Keep the F8 When the SF90 Spider Arrives?? | FerrariChat

Keep the F8 When the SF90 Spider Arrives??

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Glenn Quagmire, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    Interested in thoughts/opinions on whether others would keep their F8 Tributo when their SF90 Spider arrives? I ask, because I’m currently contemplating this. The F8 has been superb and there’s something sentimental about it being my first mid-engine Ferrari. But, with other cars as well, I’m trying to figure out how much it will get driven...and if the sentimental connection and the fact it’s the last completely ICE mid-engine car from Ferrari are enough to justify hanging on to it?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The F8 will be useful for your pit crew to drive your helmet & overalls to track days since the SF90 probably does not have the space !

ScottS and MalibuGuy like this.
  3. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    Glenn, I am in the exact opposite situation - I have the F8 Spider and an order in on the SF90 coupe (but could change!). Almost everyone on the forum seems convinced that the F8 is the last in the line of standalone mid-engine V8s and there isn't a VS likely. In my mind the 458 is the ultimate expression of the platform and the 458 Speciale Aperta is the collector's car to have from the line and has held its value well. Based on how the series 458 coupes have trended I don't think the F8 Tributo will hold its value with time - barring a Speciale Aperta version being released and you having the opportunity to trade for that. So my humble opinion is don't hold it once the SF90 Spider arrives. You will have a chance to buy an F8 back much cheaper after you have enjoyed your SF90 Spider if you want to relive those memories.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I think the answer will reveal itself sometime after the SF90 has arrived and you have had proper seat time to distinguish one from the other. If you can comfortably afford it, why not keep the F8? It's a special rig in its own right. If I were to grab an SF90 and/or a Pista, I wouldn't ditch my other Ferraris (488 and 812). I expect all of my cars will belong to my sons one day (which would be better than selling them).

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If you can comfortably afford it, then keep it as it has some sentimental value.

Personally, i would trade the F8 for a "vintage" v8 berlinetta...maybe a Challenge Stradale or a mint 458 when your SF90 arrives so you have both the latest in tech mid engine and one of the greatest V8 regular production Ferrari ever

Caeruleus11 and ab08 like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Two completely different cars. One has boot space for trips and stuff like that, the SF90 does not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Glenn Quagmire

Glenn Quagmire Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 13, 2019
    USA
    The boot space has been my only hang-up about the SF90. Not so much for trips, but my kids hockey bag. It fits neatly in the F8 and the stick tucks in behind the seats. One of the many redeeming features I love about the F8. Although, with Covid, they have to arrive fully dressed and can’t bring hockey bags in with them, so the SF90 should do well in that regard...until life returns to normal

8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it's a complete deal breaker for me with the lack of luggage space for the SF90 as I enjoy touring Europe

SECRET, Traveller and Napoli like this.
  9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This is what keeps me from ordering the SF 90 spider.

I guess I need to dismiss the need for a sports car to be remotely practical

Anyway, this is the trade off for hybrid ICE / electric. Ferrari finds itself in an awkward position at this stage in time with emissions and performance.

In the not too distant future, the decision will be crystal clear.

Until then, my current fantasy car consists of cobbling together a NA V12 in a mid-rear carbon tub, with the very best Brembo carbon
    Ceramic brakes, slide-slip control, and electrical steering. No Start Stop. No Automatic DCT mode and No hybrid with regenerative braking . And no GPF !

Napoli likes this.
  10. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
    Swap the F8 for an 812 and you’re set!

Thecadster and Napoli like this.
  11. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Not a bad parlay! ;)

Thecadster and Glenn Quagmire like this.
  12. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    When your kid gets big, his gear gets bigger - and you will no longer be able to Ferrari your player around in an F8. In time, those sticks will surely not tuck behind the seats - or anywhere else. Get a Purosangue! :cool:

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  13. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Definitely keep the F8! The SF90 is just not a beautiful car to me. It is a Ferrari, and I love all Ferrari’s, but it’s just not beautiful. The 458/488/F8 styling was so much nicer, avant garde, and pure unmistakable Ferrari. The SF90 is a step backwards and now it looks like any other androgynous supercar from Mclaren or elsewhere.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
  14. ilCapo

ilCapo Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2020
    Italy, Canada, the Cayman Islands
    Full Name:
    Frank Schilling
    Purely an economics question here. These are different cars. From a love, posture difference and standalone drivability perspective the only answer is: YES. There may wind up being less F8's in certain years than Pista's and IMO the F8 is the better car.

seareveler and Glenn Quagmire like this.