Karting - who's serious? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Karting - who's serious?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by bobafett, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ART360

ART360 Guest

more than one set would be appropriate. Seriously Gary, we will be at Sears shortly, and you will get an invite. I got your numbers, and I will call.

Art

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art....you really stink! You had to let me drive your shifter kart. I was at the Oakdale kart shop tonight dropping off Chelsea's kart for some carb work (and my clutch that I smoked Sunday after you left Atwater). I looked at two 125 shifters. It was tough to keep my wallet in my pocket! The shop sells Energy & Margay karts. I tell you, its tempting, but I need to do a year of competitive racing in my 100cc.

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    It is the 250 dirt bike thing all over. Most people can never take the machine to its limits or use all of machine's potential. A totally stock 250 MX bike with a pipe is enough for an Expert level racer.

I have been around karting for a while and here is what is weird: I have seen really fast guys (everyone thinks that they are fast) that could literally beat a 125 shifter on sticky tires in a 80cc shifter on YDS hard tires. Those same drivers could beat a 125 shifter in a Rotax or parilla. Again, it is all driver skill, and most people never reach the machine's full potential.

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'm sure that Memo would be faster than me if he were in a 100. Having said that, once you've got a little skill, and a longer track, like Infenion, the extra power, better brakes make a difference. At first, when I just got the kart, everyone was passing me. Now I only see the other shifters go by, and not a lot of them. I may not be the faster guy out there, but top 10% for sure. The rotax 125 is a good kart, and with the starter, it makes some sense. Problem is, I took a big step down from the bikes to these, and I just didn't want to drop too far. I know that on certain courses the karts (at least the 125 shifters) are faster than the bikes, but it just doesn't feel the same.

Art

5. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Most people do not have the same background as you do (with the bikes). I talked to several guys at Dixon (small track, good for getting your kart set-up) and they had never raced anything. They all started out in the 100cc Can Class and they thought that that was a lot for them. I agree, coming off of any bike dirt or street, the knowledge and experience that you gain is invaluable. For you the 125 shifter makes sense, for 98% of the public (combined with disposable income) a Rotax is a pretty cool deal. If they are new to karting, they do not need to always bring a friend to help them start their clutch kart. As far as shifters go, for someone like you or me, I could push my kart, jump in and bump it into gear and go. Most newbies would not be able to do that. Also, the rotax has the same roller chasis and is in at least a 2001 or newer chasis. It allows someone new to the sport to quickly ramp up and turn decent lap times in several outings. Although not considered a premire class, the rotax max class is growing and has some really good drivers in it. I do not drive or race a Rotax but for the right person they are a good fit.

My.002

6. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Last Sunday I took 'one more' lap session and did not check the oil in my 100cc blow clutch. Smoked it on the third lap! Today I learned NOT to push another kart with my other 100cc kart. That clutch got smoked also! $340 later, I'll be off to the track on Saturday. The 125 Parilla is starting to look pretting good right now!

7. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I just went by the indoor carting place in Burlingame (gokartracer.com). It was hopping, a huge line snaking out the door ! While it was mostly teenagers with lowered Integras out front, the two tracks looked interesting, good turns, an elevated bridge, video games, a lunch counter, some pool tables, and good viewing from the window/couch setup in the front. I will have to see how it compares with speedring.org, as I have only driven that one. I recently improved my time there, but a 34 second lap still sucks, so I have more work to do (the second time I went with my boss, so I could not make him look silly...excuses, excuses...). Man, my wrists and arms are sore from just the 40 minute session.
    I will probably try the Burlingame track one lunchtime in January...$20 happy hour fee seems a no brainer.

thx
    luke

8. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr

Try Leading Edge in Lodi, Ask for Greg Bell, he is a old friend of mine, he is selling the 125 parilla`s using the Track Magics frames.

125`s are tons of fun

9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #59 PeterS, Jan 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Arie..Thanks for the name. I do have a great rap with the owner of Yazco in Oakdale. He is pretty close when I need parts. He just got a shipment of energy karts, so I'll have to beat him up on a price to move one to my garage! Do you have interest in meeting up and driving at Atwater? I plan on being there next Saturday, mid AM if it is not raining. Aslo, I just put a different set of pods on my Tony Kart. Not legal for races, but they look pretty good!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    would love too, but I sold my 135 Comet, since then Im kart less.

but we could hook up in Stockton someday?
    I do borrow my friends 125 shifter kart sometimes.

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Arie..No problem! I also have a 2002 Invader KT100. If you have a kid between 9-11, he or she will probably fit in my ten year old's Invader with a Komer 80cc. I tow all three karts to the track.

12. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    SOUNDS LIKE FUN!

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

If the weather is ok (above 55 degrees), I'll probably go to Atwater on Saturday. I'll bring the ICC kart. Let's keep in touch over this trip.

Art

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ART: Right now, the weather looks OK for Saturday.

ARIE: I have never been to the stockton track, but I hear it is shorter than Atwater. That would probably keep me off of it. Atwater has a great straight-away that goes into a 180 banked left turn followed by a tight right into corkscrews....Its a blast! Join us on Saturday!

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Now there is rain in the Modesto area forecast for Sat AM

16. ART360

ART360 Guest

Weather.com says partly cloudly on Saturday for Modesto. Should be ok.

Art

17. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    bummer I work Sat,
    self employed, :(

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ART...I think you are right, from the weather at www.mymotherlode.com

Friday

Mostly cloudy

High
    54° F
    Low
    41° F

Saturday

Partly sunny

High
    53° F
    Low
    36° F

Sunday

Clouds and sun

High
    53° F
    Low
    37° F

19. ART360

ART360 Guest

Peter:

What time are you going to be there?

Art

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    ART: I plan to be there around 10:00AM. I need to leave around 3:00-4:00. I have to drive back to Sonora (I'll have Chelsea with me), drop the karts and drive to San Jose where I will stay for an AM flight to Vegas.

21. ART360

ART360 Guest

That should work. I'll plan on getting the kart either today or Friday, leave from the house on Sat AM say at 8am.

Art

22. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I jumped in Art's new shifter this afternoon. Down the straight, coming into the banked turn, I am sure Art heard me say (from the bleachers where he was standing a quarter mile away) HOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII^%$%$& !!!!!

Too damn fast for this kid! The speed is just insane! Not saying that I would not jump at the chance again, but I am VERY happy with my 60MPH KT100!

23. LA Swede

LA Swede Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    SoCal
    hey, that is me doing my best impression of a barrell roll there. upside down. yeah, it hurt. a little.

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

That looks very ugly. I've had my share of crashes, but that seems to be one of the better pictures.

My kart is being worked on but let's think about another track day. anyone interested?

Art

25. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Art,

I am very seriously thinking about getting into it, so keep me posted on your upcoming karting events please.

--Dan