Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Had 458 spider, 991 GT3 and 580-2. All great cars. Glad the 580 is a coupe as it gets a lot more attention than the other two. 580 has more modern interior, GT3 and 458 more analog. All 3 sound pretty good. The 580 sounds the best and has the sports exhaust option. The throttle response on the 458 is the best.

humdizzle and Ash Patel like this.
  2. mas8002mi

mas8002mi Karting

Sep 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mahe
    keep the 458

3. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I vote keep the 458 as well! I like the 488 but I wouldn’t get rid of the 458 if I already owned one.

4. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah and there is a reason they are discounting those cars so heavily!

5. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    To me the 458 just looks SEXY, while the other cars are aggressive looking... They don't have the lines that the 458 has.

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    IMHO the Ferrari 458 will go down as one of the greatest Ferraris ever produced. The 458 has set the standard in modern day “exotics” where form seriously impacts function. Every single line and angle on the car not only imparts beauty but is there for a reason. The flexible mustache wings in the front lower grill create downforce with speed to plant the car. The air intakes behind the rear driver and passenger side windows on the coupe allow air passage directly into the engine compartment. These are subtle ingenious design cues that that are unique to the 458. The 458 successors have lost these fluid lines and are slowly taking on the look of any other exotic brand. From a design perspective, the 458 can truly be described as rolling sculpture.

7. FE458IT

FE458IT Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto

Huracan is a blast but the 458 is a legend.

I plan on buying another one in a few years, expecting a 600LT spider which i'll drive for a few years but the 458 will be my keep forever car after I get my fill of the Mclaren.

PhilNotHill and Graz like this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree 1000+
    I love the era of car design from 2000-2010. All of these models had sleek curves before the angular “transformer” chopped up designs. Lines were fluid.
    CGT, 430, even Murcielago....

Sent from my 16M

Graz likes this.
  9. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Keep the 458, I own a late 2015 Spider - would I exchange for a 488 now their deprecating like a stone to similar price levels - no way.
    My car has 5,000 miles on the clock and my dealer last week telephoned and asked to buy it back, to scratch a new itch - the problem is the 488 motor just feels like the 2017 M6 Comp pack I drive everyday, faster I agree, similar sound (BMW has the akraprovic system) - and that’s not what I want in a Sunday morning car.

For me the 458 is a real Ferrari sweet spot - and in some ways I wish it wasn’t, I know it’s flawed, but it’s really got under my skin.

Just my two pence worth.

10. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Agree...except the flawed part. The newer cars always get better, but I seriously can’t say my 458 is flawed in any meaningful way. Absolutely amazing car. Seems like one that I would always regret selling. So I don’t plan to!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Avia11 and PhilNotHill like this.
  11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Cognitive dissonance makes us defend the cars we currently own.

So you are tired of your 458. Let me suggest you unplug the lines to the ballasts before you make your decision. This will open the exhaust system and you will hear the engine/exhaust music at all rpms. Heaven.

Speed. Sometimes the speed of the 458 scares me. So speed is not the problem. The 9,000 rpm is unique in a road going fcar. So before you get rid of one of the best Ferraris ever made, l invite you to explore the magic of the 458.

Perhaos if you drift alot and track alot you need to make a change. But if you just want to explore the fun of driving one of the best Fcars ever made, keep the 458. You won’t regret it. But if you leave her, you may find that was a really bad decision.

Good luck. And may the horse be with you.

tekaefixe likes this.
  12. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    The 458 is a great car for drifting - if you switch to ESC off and know what you are doing. Very well balanced for a mid engine car.

13. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

OK - Maybe flawed was a strong word, " it has its faults" would be a better term - rigidity (spider), some controls etc. But for me this is character and it's increasingly being engineered out in many later cars - I'll be keeping my 458 whatever newer Ferraris I might add in the future.

14. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Think of it like this, most 458 Italia, Speciale owners drive with the windows open to get a bit of the sound, now imagine which sound you would get without the roof...thats the spider!
    Yes less rigid but if you push it hard you dont really notice it because youre too involved in the drama and dont really care about anything else!

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The 458 has the last NA V9 engine, was never a better one ...

thebigo likes this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    V8 … sorry