys? That's not a coincidence.....

Though, maybe I'm wrong and this is wonder tape.

3. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I am thinking the same thing. I used to keep up with AVP too as well as played quite a bit in college. It just seems like all of a sudden this tape is on every player. Funny thing is some have a strip on their back others around joints. Like I said other than today Walsh had just about her entire right shoulder taped up.

I have several signed balls from back in the day by both olympic and AVP stars. I would have to get the balls out to see the signatures one ball has a lot on it. I still have a photo framed that was signed by Steve Timmons. Meet him here in Louisville. He was a pretty nice guy.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    It aids in joint stability. Overhead sports and sometimes genetics can lead to shoulder joint instability. There are only 2 things that keep joints stable, ligaments and the muscles surrounding the joints. If the ligaments have moderate to severe laxity the only thing you can do to increase the joints stability is strengthen the muscles around it or brace / tape it. Some athletes tape out of superstition or placebo effect.

FYI- There is no such thing as "double jointed" it is hyperflexibility secondary to ligament laxity. I hope that answers your question

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And Tiger Woods really drives a Buick... ;)

_J

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Great... Sinjin was my fav.. player. He's pres. of the FIVB World Beach Volleyball Council. Do you still play? I'm playing 4's and 6's as my dbles game is a bit weak right now.

7. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #7 cessnav8or, Aug 18, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
    No I gotten to damn fat now. I keep saying I am going to get back in shape but easier said than done. I used to be a pretty good setter and played 2 or 3 hours a day in college. When it was warm outside I was at the sand courts and when there was rain or to cold we would go bug the VB PE teacher and "help" teach the PE classes. Man I miss them days.

I still remember Sijin being in that movie back in the late 80s early 90s called "Sideout" I must have watched that dumb movie a hundred times.

8. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    From what the tv guys said, Walsh has had some shoulder surgery, and the tape helps support her shoulder, so she can play with less pain. As for the other player I have no clue why they wear the tape.

I love both kinds of volleyball and am a big fan of Timmons and Craig Buck. Have been to a few pro beach volleyball matches and it is a real fun time.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Dumb movie, how dare you...............lol

My '72 Bronco tag is SIDEOUT

Weight isn't my problem........ I weight the same as I did in HS & college......It's my flexibility...... damn I have to stretch everyday just to be inflexible.

10. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    The Kinesio web site makes it sound like there is a science to taping. There are pics of people on the site with weird taping stripes.