Keep this girl in your prayers, please. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Keep this girl in your prayers, please.

Discussion in 'Texas' started by BlackBird007, Jun 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Great news on the trip! We will keep her in our prayers.

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just saw the post today and just to mention she and her family are in my prayers. I certainly understand the trauma and the setbacks being a Doc ,but also being the patient as was hit by a car, lost my leg , died a number of times and was in ICU with infection etc 3mo. I understand how important friends, family and support is to recovery. Acceptance is a difficult task. Many issues! Many steps! Extend out compassionate feelings.

Docf

3. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you guys.

Well, I assumed she would have went to White Rock Lake, which is just a few miles from Baylor. Man, was I wrong...she ended up trekking halfway across the metromess to Lake Grapevine. I think she got to do some outdoor stuff (after all, Jaci is an outdoor type of person) with Rise Adventures. Rise is a non-prof organization that allows people like Jaci to participate in outdoor activities. Though, I don't know for sure if she did anything. I think they just went to get familiar with Rise, like meet people, ask questions, etc. She has every intention of participating, she just needs time to get familiar and get a bit stronger.

Aside from that, she had a great weekend overall. Yesterday went great. Jaci was in a great mood, and didn't appear to be in any pain. She was laughing and smiling. Her appetite was great, and she can feed herself when she wants to. Even better news, she has been cleared of any infections! She may be going back out there this weekend. Also, she has started to crave Hibachi, a sushi place here in Burleson. She will be making a trip down here before making the long trek back to Dallas.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's really awesome Kevin. Maybe they csn get her on a zip line. :)

5. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hopefully Jason. But the most important part is that she will be having fun doing anything outdoor! :)

6. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Today, Jaci got some great news. First, she no longer has to wear the C-collar! Second, she gets to leave July 28th, BUT for 2 weeks after that she has to come back to do therapy. They are working on something so she won't have to make the long trek to and from Dallas each day. For those who don't know, Joshua is about an hour and a half away from downtown Dallas. It takes me just about that time to go to Cars and Coffee when I go, so I know how that is.

Tomorrow, she will be heading down to Burleson to eat at her favorite sushi place, Hibachi. I bet she's very excited! :)

7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great news, best wishes to all!

8. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    +1000!

9. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks guys. I'll probably be going to see her tomorrow. She hasn't seen this thread, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the replies all of you have made!

10. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jaci had an outing today. But it was to Harris in Fort Worth. Dr. Lee, the doctor who performed the surgery on her, wanted to see her for a checkup. He was impressed with how fast she has improved, and has released her from his care. He also said the nurses kept asking about her. So Jaci also went to ICU to visit with some of the nurses who cared for her during her stay in ICU. The nurses shared Dr. Lee's thoughts about her progress. Overall, it was a great afternoon for her. She fell asleep on the long trip back to Dallas.

She is also looking forward to Thursday, which is when she will get out.

11. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #111 BlackBird007, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This picture is her MRI the night of the accident. It's a side view, and she is facing left. C6 and C7 break in the vertebrae, and C5 spinal cord injury.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well, today went pretty good.

I called her dad, and he said her therapy ended usually at 3. Got there a few minutes after 3, asked the front desk, and had a nurse take me to her room. She wasn't in there, so we went to the nurses station and asked. She had an extra session today that ended at 4. I had about 45 minutes to kill, so I decided to pay my first visit to Aston Martin of Dallas and snap some pictures. Nice people there. They were even nice enough to give me a model range booklet.

I then headed back to Baylor. I had a few minutes to kill so I went to a nearby Jack in the Box and had a quick meal. I walked into her room; Jaci still wasn't there, but her mom was there along with another visitor. Her mom said she would be back around 4:30. Until then, I chilled in there, talking to her mom and looking at the booklet I got at AMoD. A few minutes before Jaci came in, her dad and younger sister walked in. Then, Jaci came in.

She looked tired from her therapy, but she had a smile on her face when she came back and had visitors. We talked about a few different things, like her therapy, future outings, my visit to AMoD, and the Rangers 20 run game last night. It was a good 20 minutes that I spent with her. It's great that she's doing this well, and is keeping her spirits up.

13. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good to hear Kevin.

That MRI is really scary.

14. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indeed Jason. She was smiling when she saw me and her younger sister in the room, waiting for her. Seeing her smile made me feel great!

And I agree, the MRI is just...wow. When I first saw it, I was speechless. It's still hard to look at it. The doctors said that it's a miracle she survived something like this.

15. F430GB

F430GB F1 Veteran

May 5, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Gil Folk
    My gosh that is scary. Very lucky to be alive. Glad to hear she's making progress. I hope her and her family maintain their high spirits.

-G.B.

16. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you. Her doctors and therapists have awed at her incredible progress and determination. I praise her and her family for staying so positive about this. Right now, the community is doing just about everything they can to help them out.

17. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well...tomorrow is the big day for Jaci. She will finally be leaving Baylor. She will be coming to Joshua for the weekend, where she will be staying in a house that her parents have rented that is accessible for Jaci. On Monday, she will be returning to Dallas for 2 more weeks to do outpatient therapy (she will stay at the Ronald McDonald House near Love Field for those 2 weeks to avoid the long drive to and from Dallas each day). After that, she will be back in Joshua for good.

It's been a pretty touching summer for me, and everyone else close to her. The Friday night before the accident, I spent time with Jaci and a few of our friends at a party, talking about our lives and the Mavericks getting ready for game 3 of the NBA Finals against the Heat here in Dallas. The next morning at Cars and Coffee, I saw one of the cars I had been wanting to see for a long time...an SLR McLaren. Two of them in fact. When I got home that evening, I thought my summer was going to be great. Little did I know what was going to happen on Monday night.

On that Tuesday morning, I woke up and did my usual routine of getting on the computer and checking Facebook and other websites. Facebook is where I found this out. I was a bit shocked and I didn't know what all had happened, but I found out that Jaci and her friend Tanner had been in a serious car wreck. I immediately started praying that Jaci would make it through her surgery. Things weren't looking good at this point.

That Thursday was my first day to go to Harris in Fort Worth to try and see her. I was greeted by her mom and about 10 or so of Jaci's friends in the Trauma ICU waiting room. I walked into a room to drop off her gifts...the tables were flooded with gifts for her. I stayed there for about 4 hours. I left early so I could watch the pivotal game 5 of the NBA Finals.

Saturday, I was up there again. This time, I was greeted by Tanner, his mom, a few of his baseball teammates, and one of Jaci's friends that was bringing lunch up there for everybody. I got to spend some time talking to Tanner, getting to know exactly how it happened, and talking about how strong and determined Jaci is. We also talked about Jaci's rehab. Jaci was slowly improving. Friends came and went throughout the day. The next day, we heard great news. She would be leaving ICU and moving into a regular room. I helped move her gifts to her new room. I got to see her for the first time that day. She had a smile on her face when me and 4 other people walked in to see her. She looked comfy in her bed, with her arms on two big teddy bears. We talked about the Rangers doing what they did tonight (losing to the Twins), and game 6 of the Finals. As soon as I got in my car, I cried tears of joy. She had made so much progress within a week of the accident. But, the long road wasn't over yet.

Thursday, the Mavericks were marching through Dallas with an NBA championship. Jaci was marching through the metroplex on her way to Our Children's House at Baylor, where she would do her rehab for the next 6 or so weeks. Her transport was delayed a few days due to a bacteria infection in her blood and fever. She faced many challenges, but she overcame almost each and every one of them, which has gotten her to this point right now.

Jaci is a medical miracle. A few weeks ago, she told Tanner's mom that she got to see her MRI (posted above) for the first time. She said when she saw the break, she should not be with us, but God has big BIG plans for her. I know Jaci can see and feel how her life has changed, but she has no idea that she has touched so many people, from the staff at Harris and Our Children's House, to her friends and family, and to many, many other people who know about her.

There is a girl staying in the same hall as Jaci. Her name is Abby, who was also involved in a serious car accident and is paralyzed from the waist down. Abby turns 10 next week. Her first outing was today, and she chose Northpark Mall. Abby was a little anxious, so Jaci decided to go with her and support her. Jaci is such an inspiration, and she is so caring!

On Monday when she visited Dr. Lee, he told her to keep "talking to her fingers". He said her nerves can regenerate. If she will talk to them and work them, her brain will work her hands and hopefully, she will regain the use of her fingers. All of us keep praying that she will accomplish this, and then we pray she will slowly work down her body to regain usage, until a miracle has occured, and she has overcame the 2% chance of ever walking again.

I want to thank each and every one of you who read/posted in this thread. Even though I didn't get to show her this yesterday, she will see it at some point, and surely she will appreciate the replies you all have made. I will try to keep updates coming along as well.

If there is one thing I have learned through this, it is this...miracles can happen with prayer.

18. lil squid

lil squid F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2007
    Houston TX
    Full Name:
    Yuliya
    She is a miracle and her strength is an inspiration to us all. She is in my thoughts. We are here to help if there is ever anything she wants or needs.

19. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thank you. If anything pops up where we need help, I'll let you know. :)

20. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jaci's outpatient therapy has been going smoothly with almost no bumps. Her mom has moved into a new house last week and a bunch of people are helping make it accessible for Jaci.

She got to go to the Rangers game last night. One of the commentators mentioned it was 106 degrees at first pitch, so I thought about her the whole game. We are also having a welcome home party for her next Saturday.

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Great to hear Kevin. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Rob or a mod, could we make this thread a sticky?

22. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jaci officially finished her rehab at Baylor, and is now back in Joshua for good. She got home at around 2 today, and is very happy to be home. However, she isn't finished with rehab altogether. She will continue her rehab a few days each week at Huguley Hospital down here in Burleson.

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Great news. Always best to be at home for the spirit.

24. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Indeed.

DFW guys, she will be on NBC 5 news at 6. This time, she was interviewed. And I have a feeling TXA21 could be at her party tonight because a van with their livery followed me all the way through Burleson and Joshua and turned to go towards the football stadium here in Joshua, which is where the party will be.

For those who don't live in DFW, I'll post a link so you can see the story.

25. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #125 BlackBird007, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Saturday was a busy day for Jaci. First off, NBC 5 came and interviewed her for a story. She then spent the afternoon chilling with her family, some of which came from New Mexico. Then, her welcome home party was held from 6-11 that evening. CBS 11 was also there covering it. It was a great time. Jaci and Tanner recieved a few gifts, such as quilts. Several thousand dollars were raised, but I don't know the final exact count. Jaci was happy to see everybody. The whole day was a bit exhausting for her. She relaxed all day Sunday.

Today, she got to eat at her favorite wing place, Buffalo. Then she got to go to Hulen Mall (which now has concrete floor instead of the usual tile - I hate it) and shop at her favorite stores.

Like the rest of us, she is getting ready for school next Monday. She will continue her therapy 2-3 days a week, and the last I heard Huguley was decided but now I've heard her parents are still looking.

Here's a link to her story from NBC 5. It's very emotional.
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Joshua-Teen-Fights-To-Walk-Again.html

Attached is a picture of me with her from Saturday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login