Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2? | FerrariChat

Keep 458 or trade for 488 or Huracan 580-2?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ash Patel, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So summer arriving here and F8 is out of reach this summer off course.

Meanwhile I have the itch to try something new, but not sure if either 580-2 or 488 would be a upgrade from my current 458 in regards of driving pleasure?

Will I regret if I switch, if not, which one is the liveliest one to drive = the most fun to drive and slide around with a bit which I do every time I take the 458 out.

I will barely go to 4-5 track-days in a year so that aspect is not very important, neither is the straight line performance to be honest.

The price is almost identical here i Sweden for 488 vs 580-2 - depreciation I don't care as I drive around 35 000 KM per season and they will depreciate like hell as all my cars up to date have (except the 458).

Is the price difference up from the 458 around 60 000 EUR justified? What's the fellow Ferrari-friends here on the forums opinion on this?

These are the cars I am looking at:
    488 (high mileage)
    https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Ferrari_488_CAPRISTO_SKALSTOLAR_7_ARS_FRI_SER_84366863.htm?ca=11&w=3
    Huracan 580-2 (very low mileage)
    https://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Lamborghini_Huracan_580_2_80634646.htm?ca=11&w=3

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Stick with what you got and then go for the F8.

JanStuart, randkin, PJxxx and 3 others like this.
  3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Your 458 doesn't have enough power to slide around?

When I get the itch to get a new car, it is usually because I haven't driven my current car hard in a while. What I generally need more than a new car is to get off my butt and go out and drive!

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    keep 458

plastique999, RayJohns and xfrgtr like this.
  5. Yang Yang

Yang Yang Karting
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari F8 Tributo
    I've hesitated on 488 before. I think if you don’t care the deprecation, you will have fun with your 488. But in my opinion, maybe keep your 458 is a better choice.

liquid360 likes this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My opinion is no matter what the upgrade will involve Turbo's. Massive upgrade to power

The 488 GTB is awesome. I have no interest in Maclaren unless you could get me a F1 at the 488 GTB price :)

Electrics to me, NO WAY so if I was in your shoes WAIT and save up for a F8 . Last most powerful V8 Ferrari and no electrics.

And if you go second hand the prices will be better when the F8 replacement is shown.

The F8 has all the upgrades to cooling something that is an issue with Turbo cars. It has the PISTA engine 100%

LVP488 and Ash Patel like this.
  7. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    Once you drive the 488, you'll buy it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

liquid360, F430abdo and sampelligrino like this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Buying a 488 now when the F8 will be available next year, makes ZERO sense.

Shark01 and xfrgtr like this.
  9. DMantooth

DMantooth Karting

Dec 24, 2018
    Why does buying something you enjoy for a year makes ZERO sense?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    Interesting topic.....I was out of town visiting and visited a Ferrari dealership last week....the sales guy asked me if I owned a Ferrari....I told him about my 2015 458 Spider....he immediately asked if I wanted to sell it.....he told me they had a list of customers looking for 458s....
    I returned home this week and got a call this am from another salesman at the same dealership with an offer....I told him that I would not be interested unless I received an outstanding deal...for a 488 GTB or Spider....he also said they had quite a few customers looking for 458s......

xfrgtr and of2worlds like this.
  11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    If you are solely looking at it from a value/financial/depreciation standpoint yes absolutely

Otherwise I personally find this statement quite false and quite subjective :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F430abdo likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It makes no sense since he has a 458 to keep him entertained until the F8 arrives.

Shark01 and xfrgtr like this.
  13. martisracing

martisracing Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I have just replaced my 458 Spider with a 488 Spider. Unless you really want the NA experience the 488 is better in evey respect. The grip and handling is better, the performance is better and even the screen display controls are improved. The exhaust is different (more bass) but even that is not disappointing in my opinion. Also you can open and shut the roof upto 30mph that you cannot do on a 458. To be honest the NA experience and howl of the V8 only happens above 6k rpm and how often do you do that?

Yumeoikake and sampelligrino like this.
  14. PRO SYSTEMS

PRO SYSTEMS Karting

Mar 4, 2017
    Miami, FL
    Keep the 458. They are the ones to hold onto.

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Keep the 458 or get a 488, but definitely not a Huracan. They are very reliable cars, but they lack the X-factor a little bit on my opinion...

jyupitt likes this.
  16. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

The 488 is far more fun to drive than a 458. The 458 was great for the time, but the 488 blows it away.

Power, driving dynamics, more aggressive looks, overall more fun.

Soon the F8 will probably blow away the 488, but it isn't here yet.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This is smart advice.

Also, while 488 has a lot of power, I found it super boring vs Lambo and 458. Vs Mclaren, take your choice.

I would NOT buy a new 488. I also dont expect much in terms of excitement therefore out of the F8.

Viper830tt, Shark01 and xfrgtr like this.
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #18 Shadowfax, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    The red 488 looks to have some nice options such as the two tone paint and the racing seats. I notice it's missing sound the upgrade which is a pity...but not a deal breaker. If you're currently doing 35k per year then you are clearly driving the car and will therefore get to experience the significant power and chassis improvements over the 458. So on that score I would not hesitate shifting from the 458 - you've had your fun it it, time to move on! Plus unless you plan parking the 458 up as a collectors piece it will drop like a rock in value as the miles increase. So in that sense it pays to change cars, run up miles and change again, so at least you get something for it when you do make a change.

I've found the 488 to be an absolute incredible machine and reading the advice from the usual 488 haters makes me laugh and shake my head. To even suggest a 488 is not exciting to drive is a MAJOR indictment of a number of issues best not gone into here IYKWIM ;). If you are a driver, which you clearly are, and actually get to properly use the equipment on a regular basis the 488 will be a pleasure to own in EVERY every conceivable way.

The only advice I can give as a current owner is; I'd get one bought asap if I were you.

Viperjoe and Ash Patel like this.
  19. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I'd trade, as I did in the past, with the Huracan but the 610-4 ;)

20. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The 458 and 488 are quite different cars. Both work in the same garage, IMO ;)

21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Love my 580-2 and it's a different enough driving experience from the 458 Spider to make ownership interesting so far. I'm actually pleased with how functional a daily driver the Huracan is.

of2worlds and Shark01 like this.
  22. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does it compare driving dynamics to 458? Which one is the most fun? Which one was easiest to slide around in?

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    did drive my friends 610-4 and was extremely disappointed with how it felt in the road which was very heavy and not near as good steering feedback as the 458

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Its lively like the 458. I previously owned a 610-4 and wasnt a fan of the 4wd which felt heavy coming from 458 with more understeer during sharp cornering. The 580 has a go kart feel, its short only 175" and is playful in cornering. The linearity of the v10 is sublime and the engine sounds fantastic. I have the Sports exhaust. My friend has the Race exhaust which sounds nuts. Theres some synthetic burps and farts on throttle lift but im used to it now. You get a lot of attention more than the 458 but its been all positive so far. The jetfighter interior and virtual cockpit emphasize that the aftention is all on you the driver. I have the unicolor sportivo alcantara interior with deviated red stitching and it looks sporty. My 458 was all leather black interior with chiaro stitching and more sophisticated. Some complain about the plastic bits but I have gloss black trim around the center console and it looks more than acceptable for my standards with the Branding package. Also have the Style package for the exterior gloss black trim.

PM me if you want to chat.

of2worlds and Ash Patel like this.
  25. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I had a 458 and then a Huracan and a Huracan Performante. I can't understand exactly what you mean but H was much faster, agile and easy to take to the limit of the 458 ;)